[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• Why can you make stainless steel with a smelter and a mixer, but not regular steel?

I finally got enough tantalum to melt tungsten and made me a nice smelter and high temp extruder. Now what to do with them... hrm...

• I'm trying to setup an automated Silicon Boule production line right now, but hmm that means I need to somehow split 4 units of Silicon into 3.888 + 0.111 units, and route the former to a Smelter and the latter to a Crystallisation Crucible. It seems to be impossible without a very complicated redstone contraption. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• I'm trying to setup an automated Silicon Boule production line right now, but hmm that means I need to somehow split 4 units of Silicon into 3.888 + 0.111 units, and route the former to a Smelter and the latter to a Crystallisation Crucible. It seems to be impossible without a very complicated redstone contraption. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Tried using the Recipe that takes a whole pile of Dust and takes much longer? Or was that a different Recipe?

• Tried using the Recipe that takes a whole pile of Dust and takes much longer? Or was that a different Recipe?

Ohh there is a 9x recipe which takes 35 units of molten silicon and 1 silicon dust. So if I feed the smelter 35 ingots and the crucible 1 dust, that would be doable with an item filter. Hmm so there at least exists a workaround, even though I don't want to wait 540 minutes (9 hours at the rate of 16 HU/t!) when all I need is just 1 boule :D

• It seems there is NEI bug where Purified Ores (1.25 units) show recipe with output that's the same as smelting the dust (1 unit)

I think, from usability point of view, it's probably better to just show the recipe of what 1 unit of material becomes?

Also, would it be an easy change for GT to not add to NEI the Crucible recipes, that are basically X in X out (e.g. 1/72 of a dust turns into 1/72 of a dust in crucible...), or the 4389209 recipes showing what a block melts down into (since tooltip already shows all contained Materials)?

• Those Recipes are there simply because people wont know about them otherwise. Thats why they exist. Before I added this, people asked me lots of shit about where to get ingots from. Your people o nthe Server probably would too, especially for the things that arent 1:1.

• I actually found out because a player on server was confused when they put in 16 Purified Cobaltite Ore and got 5 ingots, when NEI shows they should have gotten 16 chunks (4 ingots), because the Material amount of Purified Ore was not reflected in NEI recipe.

Unrelated:

Is this Chisel's fault? Gives access to GT Concrete from smelted Gravel, but with blank color and wrong name. This is what NEI shows:

• I actually found out because a player on server was confused when they put in 16 Purified Cobaltite Ore and got 5 ingots, when NEI shows they should have gotten 16 chunks (4 ingots), because the Material amount of Purified Ore was not reflected in NEI recipe.

Ah, I see what's happening there. A rounding error is to blame for the confusion. The Crucible Smelting recipe for Purified Cobalt Ore is being rounded down because an exact itemstack approximation is not available.

For materials that convert to a different material when smelted (such as cobaltite and cassiterite), typically you want to look at the smelting recipes for its dust, not its purified ore, for a more accurate portrayal of its conversion ratio (however, be aware there are exceptions to this rule, such as Aluminium Hydroxide). More on this below.

If you take a look at the Crucible Smelting recipe for Cobaltite Dust, you'll see that it converts to a Cobalt Chunk. To put it another way, for every 1 unit of Cobaltite you smelt in a crucible, you get 1/4 (0.25) units of Cobalt, so the conversion ratio would be (1/4)/1 = 1/4. Purified ores contain 5/4 (1.25) units of material. Knowing this, you can calculate the exact amount of Cobalt you'll get from a Purified Cobaltite Ore by multiplying those two numbers like so: 1.25 cobaltite * 1/4 cobalt/cobaltite = 0.3125 cobalt.

When you look up a smelting recipe that performs a conversion, GregTech does that same calculation and chooses an item stack of the appropriate size and type (ingots, chunks, or nuggets) that approximates the result as closely as possible.

Here's an example of how this might be implemented. We can determine how many ingots, chunks, or nuggets approximate that many units of material (rounding down), then determine how many units would be in the resulting stack of ingots/chunks/nuggets:

Code
    1. Actual amount of cobalt produced: 0.3125 units
    2. floor( 0.3125 units / 1 unit/ingot ) = floor( 0.3125 ingots ) = 0 ingots
    3. 0 ingots * 1 unit/ingot = 0 units
    4. floor( 0.3125 units / (1/4) units/chunk ) = floor( 1.25 chunks ) = 1 chunk
    5. 1 chunk * 1/4 units/chunk = 0.25 units
    6. floor( 0.3125 units / (1/9) units/nugget ) = floor( 2.8125 nuggets ) = 2 nuggets
    7. 2 nuggets * 1/9 units/nugget = 0.222... units

None of these approximations equal the actual amount of cobalt, 0.3125, so instead we'll have to pick the closest match. Out of all of these, the stack of 1 chunk (0.25 units) is the closest. That would explain why you're seeing a stack of 1 chunk in NEI, but getting more than you expect when you go to pour it out.

Greg tends to pick conversion ratios that are multiples of 1, 1/4, or 1/9 (the amount of units in ingots, chunks, and nuggets). When the conversion input size is a multiple of 1 unit, the conversion result is exactly divisible into ingots, chunks, or nuggets depending on which of those ratios are being used.

As an example, remember how we calculated the amount of cobalt produced in the conversion (1.25 * 1/4 = 0.3125)? Since our conversion ratio is the same as the number of units in a chunk (1/4), that means when we go to calculate the number of chunks it's essentially factoring that 1/4 out of the equation, and we're left with the number of units of cobaltite that we put in (1.25). If we had used a dust (1 unit) instead of a purified ore (1.25 unit), we would have lost nothing from rounding down, which means we would have had an item stack that exactly approximated the conversion. That's why you generally want to look up the crucible recipe for a dust instead of a purified ore.

The post was edited 1 time, last by theJ89: A little extra clarification ().

• Wow Chisel does a lot of garbage... Ugh I guess I gonna fix that...

• Someone somewhen complained about some of the Wood Logs from ExtraBiomesXL not being registered to the OreDictionary, could that person give me better Detail on which Wood Logs are missing? I cant seem to find them.

• I checked in my pack and all the EBXL logs are in the oredict, at least for extrabiomesxl_1.7.10-3.16.4.

Found funny interaction though, some of the logs (well just the Sakura log) don't take up a whole block, so when you debark the log with a GT axe it actually gets bigger. :P

Lets keep the Fun there. I wont "fix" that XD