You are not logged in.

IC2 Experimental builds (jenkins):
v2.0/2.1/2.2 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.6 (For Minecraft 1.6.4/1.7.2/1.7.10 / 1.8.9 / 1.9.4 / 1.10)
IndustrialCraft² recent version: v1.117! (For Minecraft 1.5.2 → topic)

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 4:29am

[GT-6] Waste-free smelting and ore processing

NOTE: The information in this thread may become obsolete at any point if Greg changes the behavior of the Crucible at any point. Test before applying.

GregTech 6 introduces a new form of metal processing: the crucible. In this thread I will assume you know the basics of smelting with this block: the mold, the automation, the energy/fuel-to-heat conversion ratio and associated math, as well as the quirks of the crucible that I will explain below:

• The crucible holds up to 16 units of material at a time.
  • Items physically thrown into the crucible or fed into it via automation (through the top, typically via hopper) are processed one at a time. The item entering the crucible generally has the temperature of the surrounding biome, with exceptions such as lava/ice.
  • If it is force-fed a stack or an item which exceeds its capacity, said stack/item will be "queued" in the crucible, and not be in the molten mass inside that you can interact with. Accordingly, it will not affect the temperature/mass of the crucible's contents until processed.
  • When enough space is created in the crucible, the queued item will be processed, appropriately changing the temperature of the mixture as if you had thrown it in at that moment. No material is wasted during force-feeding, they will just not be instantly processed.
  • As a result of the above rules, hoppers will deposit one more item into the crucible than it can hold, then stop outputting until the queued item is processed.

Now, onto the content: You might be processing all your ores into dust to get nice, whole number ratios for smelting: macerate, wash, centrifuge, then crush again. The last step, however, is wasteful - centrifuged ore is worth 11/9 units of the material, whereas the dust is only worth one unit. This guide aims to give you guidelines on calculating the exact quantities needed for common smelting operations.

Clarification:
  • Ore - refers to Purified Ore OR Centrifuged Ore. Both are worth 11/9 (1.222) units of the associated material. Not the ore block or the crushed ore, which contains stone.
  • Pile - refers to a tiny pile of dust (1/9, or 0.111 units), unless specifically stated otherwise. Scrap can be substituted.
  • Compound ore - ores that directly smelt into the metal, but do not smelt directly at a 1:1 ratio (3 Garnierite smelts into 1 nickel, for instance)
  • Compound ore recipes will not be mentioned here - it can be assumed that you can just substitute them in the appropriate ratio for the pure ores (you could, for instance, use 36 tetrahedrite ore instead of 9 copper ore in a recipe calling for the copper ore).
  • Iron processing will have a section be specifically dedicated to it - the ash/carbon requirement is special.

Ore Washing:
There are currently only two real options: Ore Washing Plant, and cauldron manual washing. If time and convenience is no factor, the decision is quite simple - check the Ore Byproduct List in NEI, and evaluate whether the primary byproduct is more valuable than the other byproducts. Copper and Bauxite, for instance, are better to hand-wash as they have very valuable secondary/tertiary/quaternary byproducts (Cobalt-60/Gold/Nickel and Titanium/Gallium/Aluminium respectively), whereas their primary byproduct is relatively worthless (Cobalt and Grossular dust). Hand-washing is also currently the only way to get the tertiary/quaternary byproducts right now, so sometimes it's even worth hammering purified ore to hand-wash them again, if those byproducts are particularly valuable.

Centrifuging:
Unless you are dealing with a gem ore that you need the whole gem for (Coal, Diamond, Apatite, etc.), always centrifuge the ore. Centrifuged ore is the same value as purified ore and gives a byproduct for free.

Crushing:
This step, currently, yields no byproduct and just wastes the material. The main reason people do this is to get nice ratios for smelting or to get dust (such as centrifuged redstone), but it's possible to simply convert the material to scrap (via throwing in cauldron) and macerate the scrap to get the dust losslessly.

Convenient Smeltery Ratios:
For compound ores, find the ratio of the metal obtained from smelting the ore, then throw a number of ore into the cauldron equal to 9 * the denominator of the ratio above. This will yield 11 units of that molten metal to be cast into any shape you want (For instance: Pyrite = 1/4 iron, so throwing 9 * 4 pyrite ore into the cauldron will give 11 iron.) Ores can be used for combination smelting recipes with whole dusts, if you make up the difference with tiny piles of dust.
  • 2 units - 1 ore + 7 piles.
  • 3 units - 2 ore + 5 piles.
  • 4 units - 3 ore + 3 piles.
  • 5 units - 4 ore + 1 piles.
  • 6 units - 4 ore + 10 piles.
  • 7 units - 5 ore + 8 piles.
  • 8 units - 6 ore + 6 piles.
  • 9 units - 7 ore + 4 piles.
  • 10 units - 8 ore + 2 piles.
  • 11 units - 9 ore.

Some convenient applicable ratios are listed here; you may already know some of this. If there are some I missed please let me know and I will add them.
  • Banded iron: 4 ore + 1 pile + 2 dark ashes + 3 marble => 2 iron
  • Banded iron: 8 ore + 2 piles + 4 graphite + 3 marble => 4 iron
  • Magnetite: 5 ore + 8 piles + 3 dark ashes => 3 iron
  • Magnetite: 18 graphite ore (11 carbon) + 42 magnetite ore => 11 iron
  • Steel: 9 iron ore + 1 pile + 2 tiny piles of carbon dust (or 4 tiny piles of graphite dust) => 11 steel + 1 nugget
  • Red Alloy: 9 copper ore + 36 redstone ore => 11 red alloy

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Nonotan" (Sep 29th 2015, 4:36am)

GregoriusT

inactive IC² Dev but still active GT Dev

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 9:57am

NOTE: The information in this thread may become obsolete at any point if Greg changes the behavior of the Crucible at any point. Test before applying.
Hahahahaha. I don't think I will change anything major. Anyways, I stickified this Thread.

Also, you should have added a second Post (I will delete the ones inbetween including this one if needed), because you only have 4500 Characters left.
I don't say, your "insert whatever here" is bad, I'm only showing possibilities for making it better.

GregTech Website

Patreon really helps me out, so if you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it full time, why not?

GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.

I'm also reachable on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account to contact me, for example. ;)
(I'm there almost every day, but only when I'm at my own computer, and yes you can drop bugs there too)