[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• So Bauxite dust melts at 2800K to make Aluminium but Aluminium has a boiling point of 2792K.

Tried it just to be sure and yeah Bauxite melted in Aluminium, which immediately evaporated to nothingness :3

Intended as an incentive to get Aluminium from Electrolyzer/Centrifuge ?

So Bauxite dust melts at 2800K to make Aluminium but Aluminium has a boiling point of 2792K.

Tried it just to be sure and yeah Bauxite melted in Aluminium, which immediately evaporated to nothingness :3

Intended as an incentive to get Aluminium from Electrolyzer/Centrifuge ?

Definitely intended, although there are tricks to it. Whether these tricks are fair game or exploits is up
    to you.

Of course, there is also the combination recipe with either sodium or potassium (although finding enough of
    those to make that route viable will depend on the ores you've found).

Remember that until about the 1870s - early 1880s, aluminium was more expensive than gold. Cheap, mass
    production of aluminium is very much a product of the electrical age.

----

Edit: Anyone know what the Red Pill does? Now that I have several metric tons of paraffin wax I decided to make
    a few pill capsules.

• It heals some status effect. Dont remember which one it was and am too lazy to look it up.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Had an odd experience, I think bug, a couple of times now. (re logs: there was no crash as such and I stupidly restarted a couple of times trying to
    diagnose what was happening so the logs don't actually correspond to the play session in which the bug/event happened.)

I've come back from mining on 2 occasions and found tanks unexpectedly empty. The first time affected an Extra Utilities drum full of diesel, and
    I wrote it off, assuming I had made a mistake about how much was left and that the last dregs had drained into the attached pipe while I wasn't
    looking.

The second time I came back to find the same diesel drum empty again (having previously replaced it with a full one and not using it since),
    the propane drum attached on the line beneath my distillation towers empty (even though it's a perfect mirror of the butane line that feeds
    the other half of my burners, which still had 60,000L in it), and worst of all the Rail Craft tank that I was storing my BC fuel in (which should
    have had over 4 million litres in it).

The pipes on the output side of these containers were also empty, which wouldn't have happened if only the tanks had failed to save their contents
    (these pipes would normally have been full to capacity). All of the pipes were attached by a GT pump and eventually ended with either a liquid or
    gas burning box.

My only guesses are:

* there was a problem saving the chunk - the contents of tanks, drums, pipes and burning boxes ALL failed to save. (although somehow the butane
    drum, pipeline and burning boxes escaped, as did the diesel, kerosene and petrol tanks.)
    * the pump somehow caused the contents of the attached pipe to overflow and go negative. The contents of the tank and other connected pipes
    would then drain into this one and disappear into the huge space between the most negative value and zero.
    * something happened at a chunk boundary - fuel was deducted from one pipe, but there was no second pipe to credit it to
    (I doubt this, from what I remember a pipe actually checks for an attached container to output into)
    * the burning boxes remained in a fuel consuming state when not lit. (In this scenario I would expect even consumption of propane/butane)

Of course, it might not even be GT related, but the empty pipes on the output side are what made me suspicious.

• * there was a problem saving the chunk - the contents of tanks, drums, pipes and burning boxes ALL failed to save. (although somehow the butane
    drum, pipeline and burning boxes escaped, as did the diesel, kerosene and petrol tanks.)

That could be the Issue, however in that case not just taht would fail, all Burning Boxes would turn into a colorless and materialless variant as their IDs are saved in NBT aswell.

* the pump somehow caused the contents of the attached pipe to overflow and go negative. The contents of the tank and other connected pipes
    would then drain into this one and disappear into the huge space between the most negative value and zero.

Nope that can only happen if the tank and the pipe are both close to Integer.Maxvalue. And that would require over 2147000000L.

* something happened at a chunk boundary - fuel was deducted from one pipe, but there was no second pipe to credit it to
    (I doubt this, from what I remember a pipe actually checks for an attached container to output into)

I am kinda worried that it is a Pipe that somehow sent its content to an unloaded Ghost Pipe, even though I entirely fixed that Issue in GT5. At least for all GT Blocks, that is.

* the burning boxes remained in a fuel consuming state when not lit. (In this scenario I would expect even consumption of propane/butane)

Nah, they have to be lit for that. And as you said it didn't consume the other two.

Of course, it might not even be GT related, but the empty pipes on the output side are what made me suspicious.

Was it only RC Tanks and ExU drums? The Pipes can be empty because of draining into those two Tanks. But it would wonder me why it happens to both Types of Tanks...

Try to replicate the Issue somehow please, I have to know whats going on, or if its replicatable

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

Try to replicate the Issue somehow please, I have to know whats going on, or if its replicatable

I'll use NEI to spawn in some new drums, refill the empty tanks, and inspect the tanks more regularly, but
    as there wasn't a noticeable trigger as such, I think it is mostly a case of waiting.

Was it only RC Tanks and ExU drums? The Pipes can be empty because of draining into those two Tanks. But it would wonder me why it happens to both Types of Tanks...

Would a GT pipe drain past a GT pump directed the other way?

• I'll use NEI to spawn in some new drums, refill the empty tanks, and inspect the tanks more regularly, but
    as there wasn't a noticeable trigger as such, I think it is mostly a case of waiting.

I hate those Bugs too...

Would a GT pipe drain past a GT pump directed the other way?

No, that wouldn't happen. The Pumps make the Pipe One-Way

The only other case I might think could happen is if ALL Fluids of a certain Type (or multiple types) everywhere somehow failed to save. But that can only happen if Fluids go missing on actual Reboot.

GregTech Website

The only other case I might think could happen is if ALL Fluids of a certain Type (or multiple types) everywhere somehow failed to save. But that can only happen if Fluids go missing on actual Reboot.

Except, at the same time the diesel in the drum disappeared, the diesel in the RC tank survived...

Out of interest, why do you subtract tTank.fluid.amount here?

Code
    1. int tDrained2 = ((IFluidHandler)tTank.mTileEntity).fill(tTank.getForgeSideOfTileEntity(), this.mTank.drain(UT.Code.bindInt((long)(tAmount - (long)((MultiTileEntityPipeFluid)tTank.mTileEntity).mTank.getFluidAmount())), false), true);

Can (tAmount - tTank.fluid.amount) go negative here? Looking at Forge, there doesn't seem to be any guard against a negative value for "maxDrain" in either FluidTank.drain(int maxDrain, boolean doDrain)
    or "amount" in FluidStack.FluidStack(Fluid fluid, int amount).

That could lead tTank.fill() returning a value higher than its own capacity right? (Edit: ignore that. It won't.)

• That does not look like my current Code, where did you grab that?

GregTech Website

• Well at least it makes sure that all the static final variables that I use get compiled into the actual true and false. Also next time, if you want to look up Core GT Source maybe look up the Source directly instead of decompiling Stuff. The Pump Code was Part of the Core GT Stuff.

GregTech Website

Well at least it makes sure that all the static final variables that I use get compiled into the actual true and false. Also next time, if you want to look up Core GT Source maybe look up the Source directly instead of decompiling Stuff. The Pump Code was Part of the Core GT Stuff.

Well now I feel silly.

• So I'm looking at building a sluice but it sounds like it isn't possible to operate it without another mod that adds tanks, is that true? Or can the pump cover take water source blocks from the world? Or can you manually insert water into the sluice?

• Since you can't process bauxite directly in a crucible, I was looking at other ways and noticed that you can process it with sodium dust if you don't have an electrolyzer. You can make that with a centrifuge from sodium bisulfate, which you can make from sulfuric acid and salt. The salt can be dried from water, and the sulfuric acid looks like it can be produced from water and heat with some sulfur as a catalyst ( returned from centrifiguing the bisulfate ), and a platinum catalyst to make the sulfuric acid. One problem though: centrifuging the bisulfate requires 112 GU/t for 89 seconds ;(

• I think the electrolyser is still the best route towards sodium. The advantage over electrolysing the bauxite itself is that sodium
    (from clay dust salt at least) has a much, much lower EU/t requirement. As you have the platinum to use as a catalyst, you also
    have the platinum for an electrolyser. If you are looking at centrifuging without electricity, then you already have a burning box,
    boiler, and turbine (or plan to build one). Note that you CAN work pure aluminium in the crucible. If you can scrape together a
    few nuggets and dusts of pure aluminium by cauldron washing ores, centrifuging certain impure/purified ore dusts (almandine,
    glauconite and others), then you need about 28 (-ish, depending how you go about crafting the gears and screws) aluminium
    to build both a dynamo and an electrolyser. That requires about 2 stacks of aluminium bearing ore - not beyond the realms of
    possibility. Once you have the electrolyser, you can produce the sodium you need to get aluminium more easily. Also note that
    you may get a handful of pure sodium along the way by washing/centrifuging these ores - be sure to use these to speed up your
    acquisition of those first 28 aluminium.

On the tanks, GT requires so much of every material, and most materials require KU, RU or EU to process, all of which eventually
    come back to steam, which requires water. Ideally, large quantities of distilled water. Even if you can theoretically manage without
    tanks or pumps, it will take you much, much longer to make progress.

---

Hi Greg. I recently finished paving a 36 chunk area (that's over 9,000 blocks!) with asphalt... That would be remarkable
    enough an output from the distillation tower, but once I was finished I had more asphalt than when I started....
    Is there a chance that the tower might be a little generous with it's solids output?
    I have over 150 stacks of *blocks* of plastic/paraffin/asphalt dusts...

Also, re the above concerning pumps and tanks... You already allow your pipes to fill a cauldron - could you let them drain one?
    That would allow a pure GT way to fill a pipe network with water, at least as a stop-gap until you finish the new multi-block tanks.
    That way people can buffer water in Large/Huge Pipes.

Perhaps something like this on the pump?

• So I'm looking at building a sluice but it sounds like it isn't possible to operate it without another mod that adds tanks, is that true? Or can the pump cover take water source blocks from the world? Or can you manually insert water into the sluice?

You need water from somewhere, and that is what prompted me to install railcraft, but it's not actually impossible to use the machine without a water tank (or, again, canning machine). My original setup for running a sluice was feeding it with distilled water byproduct from my steam engines and turbines.

Of course, generating enough of that for the job was a major problem.

Since you can't process bauxite directly in a crucible, I was looking at other ways and noticed that you can process it with sodium dust if you don't have an electrolyzer. You can make that with a centrifuge from sodium bisulfate, which you can make from sulfuric acid and salt. The salt can be dried from water, and the sulfuric acid looks like it can be produced from water and heat with some sulfur as a catalyst ( returned from centrifiguing the bisulfate ), and a platinum catalyst to make the sulfuric acid. One problem though: centrifuging the bisulfate requires 112 GU/t for 89 seconds ;(

So, I'd suggest that you can get both sodium and metallic aluminium by a rather easier path: both can be sluiced out of the correct ores. That's where I've gotten all the aluminium I've needed so far. (Bear in mind that you never need to turn ores into dusts for crucible processing...)

Couldn't you meet that centrifugation requirement fairly simply with a steel centrifuge and turbine? Not exactly cheap, but simple and doesn't require any elusive materials.

I'm pretty sure you need Oxygen to make sulfuric acid though, and that's a bit tricky to produce. The 'easy' way is electrolysis of water, but that requires an LV electrolysis setup and produces hydrogen as well. I'm not certain, having never set it up, but I think you'd need a (galvanized steel-based) filter to separate the two so you've got a clean oxygen feed into the roaster... There are a few relatively easy ways to produce pure oxygen from certain ores, if you dig around the recipes. And making sulfuric acid actually nets you some bonus oxygen, since the dioxide to trixide step pulls in the extra oxygen from the atmosphere, so if you've got a way to decompose it back down you may be able to build up oxygen supplies from a finite initial source...

• Welp, I think I'll first turn several bronze machines into their steel counterpart and level up the whole production line before I go the Electric Age.

And I'll build a whole damn throne for my Electrolyzer :3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Flaoua ().

• Oh, another fairly significant challenge with the sluice...you need to do something with the stuff that comes out of it, and there isn't a simple way to void liquids automatically.

For a while, I was keeping a few large wood pipes plugged into it and repeatedly breaking and replacing them to free up volume. Now that I've got tanks, I've got over a thousand buckets of sluice juice stored and have dried quite a lot of it down already...