[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• Well, a mod adds features, so theoretically, it should be possible to translate these features into another language, even if it is probably complicated like hell due to exceptions because programming languages work differently, so it would probably be a piece of code rewriting the mods with the same features for a different language and engine, before the game actually starts. And as that would take a while, it would probably save the results and use them the next time.

EDIT: Or it adds its own language and figures out how to convert it to the other languages.

They made it for java, that will not work with C++ for example, They made it in a stupidity of retardation class'splosion style, which will not work well with better designs. They are not using an intermediary language like Terra for code generation, or even lua for slow interpretation. The very design would fail even between MC versions due to client architecture changes in style. Their design is inherently flawed on a *multitude* of levels, what they want to do is possible sure, but not the way they have done it, not even for just MC for anything more than simple things like their example.

Side-partially-related note: GT's API tries to remove the mc-stupidity of class'splosion by making single monolithic reusable classes, it feels like it is trying to become component based but instead of doing it dynamically, which is far more powerful and very fast in both coding and execution time if done right, it instead is trying to 'bake' all components in to one massive main 'entity'. You really should finish your partial component design and go all the way. ;-)

P.S.: Still on phone, please excuse spelling, grammar, and terseness. ^.^

• When I craft some pyrotheum dust from Thermal Expansion, I get the Gregtech version of it. The problem with that is that I can't use the GT pyrotheum dust in TE recipes, probably because it's not oredictionaried... I asked in #ThermalExpansion on espernet and they said it is definitely oredictionaried on their side, so I assume you forgot to add your Pyrotheum dust to the oredictionary?

Also, why are you automatically converting all ingots & resources to their GT version? I don't have any problem with that, just interested.

And one last question, could you maybe add a automatable way to convert items to their GT counterpart? I would like this so I can convert all my items in my AE storage system to GT versions.

Thanks in advance,
    Flaghacker

• @above

Any gt inventory changes it to the gregtech version, so if you just run it through a gt inventory then import it again, it will change. Your inventory does it as well, but import and export bus on some gt inventory is more automatable.

As for the ordict, I am pretty sure that all items Greg adds are ordicted, so if TE's dust is ordict, the recipies might not be ordicted, so while their dust works in other's recipies that use the ordict, only their dust works in their recipies.

On phone, so excuse spelling and other errors please.

• Side-partially-related note: GT's API tries to remove the mc-stupidity of class'splosion by making single monolithic reusable classes, it feels like it is trying to become component based but instead of doing it dynamically, which is far more powerful and very fast in both coding and execution time if done right, it instead is trying to 'bake' all components in to one massive main 'entity'. You really should finish your partial component design and go all the way.

Yeah, I am always trying to fit all use-cases in a single Class, so I can just toggle them on and off at any time. This is especially required for TileEntities, since those are required to have some sort of Super Class doing everything. It is just better to have everything be able to potentially do everything, rather than throwing a bunch of things together.

In case of Crates for example I will really need to make a new PrefixBlock Class just for them, due to a feature I plan to add.

Related to that planned Feature: How bad would it be to have 256 Icons each with a single Pixel being White, which are Rendered depending on a Bitmask so that people could paint a Picture or a Logo or something without having to download actual Files from the Server? I really guess doing it with OpenGL directly pixel by pixel instead of using 256 Icons is better, but I don't really know how to do that at all.

As for the ordict, I am pretty sure that all items Greg adds are oredicted, so if TE's dust is ordict, the recipies might not be ordicted, so while their dust works in other's recipies that use the ordict, only their dust works in their recipies.

This exactly. TE and other Recipe System adding Mods always had Problems with OreDicting their Recipes.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• @above
    Any gt inventory changes it to the gregtech version, so if you just run it through a gt inventory then import it again, it will change. Your inventory does it as well, but import and export bus on some gt inventory is more automatable.
    On phone, so excuse spelling and other errors please.

Is there any GT inventory that is no too expensive and can hold a bunch of items?

This exactly. TE and other Recipe System adding Mods always had Problems with OreDicting their Recipes.

I'll guess I'll go bug the TE guys then, thanks.

• In case of Crates for example I will really need to make a new PrefixBlock Class just for them, due to a feature I plan to add.

Related to that planned Feature: How bad would it be to have 256 Icons each with a single Pixel being White, which are Rendered depending on a Bitmask so that people could paint a Picture or a Logo or something without having to download actual Files from the Server? I really guess doing it with OpenGL directly pixel by pixel instead of using 256 Icons is better, but I don't really know how to do that at all.

If you want a 16x16 custom image to be rendered fairly quickly on the block layer (fastest) without shaders (which would make this trivially simple if so), then I would think one of these:

Either make a 16x16 image in a dynamic section of the block Atlas, this is more work to do. And limits how many custom images can exist, but renders the fastest.

Or the lazy way, a small 1/16th square polygon for each pixel, choose any white pixel on the Atlas (like add a single white pixel 'icon' for this), then just vertex color it after that, just base the color on a 16x16 array from the crate TE so anyone could do any color for any pixel, modulate with the block lighting of course. This method is more polys, but still decently fast if not tons and tons of crates.

Or if you want to support unholy amounts of crates, make textures for each dynamically, render via TE if near, do not render if far. The crates being painted can handle far.

Shaders would make it trivially easy regardless, but MC is not OGL2, yet (supposedly soonish). So you would early cut out 1990's era cards.

You might try to render them on the block layer as a point field, but I think you would have to do that on another tessellator, reduce polygon memory to a ninth or even better, but might look slightly unique...

Pixel-by-pixel would require shaders and another tessellator, but would be the fastest by far.
    Other ways too that I could describe.

P.S.: Still on phone...

Edit1: If you do not mind the image 'blending' the pixels, could do one vertex per color using vertex colors, many less vertices, though the image blends then...

• If you want a 16x16 custom image to be rendered fairly quickly on the block layer (fastest) without shaders (which would make this trivially simple if so), then I would think one of these:

Either make a 16x16 image in a dynamic section of the block Atlas, this is more work to do. And limits how many custom images can exist, but renders the fastest.

This would not be acceptable. Every pixel must be possible, similar to how TerraFirmaCraft handles chiseled Blocks (just with Texture instead of Microblocky looks)

Or the lazy way, a small 1/16th square polygon for each pixel, choose any white pixel on the Atlas (like add a single white pixel 'icon' for this), then just vertex color it after that, just base the color on a 16x16 array from the crate TE so anyone could do any color for any pixel, modulate with the block lighting of course. This method is more polys, but still decently fast if not tons and tons of crates.

So call it up to 256 times with different Block Bounds on a Color Modulated White Icon?

The Crate thing is more for people who for example wanna put an "ACME" Sign or something small on it, they wouldn't mass produce that stuff (I think). And for the sync I would limit it to 15 Colors (4 Bit, and 0 being the "no pixel to be rendered" Value). Note, that those 15 Colors would be custom and a Limit per crate. They would be predefined by the User on a per Crate Basis.

P.S.: Still on phone...

It is incredible how you can type that accurately on a Phone. Does it have an actual Key Pad or something like that? (I personally hate Touch Screen Keyboards)

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• This would not be acceptable. Every pixel must be possible, similar to how TerraFirmaCraft handles chiseled Blocks (just with Texture instead of Microblocky looks)

Different things.

So call it up to 256 times with different Block Bounds on a Color Modulated White Icon?

Sure, just render to whichever face only, not all faces.

The Crate thing is more for people who for example wanna put an "ACME" Sign or something small on it, they wouldn't mass produce that stuff (I think). And for the sync I would limit it to 15 Colors (4 Bit, and 0 being the "no pixel to be rendered" Value). Note, that those 15 Colors would be custom and a Limit per crate. They would be predefined by the User on a per Crate Basis.

Plus you can compress it for the network too if wanted, if you allow all colors but they use only a couple it will still compress well.

It is incredible how you can type that accurately on a Phone. Does it have an actual Key Pad or something like that? (I personally hate Touch Screen Keyboards)

Ditto, but touchscreen is what I have, use either Swype or Hackers Keyboard (no swipe but has all keyboard functionality, great for SSH sessions), sometimes Q keyboard.

• Different things.

What I mean't was the "limits how many custom images can exist". I worded it a bit badly.

-----

And ofcourse I am only going to render one face and not all 6 at once. I will do something custom what implements my ITexture Interface.

GregTech Website

• How do you ever manage to keep the quotes working on a phone too? Splitting the right paragraphs apart drives me nuts when my finger is often a similar width to the entire paragraph.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• What I mean't was the "limits how many custom images can exist". I worded it a bit badly.

Ah, what I meant was not an overall limit, but an 'in-range limit'. It would not limit your maximum, just limit how many could be rendered at once within draw distance, which you could even make configurable quite easily.

How do you ever manage to keep the quotes working on a phone too? Splitting the right paragraphs apart drives me nuts when my finger is often a similar width to the entire paragraph.

My hacker keyboard is a full keyboard, including shift and arrow keys and ctrl+c/v, bit of a hassle, but it works without finger. I also have an OTG cable so I can hook up a real keyboard, but not done that today, usually only while programming from phone.

Edit1: This forum software does suck though... A lot, especially quoting PMs with quotes or quoting parraphs with quotes, highly broken...

• Well, we *do* put the dust in the Ore Dictionary basically because it's automatic. I probably should stop that. However, our recipes don't support it, simply because nobody should be adding another Pyrotheum Dust. There is literally no reason for it.

Greg - seriously, must you copy every resource from TE? It gets old.

• Well, we *do* put the dust in the Ore Dictionary basically because it's automatic. I probably should stop that. However, our recipes don't support it, simply because nobody should be adding another Pyrotheum Dust. There is literally no reason for it.

Greg - seriously, must you copy every resource from TE? It gets old.

You should see his material dictionary, TE's resources are not the only resource being "copied" for "no reason".

For materials to be auto-supported he adds it to the list, which is automatic beyond that with little extra work.

Also, how the hell is TE so poorly designed that it registers oredict entries but does not use them?! And how is that not all automatic by design?!