The new 5x5 IC² Reactor

• I tried that in my newer reactor planner, and as a fluid reactor, that design is predicted to produce an average of 895.84 Hu/s while running.

I actually use your planner sometimes. Would 900 hu/s be considered efficient?

I'm actually more interested in overall efficiency (energy-per-fuel) than any other metric. Also, I see people typically concerned with producing multiples of 200 for their reactor. I'm hoping that's less critical for me since I'll be using some GT5u infrastructure.

• Official Post

900 hu/t can be directly translated to 450 EU/t with a stirling generator (2:1) or 675 EU/t with IC2 superheated steam systems (2:1.5) and even more EU (843,75 EU/t) if you use GT5U large heat exchanger at max efficiency (about 1:0.9375 If i didnt do the math wrong). I guess it is efficient eh.

• 900 hu/t can be directly translated to 450 EU/t with a stirling generator (2:1) or 675 EU/t with IC2 superheated steam systems (2:1.5) and even more EU (843,75 EU/t) if you use GT5U large heat exchanger at max efficiency (about 1:0.9375 If i didnt do the math wrong). I guess it is efficient eh.

...holy shit. Are you telling me that in a 5x5 configuration its ~5x more efficient? That would be the first ever reason I've seen to implement a 5x5. Praise the spirit gods!

• Official Post

IC2 should really add the large heat exchanger as it really does make heat worth it if you're 5x5-ing

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Choco: verbing nouns like a boss.

Sadly I believe the LHE is busted at the moment but I suspect Blood ASp will have that straightened out shortly. (Tested last night with Lava, bugged results.)

• Pyure:
    In general the higher the efficiency the better it is to go 5x5. 5x5 is almost always more efficient than the regular reactor but the difference increases the higher you go in efficienvy of the design. Just figured out there was a gregtech tab aswell in the reactor planner, oh goodie :D

I will play around with it tommorrow hopefully

Edit: I found one core design that looks promissing:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…krc87mti2jh5o081xugb4l6gw
    Since efficiency is your thing im trying to make it viable for superheated steam ie the heat output has to be evenly divided by 100. My only concern is that it might vary a bit in hot coolant output. You should give it a go in creative and see how it does. If the cooling varies a bit over time it is still not the end of the world, it just means you will need to use a buffer of hot coolant to make sure that the fluctuations never reach the heat exchangers.

Some general numbers
    Efficiency 6,04
    output: 750 eu/tick superheated (500 eu/tick stirling)

For comparison of a regular reactor this has an efficiency that is 5,4 times higher (750 eu/tick/139 eu/tick) putting it at a an actual efficiency of 32,6

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

Edited once, last by Blackpalt ().

• Could you tell me specifically what you want out of the reactor?

Also what transfer mods are you using cause that makes a lot of difference actually. if you have a fluid moving mod that allows you to have higher priority on the heat exchangers used for superheated steam we could probably use your 7 efficiency design to an even higher efficiency than the one above. Then you use 800 heat for superheated steam and you send the rest to stirling generators. in that case your rod configuration would produce 648 eu/tick at an efficiency of 40,5.

• Could you tell me specifically what you want out of the reactor?

Also what transfer mods are you using cause that makes a lot of difference actually. if you have a fluid moving mod that allows you to have higher priority on the heat exchangers used for superheated steam we could probably use your 7 efficiency design to an even higher efficiency than the one above. Then you use 800 heat for superheated steam and you send the rest to stirling generators. in that case your rod configuration would produce 648 eu/tick at an efficiency of 40,5.

You've touched on everything sir.

At face value, the 7-efficiency one is better, both in raw-efficiency and logistics (easier to automate 4 quad rods than a jumble) That said, 440 heat is kind of an awkward number, and I wouldn't be surprised if yours ended up being comparable via higher (100%) superheated steam ratio.

For transfer mods, I have all the usual. EnderIO, BC, ExUTils, AE2. Couple oddballs. I've actually been trying to think of a way to prioritize fluids w/o using the fluid regulator as that thing is crashing for me in IC2 752.

But, it may not be necessary....

GregTech 5u actually adds a multiblock large turbine which works with superheated steam directly. I'm not sure yet, but multiples of 100 may not be critical in that case. (I'll have a wider range of target-numbers to work with due to the variation of turbine rotors at our disposal).

• Official Post

The fluid distributor apparently has a priority system, so if you could use that. The fluid regulator crash bug with 752+ is very annoying design wise.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Do you have steves factory manager?

I know since previous that it fills the containers in order of distance, so the last heat exchanger would get the odd amount

Also, does it have to be a mark 1 reactor? I could try to make a fixed cycle design. There aren't really any other core designs that gives 7 efficiency but the one you have in your design. And if you make it bigger the cooling is not enough. For maximum efficiency that should be the optimal solution

• Hmm....nope.

Fun and powerful mod, but would make some automation a bit too simple for this pack.

A combination of Blood Asp's Large Heat Exchanger and Large Steam Turbine should hopefully make it irrelevant.

• i found one fixed cycle design that is worth looking at:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ub43fdo5cwh2ef5bkuo3pejnk

it runs 25 seconds on, then 38 seconds off and has the highest possible efficiency of 42 and an output of 600 eu/tick. It is the only design that i found that worked thought.

Edited 2 times, last by Blackpalt ().

• That's nuts :)

I'm happy with the design I'm using tbh. I'm just frankly relieved that the 5x5 actually has some value.

Up till now I sorta refused to do anything except for non-5x5-MOX reactors. They're extremely easy to build and use and they breed plutonium. But if I plan on avoiding RTGs (and I do), then breeding plutonium is useless, and it goes through a fair amount of uranium 238 per cycle.

Now that Thorium has been added, its a whole new ball game. That stuff runs efficiently as hell. It returns a small portion of thorium back at end of cycle (25%? I forget) And it runs 5x as efficiently in a 5x5 setup. That last is the part that shocked me to my core.

• If i don't need an even amount of vents i could produce this little thing :)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ui5qofjkrp3ib3rgaxyh5hvr4

5 seconds on and 4 seconds off. And if it is like you said this would produce 840 eu/tick. Don't think its possible to go bigger than this with a single thorium reactor.

Funny thing is that this one would never go above 0 in heat. it produces 1008 heat which is the precise amount the overclocked heat vents pull. The extra heat they accumulate over those 5 seconds is then removed during the 4 seconds they are off :)

• Dunno if I have the requisite anatomy to do an on/off reactor.

Out of curiosity, what's the best U235 5x5 Mark I you've come up with?

• That depends if it is with or without gregtech. The best mark 1 design for 5x5 U235 reactor is zombies old high efficiency reactor which is the best one by quite a fair margain.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…adh05nlzbpykw84kwczan05q8

Never played around with those design much because they where pretty much already optimized by the time i started designing nuclear reactors.

I moved on quite quickly to mark 5 reactors since they are so much better if you can be bothered with the controlls.

On/off reactors are really easy to make, you need one redstone clock that outputs a redstone pulse every cycle (in this case 9 seconds). I think you can do this with vanilla minecraft but ive mostly been doing it with other addons. Then you turn that pulse into the desired lenght by using redstone repeaters.

Regular U-235 5x5 using iridium reflectors is an entirely different matter thought and that has not been optimized to my knowledge. I'm quite certain i could make some really interesting designs that would far outperform zombies old design by a fair margain. Might look into it tonight

• Thx sir, that's great.

The neutron reflectors are definitely buff, that's for sure.

• These are the best ones i've come up with so far:

This one made the only possible core design for efficiency 7 reactor but its a little bit on the small side so i tried to make the design as efficient/cheap as possible.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…2eydtwpuugk1ik8fimolvwdmo

Then i tried to scale it up with somewhat lower efficiency but as high output as possible and i ended up with this:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…bk3myqn6v3x3l36kdc0ay8x6o

I also managed this thing that is between those two:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…4yjhmdtfsnc2v0pg3lol6o5j4

• I'm really happy about this one. The efficiency is 6 so slighly lower than those above but damn is the output high. I managed to squeeze in 672 cooling in this reactor which is the highest any reactor i've seen reach (tied with SSD's high power high running cost reactor but with twice the efficiency).

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…d38knlw05jcjr5je0rfj5imm8

Also since it uses only quad cells its easy to automate and only uses 4 reflectors.

Considering how expensive a 5x5 is to build to begin with i think this is the most bang for you buck considering efficiency, cost and output.

So in comparison with zombies max efficiency design the output is 64 Hu/s higher and uses 2/3 of the fuel, pretty darn good if i would say it myself. it actually even far outperforms my mark 5 reactors and on/off reactors both in efficiency and output.

I don't completly trust the old simulator thought so i think i'm gonna have to try it out in creative. Which modpack where you using?

• Jebus, nice. And yeah those reflectors in particular are incredibly expensive.

I'm playing the Infitech2 modpack. Its an excellent, heavily-minetweaked modpack, but it features Thaumcraft, which some hardcore techers may regard as a crutch.