You are not logged in.

IC2 Experimental builds (jenkins):
v2.0/2.1/2.2 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.6 (For Minecraft 1.6.4/1.7.2/1.7.10 / 1.8.9 / 1.9.4 / 1.10)
IndustrialCraft² recent version: v1.117! (For Minecraft 1.5.2 → topic)

Dear visitor, welcome to IC² Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, March 11th 2017, 10:30pm

Quoted

Can someone give me a quick explanation of why to use the big centrifuge tower over the single block centrifuge?

Each time you go up a tier, the min and max power you can supply goes up by a factor of 4, but the total power required to complete
the recipe doubles. This has two effects: firstly, you pay twice as much energy per completed recipe; secondly, your effective
increase in speed is only 2x, not 4x. This is the "overclocking penalty".

If you want to centrifuge a 16 RU/t recipe at 512 RU/t, then you need to use the HV centrifuge, going up two tiers and suffering 2
lots of the overclocking penalty. You would spend 4x as much per recipe, and get an effective increase in speed of 8x rather than
the 32x you might have hoped for.

The big centrifuge has 50% efficiency but doesn't impose the overclock penalty. Even at it's minimum of 512 RU/t, you only pay
2x the recipe cost (due to the efficiency loss), and get 16x increase in speed, compared to the 8x of the single-block.

The difference is most dramatic at 2048 RU/t. With the multi-block you pay 2x the recipe cost and get a 64x speed increase.
With the single block, you pay 8x the recipe cost and get a speed increase of 16x.

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 12:48am

I think the choice of 144 has something to do with it being the LCM of 16 and 9 (9 so that nuggets can also be melted; I'm having a harder time figuring out the need for it to be a multiple of 16 - maybe something to do with glass panes or iron bars)

1/9 for tiny dusts, 1/72 for micro dust, 1/144 for half that to allow for 1 iron and 1 tin micro dust each to make 1/72 of the resulting tin alloy. This is why when you mix you get 2L of the needed 144L (1/72 of the total to make an ingot). I'm assuming this is the reasoning.

That makes sense for GT6, but the number was used before GT6 was started, and in other mods as well, which do not have micro dusts or the like.
I believe it was originally TiC that set the standard, and it was chosen because 144 = 12^2, and 12 is the smallest number greater than 10 that is a multiple of 2 and 3

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 1:11am

The auto igniter takes EU and will attempt to set fire to the block in front of it; if that block is a burning box it will light it instead of creating a fire block.
The only trick to it is providing it with a power supply that you can toggle on and off, for which the Redstone Machine Switch cover works best.
Typically, I use the LV version connected to an LV battery box with a Redstone Machine Switch cover. If space allows, I also use a ProjectRed pulse former
to create as brief a redstone pulse as possible so as not to waste EU. If you are placing many on a branching wire then it is best to place either a battery
box or transformer immediately before each igniter, otherwise some may not fire.

So can it face any side of the burning box, or only the front?

look for a apitite vein for phosphor for matches. they are very easy to craft and lite a lot better than flint and tinders. as for flint, just keep digging, digging, digging. ;) you will have lots of gravel but hey gravel makes nice roads and railroad beds.

The problem early on is that digging, digging, digging burns up flint picks fast, hence why I burned through a ton of flint mortars to get more flint from cobblestone hammered into gravel.

GregoriusT

inactive IC² Dev but still active GT Dev

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • "GregoriusT" started this thread
  • Germany

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 1:12am

honestly, I didnt know tinkers had the 144 standard, I just thought "well it must be divisible by 9, but also by 4, 9x4 = 36, what is a bit low, so I made it 36x4 which is 144"
I don't say, your "insert whatever here" is bad, I'm only showing possibilities for making it better.

GregTech Website

Patreon really helps me out, so if you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it full time, why not?

GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.

I'm also reachable on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account to contact me, for example. ;)
(I'm there almost every day, but only when I'm at my own computer, and yes you can drop bugs there too)

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 3:10am

netherrack dust combining.

With rotarycraft in my pack, it is not possible to manually combine small or tiny netherrack dusts into their normal counterpart in a crafting table. The normal dust is listed as a rotarycraft item, while the small and tiny dusts are from gregtech.

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 3:18am

The other problem I just remembered from early game about not having the hand mortar and pestle is the ability to make your first bronze for your first crucible/burning box. IIRC, you said the tin+copper dust hand mixing recipe with 50% loss was intentional to help bootstrap, but without the mortar and pestle, this is no longer possible.

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 11:44am

iirc, you don't need bronze for the lead burning box (and crucible is just clay)

Xircom

Tree Cutter

• "Xircom" is male

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 12:02pm

Yeah, but it's nice to skip the 50% efficiency burning box and get the 75% one right away ;)

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 2:02pm

Just a few random questions...

I was looking to hit the 64RU to max out my bronze centrifuge and be able to run the recipes for the sluice juice and netherrack dust. I can do that with a steel turbine for 192/steam.. When checking the boilers, both the chrome and dense bronze can do that. For the heat units to match the boilers, it turns out to be the titanium burning box (and dense bronze) that corresponds with the correct number of heat units.. Is a titanium burning box and chrome boiler right? Everything else seems to match up so the same material is used both in the boiler and burning box. Edit: I just double checked, and the chromium boiler requires 96/HU which matches the output of the titanium burning box. The Titanium boiler needs 112/HU which matches the chromium burning box. It looks like these two are possibly switched?

Where does one find nickel? I know the pentasomething ore converts into nickel, but I've only found a few small ores of it, and obtained some tiny dusts as byproducts. I am needing invar to progress down the tech tree. Are the nickel ores found in the huge GT veins? (or are they one of the minor ores in a vein I might have missed?)

What is the best way to process down magnetite? I know it can be put into a mercury bath for a whole gold, or sluiced for small piles. Since there is lots and lots of magnetite, I'm thinking the mercury bath would be better for the silver containing ores instead, as there aren't a lot of sources of silver. Am I missing out on much by just sluicing, shredding, then centrifuging the magnetite down to dusts for the crucible?

Thanks.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "netmc" (Mar 12th 2017, 2:33pm)

bear989

Mod Breaker

• "bear989" is male

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 2:59pm

ok last thing first, best is subjective in Gregtech, what is the best way for one may not be the best for anyone else. I have even found where the best way to do something changes as time goes on in the game world. My suggestion for magnetite is do whatever way gives you the most desirable materials to you at the time.

now on to the boiler question, many of us have pointed this out in the past, with the same result, it is as greg feels it should be.

garnerite and pentalandite are both small ores you can find with nickel as the main element, but yes there are veins with nickel ore in them.
Gregtech 5 & 6 tutorials and game play
https://www.youtube.com/user/aBear989

Sunday, March 12th 2017, 6:51pm

About 5 minutes later, I was exploring the nether and found both a vein with all the various nickel ores, and a nether fortress. :) I now have enough nickel to upgrade my tools to blue steel. :) I can also finally make stainless steel.

I never realized how many different machines are needed to start getting automation going. I still have to make a bath, lathe, press, laminator, coagulator, squeezer, electrolyzer, mixer, fermenter and distiller. I'm trying to use Greg's way of making power instead of using the forestry ethanol production. I will still have to use a forestry multi-farm for automating a tree farm as I don't think GT has any method of doing that part yet..

Monday, March 13th 2017, 1:04am

I still have not been to the nether and I'm trying to get enough stainless steel to make the distillation tower. Have a CESU to buffer EU from the MV dynamo to boost it up to 128 eu/t to run the MV electrolyzer so I can do sufluric acid processing of purified ores. Spent the last two or three weeks trying to breed liveroot to make the ironwood turbine so I won't need the kind of cheaty CESU to make the electrolyzer run, and have finally given up and just used a bunch of the titanium dust I got from processing bauxite and titantium ore before the switch to rutile happened and made getting it harder, though technically I do now have enough refined schelite that I could electorlyze it to get the tungsten to make a smelter to produce the titanium.

I have been getting all of the nickel I need from magnetically separating sluice sand, sluicing yellow limonite, sluicing gold, and mostly slucing the massive stock of i2c copper I have found ( still have thousands of uncrushed ore ). The last certainly been my largest source and has provided me with more nickel than I could ever need. It is the crhomium and manganese that has been the hard parts to get for stainless steel. I finally got a ton of manganese from processing the scheelite, and now that I have the titanium turbine, I can finally centrifuge redstone dust to get more chromium than I had been getting from sluice juice and sluicing ruby ore.

bear989

Mod Breaker

• "bear989" is male

Monday, March 13th 2017, 4:40am

find a garnet vein for Uvarovite ores, they give chromium as well as rubies.
Gregtech 5 & 6 tutorials and game play
https://www.youtube.com/user/aBear989

Monday, March 13th 2017, 5:13am

You may want to try your luck in the nether. I found what appears to be 2 different redstone/ruby veins right next to each other as they are larger than a 3x3 chunk. So far, I have found a rutile/zirconium, 2 redstone/ruby, and pentalandite/nickel veins. Since Greg's nether ores don't anger pigmen, the nether isn't too terribly difficult. Just have to watch out for the ghasts. Not to mention, that all the extra netherrack can be ground to dust and centrifuged for sulfer, gold and redstone.

If you just need to make the one ironwood turbine, do you have the twilight forest? You might be able to gather enough manually to build the machine. I myself went for forestry bees. (Although I do plan on starting crops as soon as I get rubber and can make circuits.) I've manually bred up the chain to the energetic bees for an endless supply of redstone, and just finished breeding the robust bee. I'm just 1 line away from being able to start getting the metal and gemstone bees. :) Now I just need to make a genepool and "recycle" the dozen or so double chests filled with junk drones.

I've blown up my first boiler! :( Since I don't have the titanium necessary to make the burning box for the chromium boiler, I went with 3 steel boilers instead. I used the regular steel pipe across the top of the boilers, but it didn't provide enough bandwidth to have the steam slosh around safely. After destroying and remaking 2 of the boilers (luckily the one at the far end blew), I re-organized the pipe layout to make it all work. I placed large steel pipe on top of the 3 boilers. I laid out the pipes so that there was never more than 2 directions the steam could go. Behind the right-most boiler, I placed a regular steel pipe, then next in line was the small steel pipes that run up to the steel centrifuge. I ran the boilers for about 5 minutes, and checked the pipes constantly. The pressure stayed steady this time. The large pipe across the top of the boilers seemed to do the trick. When I was measuring the pipes, the furthest boiler maxed out at 1804 steam, but was normally about 1740. The middle boiler ranged from 1740 down to 1500, and the closest boiler to the centrifuge went between 1740 and 1200. The pressure in the regular and small pipes seemed to stay pretty constant. This setup seems to work without issue. Even so, once I am able to make a dense bronze burning box, or a titanium one, I will be switching it out for simplicity.

GregoriusT

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Monday, March 13th 2017, 1:56pm

https://www.patreon.com/posts/8423617 Anniversary Patreon Post + GT Update ^^
I don't say, your "insert whatever here" is bad, I'm only showing possibilities for making it better.

GregTech Website

Patreon really helps me out, so if you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it full time, why not?

I'm also reachable on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account to contact me, for example. ;)
(I'm there almost every day, but only when I'm at my own computer, and yes you can drop bugs there too)

Monday, March 13th 2017, 3:07pm

Can I generate seawater on other biomes?

Is there any ways to let the seawater generate into the other biomes(not only DeepOcean and Ocean)? In config I don't found any settings to change the biome.
biomesoplenty Have some biomes generate in ocean and these biomes don't have seawater, it is weird, and I don't think seaweeds can display normally in seawater :(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "minecraftisfunmmkay" (Mar 13th 2017, 3:13pm)

GregoriusT

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Monday, March 13th 2017, 3:13pm

Which Biome do you want to have it generate? And no there is no Config for that.

GregTech Website

Monday, March 13th 2017, 3:27pm

Generate ocean water

96 Coral reef
97 Kelp Forest
( Maybe a config setting can work better? Many mods change ocean )

GregoriusT

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Monday, March 13th 2017, 3:29pm

those two should be compatible already

Edit: just checked, those two ARE considered Ocean.

GregTech Website

Monday, March 13th 2017, 3:44pm

The light chunks are water and dark chunks are ocean water, but I'm not sure this is BoP right now :(
Because I try many biome mods, the map may save the old map

Counter:

Hits today: 18,418 | Hits yesterday: 35,349 | Hits record: 152,331 | Hits total: 65,349,858