[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• So pondering progression - I notice that batboxes require electronics, but a number of basic electrical devices don't. Can some LV stuff get up and running without chip fabrication?

• I tried to store Steam in a Drum to have some kind of storage buffer between my soon-to-be array of boilers and my main pipieline, but even though I could pump the steam out with a cover it was not even powering a bronze steam engine.
    I even used the highest tier of pump cover but was unsuccessful too.
    So should I make the steam "hot" again in a boiler or maybe pressurize it somehow to send in back in the pipes ?
    Is it even possible ?

I liked the idea of making a lot of steam, storing it, and use it when needed, though...I was even considering building a RC Iron Tank for that purpose :D

• I tried to store Steam in a Drum to have some kind of storage buffer between my soon-to-be array of boilers and my main pipieline, but even though I could pump the steam out with a cover it was not even powering a bronze steam engine.
    I even used the highest tier of pump cover but was unsuccessful too.
    So should I make the steam "hot" again in a boiler or maybe pressurize it somehow to send in back in the pipes ?
    Is it even possible ?

I liked the idea of making a lot of steam, storing it, and use it when needed, though...I was even considering building a RC Iron Tank for that purpose :D

You need to insert EXACT amounts of Steam, NOT TOO MUCH, and NOT TOO LESS, there is EVEN A TOOLTIP FOR THAT. That is the challenge of Steam Engines. Now guess what you did wrong.

Ehi Greg, I assume that fluid tanks are in your to-do list, correct? (I'm not asking when you'll make them, I'm just asking IF you'll make them)

Yeah they are on the List. Just never got around making them.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• You need to insert EXACT amounts of Steam, NOT TOO MUCH, and NOT TOO LESS, there is EVEN A TOOLTIP FOR THAT. That is the challenge of Steam Engines. Now guess what you did wrong.

Just knowing that it is possible is good enough for me. That's very good news indeed !

Since steam turbines take a variable amount of steam maybe it might be easier to power them correctly (plus I can easily verify if they are rotating).
    I'll try to work around that before engines.

Thank you for that

• Well there's surely something I don't understand because a pipe network with a working Steam Turbine results, when I substitute the BB/Boiler combo with a Steam drum/PULV Pump Cover, in a non working Steam Turbine.
    And I do use a pump cover to feed my boiler with Distilled water so I think I did my pump cover setup right.

I can transfer, at a very great rate, Steam from one drum to another, for instance, so the "Take steam out of the drum and put it in the network" works.
    But no matter what pipe/turbine combination I use, I end up with a non-moving turbine. Even if I tried some random combination that usually end up in an overloading turbine (like bronze pipe in a bronze turbine, for example).

I'm going to catch up on bear's videos, maybe I'll finally understand what I did wrong.

• stored steam should turn to water

That what I thought too, before I saw the Steam Drum. That got my gears turning, trying to use it became a bit of an obsession.
    But I understand the steam/water thing...I mean, that's why electricity storage in batteries is so important...And we can think of Ethanol production as a mean to store "energy", as well

you need the right rate of steam to run a engine/turbine. does a ULV pump move the right amount of steam per/t?

I even tried the most powerful of them, to no avail :3
    That's why I thought that maybe this steam has to be heaten up like the Boiler-made one

But that's ok, I'll try to automate my steam usage, instead of my steam storage :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Flaoua ().

• Is the input range is for steam engines available information? Unlike turbines the tooltip doesn't say. I know I can run a steel steam engine (~64 steam/t) on the output of two bronze boilers with bronze burning boxes (96 steam/t if not calcified) without problems, which is a full 50% over spec.

Is the input range is for steam engines available information?
    Unlike turbines the tooltip doesn't say. I know I can run a steel steam
    engine (~64 steam/t) on the output of two bronze boilers with bronze
    burning boxes (96 steam/t if not calcified) without problems, which is a
    full 50% over spec.

Dude :D it's right on this page :

You need to insert EXACT amounts of Steam, NOT TOO MUCH, and NOT TOO LESS, there is EVEN A TOOLTIP FOR THAT. That is the challenge of Steam Engines. Now guess what you did wrong.

What pipe did you connect your engine with ?
    Pipes have specific bandwidths to limit throughput that depends on size and material

• Dude :D it's right on this page :

What pipe did you connect your engine with ?
    Pipes have specific bandwidths to limit throughput that depends on size and material

But, as my example obviously shows, they don't require exact amounts of steam. No, it's not restrictive pipes. I don't see how it could be considering there are no pipes with exactly 64L/t capacity, but I'm using small bronze capable of 150L/t.

The tooltip says "~64 L/t". As that ~ implies, there's apparently some space between too much and too little. I don't know how much, though.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ulzgoroth: Correcting pipe flow rate. ().

• No, it's not restrictive pipes. I don't see how it could be considering there are no pipes with exactly 64L/t capacity, but I'm using small bronze capable of 150L/t.

So they do restrict bandwidth, but up to 150L/tick, which as you said is higher that 64.
    I think it's due to the ON and OFF phase of the engine, but I'll gladly let more knowledged people answer that part, and will update the wiki accordingly.

Speaking of which I updated the wiki to substitute the Steam Engine + Automatic Hammer tutorial with a Steam Turbine + Rolling Mill tutorial.
    As bear stated, the Automatic Hammer is not that useful, while I think that the Rolling Mill is more long-term oriented (especially if, like me, you like big beautiful stacks of ingots).

It also have the benefit of introducing RU energy, while the Hazmat tutorial introduce KU through the Steam Engine/Squeezer.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Flaoua ().

• I went straight to steam turbine , jumping over steam engines for this time, because turbine does say possible range of inputted steam.

One of our players used to have engine with ~48steam/t usage, connected pipe with 50L/t bandwidth and reported that engine still overheats. Maybe he was just stupid, I did not seen the setup, but well, maybe he needed 48L/t pipe, which does not exist.... engines don't have something like "~48L/t, not less than 45, not more than 50". If engines do use same ranges, as everything else, it sometimes doesn't look like that. (Still could been stupid and use too big engine for the machine, I don't know..)

Turbines are WAY user friendlier in this case.

• Greg, bug with minetweaker (oredict commands): In both GT6 & GT5

The bug is that MT, when reloading a script, either due to using the "mt reload" command or when exiting a singleplayer world, then reentering without quiting MC first,
    Minetweaker completely reverses it's previous effects, then performs it's (possibly edited) effects.
    Normally this does nothing, but with GT and scripts that completely change oredict lists, then there is a period there when GT gets errors due to mysteriously empty oredicts.
    These errors usually result in oredict recipes disappearing, or reentering the world failing (but no crash).

• 1/72 ? Why not only 1/36 ? Will they have stack size of 72?(meh....I know they won't and they will be annoying for that xD )
    One even cannot craft 9 of them to get some already existing pile, 9/72 =1/8 ...will you be adding more of those fractions? Or those will be crafted into bigger only in machines, and due to max stack size only to two small piles at once maximally?
    I see that it would be nice for mixing and so, but well, 1/36 looks better for manipulation.

• The Dust Funnel can still handle those Piles. Also 1/8 - 1/9 = 1/72, that's why.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• I went straight to steam turbine , jumping over steam engines for this time, because turbine does say possible range of inputted steam.

One of our players used to have engine with ~48steam/t usage, connected pipe with 50L/t bandwidth and reported that engine still overheats. Maybe he was just stupid, I did not seen the setup, but well, maybe he needed 48L/t pipe, which does not exist.... engines don't have something like "~48L/t, not less than 45, not more than 50". If engines do use same ranges, as everything else, it sometimes doesn't look like that. (Still could been stupid and use too big engine for the machine, I don't know..)

Turbines are WAY user friendlier in this case.

...Are you sure it's too much steam for the engine, rather than too little engine for the load?

48 L/t steam will only be producing 12 KU/t, and most processes require at least 16 KU/t.

• 16 KU/t recipes work with 1 steel burning box, 1 steel(?) boiler and either steel or bronze engine. Weaker than bronze engine gets stuck and eventually boiler explodes. Bronze engine has bigger frequency than steel, so it's generally more efficient for squeezer recipes.

Aluminum from bauxite trick (most likely discovered by SpwnX) (my current setup):
    Thaumium crucible with any hopper on top (at least 3 slots). Below crucible is invar burning box. Environment temperature: 286K (some desert oasis, maybe plains). There is a plates mold attached to crucible and connected by monkey wrench; there is a hopper below mold. There is also a thermometer on crucible.
    When temperature is 286K, I put these things into hopper and in this order: 16 bauxite dust, 2 snow blocks, 2 copper dusts. Then I put 23 units of lignite into burning box and light up. When temperature reaches 2800K: 16 bauxite becomes 8 aluminum, first snow block evaporates (and possibly kills nearby living entities; I value my life too much to test this) and only after that test for temperature is performed (result: aluminum does not evaporate). Next snow block and copper dusts are just additional mass for reducing crucible's temperature. Most common result: 8 aluminum plates and 2 copper plates in a hopper below plates mold. Only once I found 4 aluminum plates there (possibly because I removed 4 and forgot that).

• GregoriusT, answer me! GregTech 1.6.2 4.08s not worked a Superconductor wire. I hook it to(example) mfsu and induction furnaces, but the connection does not occur, but rather the energy goes through the wire. PLEASE FIX!!!