[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• greg, did you ever think about a redstone FPGA block? like, program it in a hardware description language and control redstone stuff? I would really limit it to make it not OP and probably expensive... Or it could eat the logic gates it simulates inside of it...

I'm surprised this needs saying but doing that is a mod in of itself. Not just any mod, but the biggest mod in any game ever. You realize you'd have to make an hdl environment from scratch right? I can't even think of a way to express how much work that would be. That's xilinx ise (a 20 gig download) without the IP libraries and less real world constraints. The compiler would also be insane.

Just use computer mods for things too complicated to practically accomplish with a few gates (MSI and up).

• I'm surprised this needs saying but doing that is a mod in of itself. Not just any mod, but the biggest mod in any game ever. You realize you'd have to make an hdl environment from scratch right? I can't even think of a way to express how much work that would be. That's xilinx ise (a 20 gig download) without the IP libraries and less real world constraints. The compiler would also be insane.

Just use computer mods for things too complicated to practically accomplish with a few gates (MSI and up).

i think the most space wasted in HDL environments is mostly the architecture of the fpga/cpld for the routing. Interpreting vhdl itself shouldnt be that hard given a human can easily read it^^ Minecraft wouldnt have to rout logic, it would just have to interpret it... idk :P

edit: i think for reference we should rather look at hdl simulators...

• Pwnie2012
    OpenComputers added Microcontroller block for that exact reason, it can only hold tiny program and execute on it, but it is cheap and it is place and forget type.
    Though I don't find it that fantastic for my own personal use as I think it is a little bit over-limited. But it is great for any redstone stuff.
    Obviously it isn't FPGA, but the way OpenComputers function it perhaps more efficient then doing even semi realistic FPGA in minecraft.

leagris
    So what's stopping you from have energy economy still?
    There are plenty of mediums you can use as energy container.
    I personally use hydrogen and methane for my power supply.

I see your reasoning now, your biggest problem that GregTech doesn't allow for nice artistic portrail of your ideas. And I see where the problems comes.
    That's due to minecraft unfortunate design. And how dimension stuff gets treated.
    You obviously want to have two clear separations of place you build and place you mine. While that's not an issue for me, I understand concern.
    I would blame a lack of ability to transport through portals them self. While item tesseracts were great, but not being able to transfer items through portals reliably always baffled me.
    If some sort of fixed point tesseract(like nether portals for player) would be able to transfer items, without having them to do explict teleporting to custom place, but rather coordinate predetirmined(like nether portals function) that would be nice thing.
    Or just be able to pipe through portals for example.
    And that’s not something you can relate to GT though, it never tried to encourage a two world play in new version, and item teleportations through dimensions could be abused for unfun item transport.(By unfun I meant rather cheap)

Also more artistic building would work if pipes would work across unloaded chunks. I really hate that minecraft chunk loading thing, where's if noone there to see it happen, it never does. But that's minecraft core fault, not mods.

A note about tin.
    Yes I agree GT5 had really-really bad tin problem, I do find tin to be least fair mineral of all. It is stupidly scares compare to what it really suppose to be in terms of gameplay.

And I do agree on renewable fuels being less available, but there are other new alternatives though not as much, they actually more viable compare to how easy it was before.

Also fertilizer if found is available in huge quantities, and it isn't like dirt is scares. I get it all the time by stacks, then I process it in stuff I need.
    Though bio fuel section was rather under developed this time around in GT5.
    Fuel balance were a little to harsh this time around compare to previous version GT4, where fuel was easily plentiful.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Dr.Terr ().

• So just wires, basic gates and latches? No compile, it's implemented the way it's written? The end user would have to basically already know how to use HDLs and they'd be fucked if they made any mistakes (the only way to test is to use it). You'd need a development block to write script, check semantics, and store the desigto for printing.

Still that's a mod on its own. I'd look into making it if I had more time.

• I started to encounter bit wierd problem, and so far I am unable to solve it. Cant use Iron Doors in any GT machines. For example if I want to craft Shutter Module it wont let me with Iron Door + 2 Iron Plates in assembler.

If I search for the recipe it will return me missing texture iron door with wierd name:

Any ideas what can cause that? I tried to recreate all the GT configs, I am using Minetweaker, so I also disabled all the scripts. But to no avail.
    (using GT5.07.07)

• After bit of removing and readding mods from my modpack I have finally found out what is the problem. I have malisis doors mod and in theirs config there is an option to modify Vanilla doors animation, I wasnt aware that it will overwrite the Vanilla Doors that much.

I reported it to Malisis Doors devs, but for now if someone is encountering the same issue go to malisisdoors.cfg and set config.modifyVanillaDoors to false

• That Quote is from "Monday, February 9th 2015, 11:17am". It is still Sunday for me. And it is almost done now (as in it compiles and runs). :D

Without that ETA I would have been lazily sitting around doing nothing.

Good point ;).

• I should say, my goal is putting naquadah in the world, so alternatives to asteroids for that are welcome.

When you also use Galactricraft, you can use GalacticGreg for that.
    Else you can set Naquadah to spawn like all the other ores in the worldgen config. This explains the gregtech Worldgen config.

I'm surprised this needs saying but doing that is a mod in of itself. Not just any mod, but the biggest mod in any game ever. You realize you'd have to make an hdl environment from scratch right? I can't even think of a way to express how much work that would be. That's xilinx ise (a 20 gig download) without the IP libraries and less real world constraints. The compiler would also be insane.

That sounds like the way Greg planes to do that.

• And those plans were the reason to kill of the Redstone Circuit Block...

-----
    The Worldgen Config will change slightly, to be a slight bit more readable, as in you can now enter the Material Names directly (as long as those Materials are valid).

-----

#ThingsThatPreventAReleaseRightNow: Why the fuck are my Crates rendering Green Icons for Flourine when in Inventory and Yellow Icons when in World!?!

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• @punchcards
    Not quite. Those look like a programming language that performs tasks sequentially like Any Other Language. HDLs describe gates, latches, and wires. All lines are "executed" at the same time because all that's happening is that things are getting hooked up. This brings about a huge swath of timing hazards and a very long list of issues that could keep a circuit from being realized. For example let's say you want one output to reach 40 inputs at the same time. To do this you'd need a repeater and a delay. Your environment needs to be aware of all of these things. You could say screw all that and just make a simple interpreter but 99 times out of 100 your script wouldn't work. You'd have to really know what you were doing.

ed. nvm you were saying that punch cards are like computers.
    It's a neat concept anyway. Low level language that's close to the hardware but with the same typical CS niceties. The tight timing control is the real plus.

• I'm fine with that, it's that I heard about GT6 making earlygame really hard like TFC.

• How about looking into the many other GregTech Configs? There is a whole Directory full of them. Also none of them is named "DynamicConfig", they all have more fitting Names.

That is Odd because i am staring at DynamicConfig.cfg right now in GregTech config folder along with 9 other configs. Although i did find what i was looking for in another config file, DynamicConfig and Other config file generate as empty files currently, but this is on GT5 afaik (gregtech_1.7.10-5.07.07).

Thank you for the tip :)

• Hey look what I found! Not it is not really a Desert, but it is a Bug, in a Mesa. XD