[BUG ≤1.64] Sound engine still on the fritz

• What's the point of even having IC2 sounds if all it does is cause grief once you get past the early game?

Exhibit A: Working just fine, have almost a dozen geothermal generators running and powering a terraformer

Exhibit B: I back away just a dozen or two blocks, and instantly the engine tanks and my fps drops to 0. From this point on it is almost impossible to move, although pressing escape to get to the menu isn't so hard. If I am fast I can fly back to the source of the sound and everything will be dandy.

Edit: images don't seem to work in IC2 forums... very disappointing as I really need to show what I'm doing. Whatever, you should get the point.

P.s. please don't tell me to just shut off the sounds in the config file. That is such a cheesy workaround. I like the sounds! If they got added, they should work darnit!

• Just disable the sounds via the config file.

The soundsystem is still buggy due to the fact that (I think) it's very experimental code at the moment. I don't claim to know much in this regard due to the fact that I'm just starting to learn Java and haven't even come close to touching this kind of arcane code yet, but I can see how tough this is to implement without relying on the Vanilla sound system (which I think can be bug ridden as well at times.)

Edit: Okay, just noticed your edit. Honestly I have no idea for a workaround. Maybe try installing Audiomod?

• Hi ultimate_omega,

I'm starting to see that as disabling sound being the only option for now. It is just depressing for me because I got a taste of what a wonderful sound-filled game Industrialcraft could be, but then I have to take it all away because of a silly crippling bug (why can't we just hotfix it by disabling all sounds past a certain hearing radius?).

I thought Audiomod didn't work with forge. I might give it a shot to see if it does anything.

• That happens to me sometimes too, exactly like you. To fix it I need to leave the server AND restart the client. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often.

Here are your screens, you did it wrong posting them:

• Hi ultimate_omega,

I'm starting to see that as disabling sound being the only option for now. It is just depressing for me because I got a taste of what a wonderful sound-filled game Industrialcraft could be, but then I have to take it all away because of a silly crippling bug (why can't we just hotfix it by disabling all sounds past a certain hearing radius?).

I thought Audiomod didn't work with forge. I might give it a shot to see if it does anything.

Audiomod works. Forge doesn't hook itself into the soundsystem (EqEx uses Audiomod).

Actually, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it might be possible to cut the sounds off beyond, say, 15 block radius? Can we get a Dev in here to double check?

• Thanks Abuelo, not quite sure why they didn't work. I just used insert image and linked it with the flickr url.

It would be awesome if this got patched at least for the moment so we could continue to use sounds.

• Official Post

1. The bug is known. It causes massive FPS load if you close in on the "Maximum hear range" of machines and persists as long as you stay within that zone. Leaving the zone in any direction will remove the FPS-drop, same with relogging.
    2. The issue is something related to Vanilla soundhandling. Like the TE-Duplication bug which only gets apparent if a mod uses this feature extensively.

• some others and me experienced a smiliar issue here (there it were just the nuclear reactors)
    and we fixed it by updating LWJGL to v2.8.3
    Maybe you could try that

• Getting the same problem. My geothermal plant causes a lot of lag, in a certain radius outside of it. We're thinking of moving it far away from the base.

We attribute it to 'air pressure problems related to the heat generated from the geothermal plant, simply equalize ear pressure to get rid of strange feel' which translates to: mute sounds when in radius.

• I wrote the below for a new thread before finding this bug already posted:

At around 20 blocks away from the windmills, they can't be heard, but sound processing can skyrocket. Placing many of them and walking just out of hearing range causes the sound processing (seen via MC debug) to rise fast. Walking back in range of hearing the windmills corrects the issue.

At 8 windmills and moving 20 blocks away, sound processing can go as high as 51% (not high enough to be a performance issue on my computer, but seriously high).
    At 35 windmills and moving 20 blocks away, sound processing can go up to 73% and frames down to 2 fps.
    At 16 geothermal generators and moving 20 blocks away, the same issue occures.

The sound of the windmills also continues to play once logged out of a single player world. Relogging within hearing range of these machines several times keeps adding new engine sounds on top of the original sound.
    Standing next to the wind farm, logging out and then genning a new world causes the same 70%+ problem. Is the sound effect generated by machines not being disposed of correctly?

As I normally run with a lot of mods, I repeated the test with minimum mods:
    CodeChickenCore-Client 0.4.1.zip
    NEI
    industrialcraft-2-client_1.64.jar

• Just FYI, the EXACT SAME BUG occurs with water mills, too. I'm not going to give a long, detailed, post, trust me, it's the same.

P.S.: I LOLed when I read AkiTensai's post, but it was a depressed LOL... my computer literally freezes, as in can't even minimize/close the window, for up to 5 minutes when my water mills kick in. It reads 0 FPS for a VERY VERY long time. Oh, and more depressing LOL, if I leave the debug screen open during this lagfest, my screen turns solid red :S

• Just FYI, the EXACT SAME BUG occurs with water mills, too. I'm not going to give a long, detailed, post, trust me, it's the same.

P.S.: I LOLed when I read AkiTensai's post, but it was a depressed LOL... my computer literally freezes, as in can't even minimize/close the window, for up to 5 minutes when my water mills kick in. It reads 0 FPS for a VERY VERY long time. Oh, and more depressing LOL, if I leave the debug screen open during this lagfest, my screen turns solid red :S

Be glad it's not the Blue Screen of Death.