A list of good reactor designs (IC² v1.103 and earlier)

• Hey, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to nuclear engineering but a bit of messing around with the planner gave me this:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101001501521s1r11r10

As far as I can tell (though I haven't tested it in-game) it's slightly better than the Mark V in the post. In addition to having 2 more effective EU/t (not much really) it's cheaper to make, and has 8 extra slots for whatever nonsense you want to do. Ice blocks especially will quintuple the effective EU/t.

• good design, nothing more to add.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• For some reason this doesnt work on our server. Its running for at least 10 minutes now and is at around 1800 Heat. The configuration is exactly the same, we double checked. I'm really confused on whats wrong here. Either the Temp Reader is wrong, or i'm missing something.

Something is really wrong here. It should have been exploded for long now according to the tool but the heat reading is only at 2500 wtf ?

I've been having the same problem with my breeder built to this specification (SMP, also running Buildcraft 2.2.11, Redpower 2 PR4b, Advanced Machines v3.0 and Tomes). I believe that the problem is caused by Rick not taking into account that heat dispensers and coolant cells can each store 10,000 heat as well. So the design in the first post doesn't need to be given 9,000 heat units in total, it needs 9,000 for the main reactor plus 9,000 for each of the other 29 components, making it a total of 30 x 9,000 heat required. This means that with the existing excess of 60 heat per reactor tick, it would take 4,500s, or 75 min. to get up to temperature..

A bit of playing around with the reactor planner lead me to these two designs for a 6 chamber breeder with more uranium cells for heating - heating config is http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…q=1k101010114010101001019 and the active config is http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…6=1k101010114010101001019

When heating, it produces an excess of 270 heat. It has 32 heat storing components, 11 of which are IHDs, allowing it to transfer 286 heat per second between hull and components (so you won't get a hull meltdown before the components do). This design will take 33 (1 reactor + 32 components) * 9,000 / 270 heat = 1,100s (18m 20s) to reach an operating temperature of 9,000 heat. Meltdown happens at 33 * 10,000 / 270 = 1,222s (20m 22s), when every single component gets destroyed at once. You've got a two minute window to remove the 8 heating cells, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. When active, heat dissipation will exactly equal heat generation, so it can be left unattended.

The cooldown time of this reactor is enormous, with the reactor's built-in 54 heat/second cooling having to remove 330,000 heat (assuming that the reactor's at meltdown temperature) - it will take 6,111s (101m 51s) if left alone or if fed with 17.2 stacks of ice, it will take 1154s (19m 14s) to dissipate all the heat. Best get your breeding done in one batch.

It should be noted that I am a total n00b when it comes to reactor design, having merely copied and pasted the ones listed here (the Mark III with some Redpower circuitry of my own devising for a "constantly" active design and the breeder) for my own use. There's almost certainly a better way to do this and I'd be very happy if someone improved my design for greater cost or time efficiency.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• The first component does indeed melt at 472 seconds, but after 430 seconds of heating, the reactor hull's heat is only a tepid 860 (60 excess heat for 430 seconds is 25,800 heat in total, spread across 29 components and 1 reactor makes 860 for each), since the heat dispensers are very good at sharing that heat with the rest of the components. That's far below the 9,000 required for efficient breeding.

I've tested this breeder on the server I play on and heating it for 430s doesn't recharge cells anywhere near as fast as one at 9,000 ought to. We don't have the thermometer mod installed, but a rough check of the reactor's temperature by looking at the components' health bars indicates that they're still about 9/10 full.

EDIT: in any case, I think that it might be useful to update the first post to indicate how long it will take to get the reactor up to breeding temperature, since 430s fails for at least 3 of us.

DOUBLE EDIT: the breeder I designed has some problems with uneven heat distribution between dispersers and cells. I've just tested it and had to do some babysitting during the warmup to stop components from melting.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Here is mine reactor design,gives 70 EU/Tick,running up to 90% of cycle,BUT it has a breeder function(charges 4 cells),so it's kinda hybrid reactor and is quite profitable,if you think for some minutes-
    If you don't like 90% uptime,just remove one N-D cell and you'll have 100% uptime
    using it now and this makes me happy
    Generally,I don't know what is it more - a usuall reactor or a somewhat breeder
    of course,the HD and CS placement can be easily improved,but I dont feel like it right now
    :)

• Hybrid reactors will never even get near the efficiency of a separate reactor and breeder. We tried that with CASUC long time ago.

Also i found the error in my breeder. Starting heat was set to 9000 which explains the melting after 472 secs. Fixed it it should now work properly.

• Hybrid reactors will never even get near the efficiency of a separate reactor and breeder. We tried that with CASUC long time ago.

Of course it wont - but it's quite nice design,it takes 15 HD(this number can be decreased,in my design HD connects to 2 cooling cells each and that can be even emproved) for 3UC as well as nicely charges up to 4Is.(!) cells,I think,that this reactor is outstanding just like it is - I'm going to make some improvements on it though,to decrease HD amount.I'm quite sure,that 3UC reactors run on ~6-9HD and investment into a breeder is far more expensive,than using my setup./gone in search for improvement/

• Made,well,redesign of your perfect breeder (sounds painful,as I designed this setup fully myself :pinch: )
    Reason,why I think it's better-setup looks much-much easier to remember
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…g=1m101010114010101001010
    Heating configuration:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…a=1m101010114010101001010
    (2 coolant cells at the corners are to be moved in the place of the uranium cells,also - HD from bottom placed on top)

• http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…1k101010037ps011111101110

This one got 3 eff can run alot longer and has over twice the effective eu/tick output. Its also cheaper and has a possibility to run with a breeder making the eff way higher (i think 8 eff or so)

Maybe if you improve yours so that it can be a good alternative to this one i may ad it.

Your breeder heat configuration melts parts after 908 seconds

• Can you show breeder-version?
    Well,one HD,okay..now-better.
    as you can see-my setup goes with 1HD/2CS,in other reactors its ~1HD/3CS,I don't remember which setup it was-guess,have to look up

Well,yeah - it builds up heat pretty quick,that's supposed to be good,right?

• Can you show breeder-version?
    Well,one HD,okay..now-better.
    as you can see-my setup goes with 1HD/2CS,in other reactors its ~1HD/3CS,I don't remember which setup it was-guess,have to look up

Well,yeah - it builds up heat pretty quick,that's supposed to be good,right?

It should build up heat in a reasonable time without melting any parts. At 908 seconds parts start to melt long before reactor heat reached 9k heat.

• I don't get it - how can a max number of cycles be less,than 1 and not have a critical state?
    (not suggesting this setup,just to show this strange..thing)

It takes melting parts in account too. There is a part that melts at 0.62 of the cycle thus it can run only 0.62 cycles.

• It should build up heat in a reasonable time without melting any parts. At 908 seconds parts start to melt long before reactor heat reached 9k heat.

How'd you know that for sure?really,curious