You are not logged in.

IC2 Experimental builds (jenkins):
v2.0/2.1/2.2 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.6 (For Minecraft 1.6.4/1.7.2/1.7.10 / 1.8.9 / 1.9.4 / 1.10)
IndustrialCraft² recent version: v1.117! (For Minecraft 1.5.2 → topic)

Dear visitor, welcome to IC² Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 12:23am

Hello :)

I've heard some rumors about Gregtech 6 beeing developed for Minecraft 1.1. is this correct? IF Yes where can i read about it? because i found this in the Q/A from Greg himself:

Quoted

Q: Will you ever update to MC 1.10.2?
A: No I won't. I played with 1.10.2 a little and it was so ridden of Bugs that I couldn't even play it properly. If vanilla
Mobs, Players, Items and other Entities do not sync to me, and are therefore completely INVISIBLE AND UNTOUCHABLE,
WHILE STILL DOING DAMAGE TO ME, and that only because a second Player is close by, then that is a fucking serious Bug,
that must be fixed, before I even consider working with that shit.

Q: GregTech doesnt work on [INSERT NEW MC VERSION HERE] HALP!!!!1!!!1!
A: Read the Thread Title to see if GT is compatible with that MC Version and don't ask ANY Questions about that,
it will count as asking for Release Date for me, causing me to ban you. Minecraft 1.8 , 1.9 and 1.10 will NOT be
supported by my GT. Maybe 1.11 or a later Version, but if 1.11 and future Versions are broken the same way as 1.10.2,
then you will probably never see an MC Update from me again, as I will stay on 1.7.10.
Will 1.7.10 will be the last Gregversion or did he changed his mind?

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 12:44am

Missing forestry squeezer recipe

I found a missing forestry extra trees recipe that didn't find its way over to the GT machines when you added limited support for Binnie's mods Spruce wood in the squeezer produces resin, which when run through the forestry still produces turpentine which is needed in a carpenter with bees wax to make wood polish which is used in the woodworker (extra trees) to craft various wood patterns used in decorations. Since you disable the forestry squeezer (as all other products are craftable using your machines), resin and its ultimate use as wood polish to fuel the woodworker is not obtainable.

Can you please add in a method of creating wood polish? Thanks.

GregoriusT

inactive IC² Dev but still active GT Dev

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • "GregoriusT" started this thread
  • Germany

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 12:51am

Yeah I was still not done with all the Binnie Recipes. And are you sure you dont have IHL installed or something? That Recipe looks like an IHL thing, what I will ofcourse support, but it would be nice for me to know. ^^

As for the Q/A thingy, I will do 1.7.10 for a year or two (maybe longer if finishing GT6 takes a while), and then I will leave MC to make my own Game (still maintaining my Mod once a week or month or so, so only a 99% leave).
I don't say, your "insert whatever here" is bad, I'm only showing possibilities for making it better.

GregTech Website

Patreon really helps me out, so if you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it full time, why not?

GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.

I'm also reachable on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account to contact me, for example. ;)
(I'm there almost every day, but only when I'm at my own computer, and yes you can drop bugs there too)

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 1:33am

Yeah I was still not done with all the Binnie Recipes. And are you sure you dont have IHL installed or something? That Recipe looks like an IHL thing, what I will ofcourse support, but it would be nice for me to know. ^^
I do have IHL, but the spruce wood to resin to wood polish chain is definitely from Extra Trees (Binne's mods)--It uses all forestry machines in the process chain. In previous versions of Binne's mods, there was also a recipe for sap (from all wood besides spruce), but since you couldn't really do anything with it other than burn it in a biogas engine @ 1MJ/tick, it was removed.

Edit:

One other recipe I found interesting. Rotarycraft adds its own bee to forestry. The slippery bee. It's comb output is slippery propolis. In the forestry squeezer (and GT squeezer), it produces 20 L of lubricant. In the GT centrifuge, the same propolis produces 150 L of lubricant. Quite a bit more. In total from 1 comb in the GT centrifuge (assuming you obtain the propolis), you receive 200 L of lubricant. This doesn't impact GT much as the only real use of lubricant is in the buzzsaw. Also considering how much lubricant you can get from a field of canola seeds, I'm not sure there is really much of balance issue, but I thought I would bring it to your attention in case this isn't intentional.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "netmc" (Mar 19th 2017, 2:22am)

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 6:59am

As for the Q/A thingy, I will do 1.7.10 for a year or two (maybe longer if finishing GT6 takes a while), and then I will leave MC to make my own Game (still maintaining my Mod once a week or month or so, so only a 99% leave).
As i was questioning here i didn't thought that the great Greg himself would answer it 8|
Thanks for your great mod! Its the major thing that makes Minecraft to this awesome game.
I'm looking forward to your own game!

I'm not a native english speaker (Obvious). Is this conclusion correct?:
You will develop Gregtech for 1.7.10 for another year or two, until Gregtech 6 finishes, which is also for Version 1.7.10?

Thanks for your time, and for the great gameplay :)
I'm looking forward too my 4th Fusionreaktor :thumbsup:

GregoriusT

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 11:31am

yep GT6 is 1.7.10, and I will finish it before I leave.
I don't say, your "insert whatever here" is bad, I'm only showing possibilities for making it better.

GregTech Website

Patreon really helps me out, so if you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it full time, why not?

I'm also reachable on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account to contact me, for example. ;)
(I'm there almost every day, but only when I'm at my own computer, and yes you can drop bugs there too)

Tuesday, March 21st 2017, 2:30pm

So battery boxes... you can set them to output multiple amps of current, but doesn't more than 2 overload the machine? So what's the use of going over 2? Also you need LV batteries in an LV battery box, MV for MV, and HV for HV, but while there are ULV and a few tiers higher than HV for battery boxes, there are no corresponding batteries to put in them, so how are you supposed to use those?

Xircom

Tree Cutter

• "Xircom" is male

Tuesday, March 21st 2017, 3:28pm

I'm pretty sure that if you put 16 batteries but only need 1A, only one battery at the time will drain, so ony 1A is outputted

Tuesday, March 21st 2017, 6:19pm

I'm pretty sure that if you put 16 batteries but only need 1A, only one battery at the time will drain, so ony 1A is outputted

Obviously more batteries = more storage; the question is why would you ever set it to output more than 2A, since that will overload the machine.

Tuesday, March 21st 2017, 10:22pm

Obviously more batteries = more storage; the question is why would you ever set it to output more than 2A, since that will overload the machine.

To repeat what Xircom said, the EU machines work differently than that. I wasn't entirely sure myself, so my friend and I tested this in our SMP world.

What I did:
1. Make a large LV battery box, place it down, set facing to up.
2. Fill it with 16 LV lithium batteries.
3. Put a manual selector cover on the battery box and set it to "F" (15 packets)
4. Put an LV electrolyzer on top of it.

Here's what happened:

Spoiler Spoiler

Notice the electrolyzer not only isn't exploded, but is running, even though I'm feeding it with 16 batteries worth of power. So what's happening here?

This is probably a more comprehensive answer than you wanted, but here's my understanding of how EU works in gregtech:

Greg's energy net is formed from machines that produce EU, machines that consume EU, and wires that transport EU.
Every tick, a machine can consume up to some maximum amount of EU (2x the "recommended" EU, e.g. for LV machines this would be 2 * 32 = 64 EU).
Likewise, every tick a machine that generates EU (battery box, dynamo, solar panel, etc) can supply some maximum amount of EU.

Every tick, the game tries to satisfy the consumers' energy requirements by moving EU from generators to consumers. This is done by sending "packets" containing some finite amount of EU (32 EU, 64 EU, etc) across the energy net.
The amount of EU in a particular packet is referred to as the packet's size. A packet's size is limited by the voltage of the machine that is sending it (e.g. an LV machine can only output 16-64 EU packets).

If your generators and consumers are connected by wires/cables (hereby referred to simply as "wires"), the packets will pathfind across the wires from generator to consumer.
As packets travel across the wires, the wires check the size of the packets. If the size of the packet exceeds the voltage limit for the wire, the wire burns. If not, the resistance within the wire reduces the size of the packet.
Likewise, the wires keep count of how many packets have traveled across them. This count is referred to as amperage; if the amperage limit for a wire is exceeded during a tick, the wire burns.

As far as I can tell a generator will typically send the largest packets it can; e.g. if a machine needs 64 EU, it would send a 64 EU packet if it can, as opposed to two 32 EU packets.
If a machine receives a packet whose size is below the voltage it requires, then it just wastes the energy (i.e. connecting an LV generator to an MV machine)
If a machine receives a packet whose size is above the voltage it requires, it explodes (i.e. connecting an MV generator to an LV machine).

Machines themselves do not appear to have an amperage limit. They simply accept packets until their EU requirements for that tick are satisfied.
For example, say you have two dynamos each producing 48 EU/t, and you have them both outputting to a single machine that can accept up to 64 EU/t (for simplicity lets pretend they're directly connected so we don't have to care about energy lost to wires).
The first dynamo would send a 48 EU packet. The machine can now accept 64-48 = 16 EU. The second dynamo would then emit a 16 EU packet to satisfy the remaining amount, simply not outputting the remaining 32 EU of its potential EU/t for that tick.

Battery boxes are kind of a special kind of generator. Basically, the batteries themselves are the generators, and the battery box is just an interface for the batteries to interact with the energy net.
If you check out the tooltip for the batteries, you'll notice they have a "size" listed:

Spoiler Spoiler

This means that when placed in a battery box, each tick the battery in the screenshot allows the battery box to emit a single packet of at most 32 EU in size.
So, if you have a large LV battery box and fill it with 16 lithium batteries like I did in the screenshot, it can emit up to 16 packets of at most 32 EU each.
Since most LV machines accept up to 64 EU/t, a battery box containing two or more batteries connected to a machine will send at least two 32 EU packets to satisfy the 64 EU/t requirement of that machine. This means you'd need to use at least 2x tin cables when supplying them with a battery box, even though only one machine is connected!

Selector covers limit the number of packets a battery box can output per tick. They're basically intended for situations where you want to fill a battery box with batteries to increase its capacity, but want to limit the amperage so you could use 1x tin cables for instance.
You can set it anywhere between 0 and F (it's hexadecimal; 0-9 are what you'd expect, A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15).
Values between 1 and F make it emit that many packets. A battery box with a selector cover set to 0 is the same a battery box with no selector cover; in other words, it emits as many packets as it can or as is needed, whichever number is smaller.

To be fair, the tooltip on the battery box can be somewhat misleading:

Spoiler Spoiler

Selector covers actually set the maximum number of emitted packets, not the exact amount.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "theJ89" (Mar 21st 2017, 10:50pm)

HanakoCZ

Industry2.0 server owner

Wednesday, March 22nd 2017, 1:07am

Looking forward for new trees :)

Just a question: Have you tested it with Realistic Terrain Generator, Greg? Will it spawn your trees in a mix of trees?

laurynasl

Melting things and sometimes myself (Gregtech 6)

• "laurynasl" is male
  • Lithuania

Wednesday, March 22nd 2017, 3:47pm

I hope new trees drop more than 1 sapling when cut down.

MauveCloud

Coal Miner

• "MauveCloud" is male

Wednesday, March 22nd 2017, 3:59pm

I hope new trees drop more than 1 sapling when cut down.

The Branch Cutter still exists in GT6, right? Even if sapling drop rate is low (or even zero) by natural decay, I'm guessing it will still be possible to get saplings from the new GT trees with a branch cutter.

GregoriusT

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Wednesday, March 22nd 2017, 4:06pm

Unbelievable how many things I need to take into account when doing Trees, like the Resin Hole should drop a Log when chopped down, same for the Tapped Maple Log. Branch Cutter I did too, even before you mentioned it. At least the Tree Holes cant be moved because TileEntity. And now I actually need to add all those things to Worldgen, because I didn't so far...

GregTech Website

Wednesday, March 22nd 2017, 6:33pm

Squeezer recipes

Greg, can you add the forestry recipes for the full wax capsules to the GT squeezer? I filled up a few chests with creosote from the coke oven as I didn't have enough steel for a tank, and now I have no easy way to empty the capsules back into a tank. The canning machine will supposedly do it, but it requires circuits.

Yesterday, 1:14pm

Sluice juice in centrifuge

How do you handle the water output of the centrifuge when processing sluice juice? I have a drain set up in a river biome, so my pipe system is always full of water. I hate wasting resources needlessly, so I am looking for other options than voiding it. Is there a way I could turn the drain off? Then I could store water in a tank, and fill up from the river only when the water supply gets low.

Yesterday, 1:30pm

So what stops the machine from accepting the first packet, getting only 30 eu because 2 were lost in the wire, accepting a second, and now it's at 60, with room for 4 more.. so it accepts a third packet, and... is overpowered?

Also again, how do you use the ULV and higher than HV battery boxes when there are no corresponding sized batteries?

Yesterday, 2:15pm

So what stops the machine from accepting the first packet, getting only 30 eu because 2 were lost in the wire, accepting a second, and now it's at 60, with room for 4 more.. so it accepts a third packet, and... is overpowered?

Also again, how do you use the ULV and higher than HV battery boxes when there are no corresponding sized batteries?

I'm not certain that Greg's energynet works exactly the same way, but at least in pre-Experimental versions of IC2, it was impossible to over-amperage machines. Overvolt them, sure; but if a machine is given more packets than it needs, it'll just ignore the extras. If a machine only needed some of the EU in a packet, it would either take only what it needed and send the rest of the packet to the next machine in line, sending any excess EU not taken by any machines back to the generator or battery box from which it came; or just store the excess EU in its own internal buffer, and not accept any more packets until the buffer had drained some and was no longer overfilled. I don't remember which.

If Greg's machines work the same way, you don't need to worry about giving them too many amps. It makes sense, really; in real life, current and voltage are tied together by Ohm's Law (Voltage = Current * Resistance). The voltage is dictated by your power supply, and the resistance is an intrinsic property of the machine; so the current will just be whatever it's going to be. You can't control the current except by changing the other variables. You might attempt to boost the current by lining up a bunch of batteries in parallel, but that would just make each of them drain more slowly.

Greg's wires, however, certainly do have amperage limits (which, again, makes sense- the more current flows through a non-superconducting wire, the more energy will be dissipated as heat). So just make sure that your wires are big enough to handle anything that your battery boxes could possibly produce, and you should be fine. At least, if I'm not completely misunderstanding the mechanics.
If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

GregoriusT

• "GregoriusT" is male
  • Germany

Yesterday, 2:44pm

https://www.patreon.com/posts/8540297 Update, Bear already found 2 Bugs to fix so a Bugfix Release is planned. ^^

GregTech Website

Yesterday, 7:42pm

That's a good question, actually. I haven't tested if it sends a third packet due to losses in the wire.
I suspect it wouldn't; my guess is that each tick the consumer says "I needs 64 EU" and the generator responds with "I'll send a total of 64 EU to you" this tick.
As for the ULV and HV+ battery boxes, I couldn't say, we haven't got around to crafting them yet. If none of the existing batteries work in the ULV, it could just be that Greg hasn't got around to making them yet.
As for the higher voltage battery boxes, doesn't GregTech have chargeable crystals that act as higher-tier batteries like in IC2? Do those work?

Counter:

Hits today: 68,072 | Hits yesterday: 42,089 | Hits record: 152,331 | Hits total: 65,077,470