IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner

• I have made my own version of the reactor planner, which supports the latest IC2 Experimental reactor components, as well as components from GregTech 5 Unofficial. Components from other add-on mods may be added once those mods are fully released (and the details of their components are finalized)

• Supports both EU and fluid reactors.
    • Allows different simulation types: Simple Cycle (turn the reactor on and leave it running until the fuel rods run out), Pulsed Cycle (use redstone control to turn the reactor on and off based on time and/or temperature), and Pulsed Automation (also replace components when they get too hot or too cold).
    • Supports importing designs from Talonius's v3 planner (paste either the bare code or the full url). Legacy components that no longer exist in IC2 Experimental will trigger a warning dialog and their slots will be left empty in the new planner.
    • Allows CSV (comma-separated values) output, of the core heat and damage/heat of each component after each reactor tick, which can then be imported with spreadsheet software and graphed if desired.
    • i18n capable (will need others to provide translations to languages other than US English, though)

Here is the link to the GitHub releases page for downloading the latest version of the planner: https://github.com/MauveCloud/Ic2ExpReactorPlanner/releases

• Official Post

Emm....it just crashes when I try to start it X(

Me too. A java exception occurs :(

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Me too. A java exception occurs :(

does it need to be java?

could it not be done in HTML 5 or something thats less... risky to run untrusted ( Not trying to cause anger from offence ( i do mean to offend) sorry but we don't know you as well as we know player and mojang )
    for me i don't let java run in the browser and limit its connections otherwisewhen running manually.

second if you use a non java it might be easier to run ? who knows :)

hope you can fix the crashing

• Java da bomb though. Screw HTML :P if this was open-sourced and on Github, that'd be great though.

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.

• >implying webpages can't give you viruses

web pages themselves.. no.. HTML 5 probabbly not..
    scripting which is a addon to pages does open up options ( no script handles alot of protection there) .. and java which is notorious for being attacked is a huge window to protect/guard against.

so having it int he more secure programing area makes more sense?

• You are allowed to decompile it so long as you don't use any source code without permission.

Emm....it just crashes when I try to start it X(

As far as decompiling, I presume you mean under the clause "Modifying any or all of the files of IC is permitted without limitations for private use only." I'll try that.

As far as the crashing, could one of you please post the exception details? Thanks. I developed it using NetBeans 8.0.1 and Java 1.8.0_11, but it didn't crash for me even when I ran the jar standalone outside NetBeans.

does it need to be java?

could it not be done in HTML 5 or something thats less... risky to run untrusted ( Not trying to cause anger from offence ( i do mean to offend) sorry but we don't know you as well as we know player and mojang )
    for me i don't let java run in the browser and limit its connections otherwisewhen running manually.

second if you use a non java it might be easier to run ? who knows :)

Technically, no, it doesn't need to be Java, that's just what I'm most familiar with. I could view this as an opportunity to learn HTML5 or whatever, though. :)

It's standalone at the moment, so I'm not sure how you'd make it run in the browser. I can't really blame you for not trusting me, but I can run it just fine inside Sandboxie, in case you're concerned with security - it's almost completely self-contained, except for reading an optional user-specified (and remembered via Preferences.userRoot) path to a resource pack (I have a 4k screen, so I don't like settling for default 16x16 textures). Would it help if I posted hash codes (MD5, SHA1, etc.) so you can verify that the file hasn't been corrupted or hacked on the server?
    I have a copy of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional stowed away, but if I used that and C++ or C# (both of which I'm rusty at), the program wouldn't run (except via emulation) on Mac or *nix, and might be considered even more risky than Java :S

Java da bomb though. Screw HTML :P if this was open-sourced and on Github, that'd be great though.

I was already planning to make this open source, but I was hoping to get some feedback and develop it a bit further first. Also, I was thinking SourceForge, mainly because I hadn't really noticed GitHub. One thing that concerns me is that Wikipedia lists "Commerical" for the "Self-hosting" feature for GitHub. Could somebody please explain what that means? Thanks.

Update: I've looked at IC2 in a decompiler, and fixed my simulator to do two passes per reactor tick (one for handling heat and one for handling energy output) instead of three (one for generating heat and energy, one for vents dissipating heat, and one for exchangers transferring heat). However, I've looked at the code for the exchangers, and I don't really understand what it's doing. I think I'd have to mostly copy the decompiled code to get those to simulate correctly, so who can I ask for permission?

• I was already planning to make this open source, but I was hoping to get some feedback and develop it a bit further first. Also, I was thinking SourceForge, mainly because I hadn't really noticed GitHub. One thing that concerns me is that Wikipedia lists "Commerical" for the "Self-hosting" feature for GitHub. Could somebody please explain what that means? Thanks.

Don't use source-forge. They are let you download adware which install itself and then install original program that you intended to install. Self-hosting mean if you can run github on your own server.

• i know abotu sandboxie its gibsonian approved should use it but don't ( organizing how to keep settings is above my desires)
    consider HTML 5 and such is the way things are moving it would be a good idea to work on it once you have your designer setup better ( IE set a "functional" rule to you and once you reach it switch to porting to html 5 to make it more available)

and your right a EXE is more risky then java is..

i don't know enough about programing for saftey.. so :/ just know its a risk and removing alot of it is best :) but i know i could not do anything and your doing reverse enginering to make the dang thing :)
    I would say it wont hurt to do hashes but would it help?
    doing git hub allows people that know more then me see things easier when someone is bad

others can talk about github more but i assume its mostly open and commercial is for higher end projects? ( assumed)

• No C/C++/C# please :p keep it universal.

(Edit) Also it's probably not a good idea to use Java 8, most people don't have that installed because it breaks mods.

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.

• I have sent the message asking for permission, and I have recompiled my planner with JDK 1.7 (I had to revert the lambda expressions that I'd only added because NetBeans suggested them), which I'm hoping will resolve the crashing issues. In a little while, I will see about signing up for GitHub and posting the project there.

• Official Post

OMG, it's alive! Might be a few rounding issues with the power production, 1 uranium fuel rod seems to generate 1,999,900EU not 2,000,000EU.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Okay, I think I've set it up in GitHub. I hope this is the right url for others to view it (GitHub's help isn't completely clear on that point): https://github.com/MauveCloud/Ic2ExpReactorPlanner.git

As far as the power production, I think that might be an issue with termination conditions rather than with rounding. However, I'm curious: have you actually tried setting up a simple 1 fuel rod and 1 heat vent reactor and left it running for a full cycle connected to an MFE or MFSU with nothing else connected and confirmed that it generates exactly 2 million EU?

• Official Post

I'm curious: have you actually tried setting up a simple 1 fuel rod and 1 heat vent reactor and left it running for a full cycle connected to an MFE or MFSU with nothing else connected and confirmed that it generates exactly 2 million EU?

That's the funnier thing, it doesn't. Like not even close. Last time I tried it made 5 million EU. I don't remember if I attached anything else to it during the 5 and a half hours it was running, but it definitely wasn't near 2 million.

I see this too much.

• 5 million? That's freaky. I figured it might be off by a few percent due to hiccups in IC2 or Minecraft itself, but would not have guessed it could be that far off. It makes me wonder whether it's even worth fixing the discrepancy in my planner.