You are not logged in.

IC2 Experimental builds (jenkins):
v2.0/2.1/2.2 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.6 (For Minecraft 1.6.4/1.7.2/1.7.10 / 1.8.9 / 1.9.4 / 1.10)
IndustrialCraft² recent version: v1.117! (For Minecraft 1.5.2 → topic)

Dear visitor, welcome to IC² Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lego11

Tree Cutter

• "lego11" is male
  • "lego11" started this thread

Thursday, September 5th 2013, 8:25am

Are transformers bidirectional?

Are transformers bidirectionals (As in real life) or more like a form of DC-DC converter?
I.e. if I have the following power system:

Spoiler Spoiler

:Generator: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Recycler: :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Generator:

where :Generator: = power plant, :Recycler: = LVt + machines, :HV-Transformer: = mv/hv redstoned transformer

Would this setup allow power to flow in two directions in the HV part? Say the right power plant (A) is in a city, and the other Power plant (B) is in another city. If P.P. A is overloaded will P.P B transmit energy through the HV cable? If the reverse happens? Is there a way to make this happen?
Thanks!

SpwnX

IC² Creative Content Inventor, GT Public Relations Manager and your lovely forum moderator

• "SpwnX" is male
  • Brazil

Thursday, September 5th 2013, 12:09pm

Cable energy transfer is omnidirectional, however Transformers are not like that, (un)fortunately.
Transformers can be used to revert energy flow if redstoned. [Just don't forget that redstoning converts it into a up transformer]

Setup 1 ----> Transformer ----> Setup 2
Setup 1 <--- Redstoned Transformer <---- Setup 2
We need people to document GregTech, help us by joining the FTB wiki team: http://ftb.gamepedia.com/GregTech_6

hoho

Copper Miner

• "hoho" is male

Thursday, September 5th 2013, 12:15pm

If you apply RS signal to a transformer it starts to up-convert instead of down-converting. Though as transformer can only transmit in one direction at a time you'll need to have some sort of separate system to transmit RS signals between two cities to see when one is out of power and the transformers need to change.

Edit by SpwnX : @hoho : Guess what i just wrote before you? :3

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "SpwnX" (Sep 5th 2013, 12:19pm)

lego11

Tree Cutter

• "lego11" is male
  • "lego11" started this thread

Thursday, September 5th 2013, 12:38pm

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to get going a sort of smart grid where customers could produce power that could go into the grid, but now it will be limited to the coverage of the LV or MV grid, and only big producers (coal, fuel and nuclear-fired plants) will be connected to the HV grid, just as IRL.
BTW you can check out my server, it's a Tek***it classic @mc.rgbcraft.tk:25628.

Monday, January 5th 2015, 8:51am

Transformers are bidirectional devices, transformers don't know nor care which way power flows through them. Transformer can pass real power from primary to secondary while simultaneously passing reactive power from secondary to primary.

Thursday, April 21st 2016, 9:09am

Transformers are bidirectional.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2016, 5:05pm

Transformers are bidirectional devices, transformers don't know nor care which way power flows through them. Transformer can pass real power from primary to secondary while simultaneously passing reactive power from secondary to primary.

In real life, yes. In IC2, no.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2016, 5:32pm

In real life things won't work very well, if you power BOTH sides of the transformer, either.
Check out my mods here.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2016, 6:02pm

In real life things won't work very well, if you power BOTH sides of the transformer, either.

Sure it does; how do you think the power grid has more than one generator attached to it? Or how do you think that home PV solar arrays manage to sell power back to the grid? They push the power right back out the line and through the same transformers that it can come down through.

Counter:

Hits today: 12,792 | Hits yesterday: 35,349 | Hits record: 152,331 | Hits total: 65,344,232