Suggestion: External Active-Cooling Device for IC² Nuclear Reactors

• Name:
    "Coolant Pump"

Description:
    In order to assist with operation and design of higher-mark nuclear reactors, I propose the creation of a "coolant pump" block that, when placed next to either a nuclear reactor or reactor chamber block, can provide an additional 2 H/t of cooling to the reactor hull, consuming 5 EU/t to do so. Redstone current can be applied to shut down the pump, with operation resuming as soon as the current is removed. The block CANNOT be placed in such a way that it would border more than one reactor chamber or nuclear reactor, as a pump can only support a single reactor (one reactor can have multiple pumps, however).

The advantage of this would be to allow higher-efficiency reactors or breeder reactors to operate, as well as ease the design process by allowing the user to trade electrical output for thermal output, and/or maintain the reactor at a preferable temperature without completely starting or stopping the reaction process, something that is highly beneficial to efficient breeder reactor design.

Another option for the pump is to allow the pump to remove either 1, 2, 3, or 4 H/t at the cost of 2.5EU/t each, rounded up to the nearest integer amount, configured either via GUI switch or by placing redstone dust in 1, 2, 3, or 4 slots.

Recipe:

• Official Post

1. A device using Energy to provide cooling is probably ineffective, as you cannot add 5 EU output within the generator whilst producing less then 2 heat.
    2. The "cannot be placed next to more then one Reactor (Chamber)" rule would prevent you from placing the pump on a 6-chamber reactor, at all :3 Think 3D and you know why.

• The rules for pump placement also give you the option of sacrificing 1 reactor chamber for an additional 4 pump slots - pumps can't be placed next to more than one reactor/reactor chamber, but there's no rule saying they can't be placed next to each other ;)

1. A device using Energy to provide cooling is probably ineffective, as you cannot add 5 EU output within the generator whilst producing less then 2 heat.

I forgot to address this - The pump isn't particularly useful for power-producing reactors except in specific circumstances, but it's more meant to assist with controlling overheats and breeder reactor temperatures, plus whatever the players can dream up.

• The rules for pump placement also give you the option of sacrificing 1 reactor chamber for an additional 4 pump slots - pumps can't be placed next to more than one reactor/reactor chamber, but there's no rule saying they can't be placed next to each other ;)

I forgot to address this - The pump isn't particularly useful for power-producing reactors except in specific circumstances, but it's more meant to assist with controlling overheats and breeder reactor temperatures, plus whatever the players can dream up.

Great for Breeder Reactors, I like this idea. It wouldn't be meant for energy generation.