You are not logged in.

IC2 Experimental builds (jenkins):
v2.0/2.1/2.2 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.6 (For Minecraft 1.6.4/1.7.2/1.7.10 / 1.8.9 / 1.9.4 / 1.10)
IndustrialCraft² recent version: v1.117! (For Minecraft 1.5.2 → topic)

Dear visitor, welcome to IC² Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, December 30th 2016, 12:47am

Various ideas like, Pre-painted cables, or a config option for default white cables, to stop cable auto-connections

Need a way to weave new cables into my existing workspace without them auto-connecting to every cable they pass and potentially blowing stuff up.

Various ideas I came up with:

A config option in the ic2.cfg file that when set true, would then turn off default black cables auto-connecting. Or make all cables start default white - that way the existing rules for black cables auto-connecting could be preserved.

A workbench recipe that would allow cables to be pre-painted before being placed. Optionally, pre-painted cables would not even auto-connect to nearby machines - the end node of a cable that could connect to a machine would need to be NON-prepainted and then painted the same color after placement.

Make difference types of cable (HV, MV, LV) not auto-connect to each other. Painting them the same color would allow them to connect. As most of my cabling problems revolve around trying to get different types to co-exist this would really help, but I think one of the other broader solutions I've proposed would be better.

Color cabling that will NOT auto-connect to nearby machines, unless a wrench is used on it first - although the bigger problem is cabling auto-connecting to other nearby cabling. (The transfer pipes in Extra Utilities 2 auto-connect, but a wrench can adjust their flow directions. That's very cool. But it has less problems since the same transfer pipes can handle items, fluids, and energy simultaneously. That sounds a little too flexible.)

Or make wires encased in construction foam not auto-connect. Then I could place wires, foam them, and later if I ran another wire past it, or added a machine next to it, I'd not have to worry about auto-connection problems. If later a connection was desired, break the foam, connect the wires or machine, and then re-foam. Or perhaps wired that have been foamed, and then painted, can thereafter only auto-connect to wires painted the same color - they would NOT auto-connect to black.

Hopefully one of the above ideas would be the easiest to implement. The whole point is to stop auto-connection. If it's better create some kind of wrench game mechanic that can place cabling into a "lock-down" mode, that would work too and perhaps better reduce cpu-load.

Chocohead

Drowning in mods.

• "Chocohead" is male
  • Korea, Democratic People's Republic of United Kingdom

Friday, December 30th 2016, 2:39am

The pre-painted cables would probably be the best (and easiest) solution at least for the short-mid term. Eventually some way of stopping cables connecting to each other or sides of machines (something like covers) would be a nice goal, but that would be a pain to do.
145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.