[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website

• You actually can mix copper and tin dust by hand to get bronze dust and smelt that in a regular furnace. It wastes some of the copper and tin, but it works. You can grind the copper and tin into dust with a mortar and pestle ( smooth stone and flint ). It is also handy for making more flint by grinding up gravel, and a stone hammer can turn cobble into gravel.

What I did was since there were plenty of small lead and copper ore deposits, I smelted the lead/copper into nuggets in a conventional oven, formed ingots, then used stone hammers to very inefficiently shape the ingots into plates. From there, I made my first file, which made my first chisel, which I then used to make a my first hardened clay crucible, plate mold, and burning box. Everything gelled from there.

• What I did was since there were plenty of small lead and copper ore deposits, I smelted the lead/copper into nuggets in a conventional oven, formed ingots, then used stone hammers to very inefficiently shape the ingots into plates. From there, I made my first file, which made my first chisel, which I then used to make a my first hardened clay crucible, plate mold, and burning box. Everything gelled from there.

Pretty sure you also have to make a wrench out of one of the basic metals (and I'm not sure if lead works) to build the burning box.

• Pretty sure you also have to make a wrench out of one of the basic metals (and I'm not sure if lead works) to build the burning box.

Lol yes, true :Wrench: copper is what I used, pretty sure

• Hello Everybody,

1) I try to figure out why my sluice is not working. I have titanium burning box and boiler, steel turbine and bronze sluice. The sluice blink as if underpowered but it should have more than enough RU/t. (water and items are connected. 96HU=>192 steam=>64RU (even with loss i should have the needed 32RU/t)).
    I tryed to disconnect steam pipes to get high pressure on boiler and reconnect it, sluice blinked the same.
    For test about overpowered i used same setup in creative mode on local world with tier 2 sluice with same result. What did i miss?

2) what is the best way to make aluminium. I dont find sodium ore nor potassium ore (and i can't transform salt to sodium as no aluminium means no eletrolyzer héhé). What are the layers for this ores?

Thanks for your help 8)

• So with the new rules on titanium, there's a big new call for sodium.

And sodium can be made from salt pretty easily.

And salt is technically a renewable resource, which considering that sea water is usually freely available makes a lot of sense.

But the cost there is maybe a bit off. It takes, IIRC, 256 HU to get a 0.01% chance at a tiny pile of salt by drying water. Which means it takes an expected 2560,000 HU per tiny pile of salt. That's an entire stack of charcoal burned at 100% efficiency if I'm doing my math right. To produce a tiny pile of salt.

I realize salt is fairly plentiful as a mineral, but that cost seems a bit excessive. It's probably premised on the salt content of clean fresh water rather than salt water, of course...but it's the only mechanized path to produce salt.

• Hello Everybody,

1) I try to figure out why my sluice is not working. I have titanium burning box and boiler, steel turbine and bronze sluice. The sluice blink as if underpowered but it should have more than enough RU/t. (water and items are connected. 96HU=>192 steam=>64RU (even with loss i should have the needed 32RU/t)).
    I tryed to disconnect steam pipes to get high pressure on boiler and reconnect it, sluice blinked the same.
    For test about overpowered i used same setup in creative mode on local world with tier 2 sluice with same result. What did i miss?

Your overpower test is a bit worrying - thanks to overclocking, sluicing on a tier 2 sluice would require 64 RU/t, so if it dips under sometimes you'd be in trouble.

What happens if you use an invar turbine? That has a maximum output of 64 RU, so you never have to worry about it exceeding the limits on a bronze-tier machine.

...Oh, did you check the numbers on the titanium box and boiler? IIRC they don't line up - a titanium boiler matches a chromium burning box and vice versa. That could be throwing you off.

EDIT: While I'm by no means certain, I suspect the last is your problem, resulting in unsteady steam rate and power output fluctuating around 64 RU/t, which can cause both the bronze and steel sluice to fail. I tried mismatching heat source and boiler once, it didn't go well.

2) what is the best way to make aluminium. I dont find sodium ore nor potassium ore (and i can't transform salt to sodium as no aluminium means no eletrolyzer héhé). What are the layers for this ores?

You can get aluminium from the sluice, once you get that working. That's the way to get your start.

I don't think either potassium or sodium occurs as ore blocks normally, but you can get a little bit by sluicing certain ores. I've forgotten which ores, but you should be able to find that in NEI.

• Is anyone of you doing mass scale nitric acid production?

i cant figure out how too get dynamite, the Sulfuric acid and glycerol is child play, but that nitric acid
    the only recipe i found required saltpeter (or aqua regia, so kinda pointless or Niter ore, which doesnt exist in the config), which only exists as small ore. one small ore is giving me 3-4 units
    i did the math, 5 dusts can make you about 6 1/2 sticks of dynamite.
    OR, converted to Aqua regia, refine 2 Purified Ores
    Plating group Ore processing can require huge ammounts of Nitric acid, but compared to Sulfuric acid its a pain in the ass to come by

actually, it could make for a interesting processing chain to make saltpeter out of stuff in the fermenter, and refine it (like they did for hundrets of years)

• I'm not at present, but I think the answer you need lies in the Nether. You can get saltpeter in usable quantities by breaking down (lots of) Soul Sand. I think there are also nitrate veins of some sort there, but I'm not sure on that. EDIT: On a review of the worldgen file, it looks like no such veins. So, soul sand.

Personally, I'm not planning to use any nitrates on dynamite rather than nitric acid for ore processing, at present, because the source is still a bit limited.

EDIT: Note that you can recover all of the nitrogen used for ore processing. Nitrogen monoxide can be recycled back into nitric acid.

• No, you can't. It's not in NEI, I tried it anyway, it doesn't work. This is completely out of date information.

It worked just a few weeks ago ( just before barrels were added ) and I seem to remember Greg saying this was intentional with bronze, and only bronze, and had a significant loss in the process for balance. I don't see anything about removing it in the changelog either.

I've been thinking the same thing... I've dried a LOT of water and only have a few tiny piles of salt. I did finally find a salt ore vein though.

Now the other night I set up a dust funnel and I swear it had no trouble catching the dusts as they fell through a block of air from the side of a shredder, but tonight I tried the same thing to catch sluice sand from the drier and it refuses to suck up the slice sand as it falls onto it. Isn't it supposed to do that?

• It worked just a few weeks ago ( just before barrels were added ) and I seem to remember Greg saying this was intentional with bronze, and only bronze, and had a significant loss in the process for balance. I don't see anything about removing it in the changelog either.

The recipe is absent in 4.01, at any rate. Or rather, you can mix them by hand, but you need a mixer (or mixing bowl) to do it in.

• Thanks,
    I tryed with an invar turbine, the sluice blink faster but doesn't process the ore :(
    Even if i loss a little power with heater i should have more than enough power to feed my sluice ... so i'm confused here :(
    Yes i can get some sodium or potassium from other ores but they look like rare, i never found one on my server so i study other ways ;)

• Thanks,
    I tryed with an invar turbine, the sluice blink faster but doesn't process the ore :(
    Even if i loss a little power with heater i should have more than enough power to feed my sluice ... so i'm confused here :(

Again, enough power isn't the only problem. You can also have too much power and that will stop things just as well. Too much or too little RU will stop the machine, too much or too little steam will stop the turbine.

Unless you've got a really big pipe system problem, using a less powerful steam boiler/burner setup should run your machine just fine. Mine runs on a single bronze boiler. (My other bronze machines use a pair of invar ones.)

• Again, enough power isn't the only problem. You can also have too much power and that will stop things just as well. Too much or too little RU will stop the machine, too much or too little steam will stop the turbine.

Unless you've got a really big pipe system problem, using a less powerful steam boiler/burner setup should run your machine just fine. Mine runs on a single bronze boiler. (My other bronze machines use a pair of invar ones.)

Thanks, it works with small bronze boiler but it's not logik as i supply only half of the needed steam to produce the requested 32 KU/t...

• Thanks, it works with small bronze boiler but it's not logik as i supply only half of the needed steam to produce the requested 32 KU/t...

...Sluicing doesn't use KU and doesn't require 32 RU/t. It requires 16 RU/t. Which is what you can get from that boiler.

The power requirement for a recipe depends on the recipe. Most of the time, that isn't the midpoint value for the machine tier. A lot of recipes are 16 GU/t (for whatever form of power they use).

• I swear I had it set up just like this the last time I ran the stupid thing, but my magnetic separator keeps grinding today. I have a dense invar and a bronze boiler providing 176 steam/t to the steel turbine, which should provide 58.6 ru/t to the dynamo, which should generate 44 eu/t to power the electromagnet, which should make 22 MU/t, which should be plenty to run the bloody magnetic separator, yet it keeps grinding.