[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• The Thermometer will currently also display Humidity aswell for now.

And the Bedrock Veins are WAAAAAAAY down in the Changelog at 6.00.10, because they are really old. Read the whole thing before claiming they aren't there :P

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Ok then. Spoiler below ;)

I was walking around, checking rocks with a magnifying glass. I picked only rocks, flint and meteoric iron; left others as markers. Eventually I found sheldonite rock. I thought I found platinum vein, so I was sort of disappointed: I don't want this easy iridium and osmium. Weird, isn't it? But it's the journey what matters, not the goal.

I tried to reach that "platinum vein" by stair-mining, as usual. No success. Just a magnetite vein directly below, stannite, apatite, even tetrahedrite around it. Also, there were several sheldonite rocks, and no other rocks from platinum vein laying on the ground. Anomaly.

Later I remembered that there are such super rare things that I have never found - bedrock ores. So I build a ladder to the bedrock and found it there. Sheldonite bedrock ores below sheldonite rocks on surface.

Greg, can I have a big laser drill to mine that?

• Is the Mold chiseled properly? I know you can make Obsidian Tools for sure wiht just 1 bucket of lava.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• The Molds always worked the same way, either click the middle or click the border that is closer to the crucible, you should know that by now.

GregTech Website

• The Molds always worked the same way, either click the middle or click the border that is closer to the crucible, you should know that by now.

I have always just clicked anywhere in the mold that has been chiseled out and it has worked.

What is up with railcraft? I just found a poor iron ore vein and poor iron ore would not mine with a flint pick. Used an obsidien pick and wila tells me it has a mining level of 1, which should mean flint should work.

• Did anyone ever find a solution to the FPS stutters that steam engines cause?

As in, as soon as they are running at max capacity fed by dense invar BB, strong invar boiler, copper fluid pipe, invar steam engine -> any machine. (In my case, sifter and crusher)

Because as soon as the setup evens out, the steam engine will flicker back and forth in color and that causes constant stutters. At first i just thought "oh well, minecraft in a nutshell" but when i ran both (sifter/crusher) at the same time it went to excrement.

Mind you, i have about 200 FPS normally and it's pretty much 120-150 FPS with the stutters. But a single frame drop for me is like being punched in the face. And is usually the reason i stop playing Minecraft every single time as it really isn't enjoyable.

In other words, with steam engines running like this, i can't play at all. So any fixes?

EDIT: Oh and i've read about using Steel instead. But that's just a workaround that isn't necessarily a fix. Just avoiding the situation. I don't want some random machine somewhere suddenly causing these FPS drops ruining the game for me. I want it to simply go away completely and i narrowed it down to the engines.

• I have a few Questions about this:

1. How quickly does it flicker between two States? Once per Tick? Once per Second?

(If it is more than once a second, I might be able to at least have the sync check only happen once per second, like I did for Sensors)

2. Are there any Render Heavy Blocks in the same Chunk as the Engine?

Yes that is an important one. GregTech Coins and filled Shelves are Render Heavy btw.

(Sure they don't cause any FPS Lag by themselves, but if something like the Steam Engine or a Sensor Block forces the Chunk to Re-Render, they take a while to rebuild their Rendering)

3. Are you operating your Engine properly? Usually a flickering Engine doesn't power the adjacent Machine properly, and if that is the case, then your Setup would be the thing that is broken.

The easiest way to find out if this is the case is seeing if the Sifter/Crusher change their Animation while the Engine flickers.

GregTech Website

• I have a few Questions about this:

1. Sometimes it's every tick, other times it varies between twice per second. The rate of flickering is consistent with the frame drops i am getting. As in, it varies a lot. And when both steam engines are running, it's twice as horrible. I haven't actually tried more than two engines at the same time.

2. I thought so too. So i replaced all Railcraft tanks with yours. Didn't even know your's were that great. But then i thought it might be the sounds that causes the drops. But after turning sounds off it made no difference. So i enabled sound multi threading in your config and the issue was gone for a while, but then it came back (i will get to that) and eventually the game crashed with a concurrentmodificationexception. As i expected it to.

I intended to replace all EnderIO conduits with your pipes as well but that's when i once again noticed the stutter was gone, just until the engines were up to speed and the flickering was back.

I started googling for the problem and came across a post in this very thread about steam engine flicker and the fps issues they caused. So that's when i became certain that the FPS drops happen because of the flickering steam engine.

Mind you, the world is a test world. I haven't actually started playing for real. Good thing too because issues like these always makes me ragedelete Minecraft. ;)

3. I would very much think so yes as the bronze sifter and bronze crusher takes 32 KU/t and the invar steam engines produces 32 KU/t at 100 steam/t. Though they are the only machines that show up as ~100 steam/t -> ~32 KU/t rather than say 64-256 steam/t -> 16-64 KU/t as i would have expected?

Am i getting this part wrong perhaps?

Either way, as the strong invar boiler (i am using distilled water btw) should push 128 steam/t out of the ~100 steam/t necessary i would assume the engine gets enough steam to push the necessary 32 KU/t for the sifter/crusher.

The animation changes, obviously, as the machine is running. I don't see any hints towards the machine not working correctly though.

Also, i did try the electric setup prior to building this "base" and there was no stuttering then.

------------

So yes, i think it would be a great idea to limit the color changes of the steam engine to once every second or so as it seems to (as far as i can tell at least) be the source of the stutters.

That, or somehow make it so they don't cause a chunk update as evident from the screenshots.

EDIT: I can test it without anything other than a distilled tank, some hax fuel and the machine setup if you want. But i think it would be better if you did it locally so you could debug? At least that's what i would do if i had a debug environment set up to begin with.

Also, thanks for your time!

• Ahh I see a large part of your Issue. Ender-IO Conduits are the Render Heaviest Blocks in MC History. Direwolf20 had to abandon countless of his Bases because of them, yet he still uses them for some reason.

And with the Sifter Animation I mean, does it turn from "Animated" to "Not Animated" all the Time, aka ON/OFF of the Machine itself. Because if it turns from Animated to Not Animated, while the Machine is supposed to be running Nonstop, then your Setup is not working properly and you made the mistake of using a wrong Engine/Steampipe/Boiler/Machine combo.

All I can do to help you is limiting the Texture Updates of the Engine to 1 per Second, the best you can do (what would be far more effective) is get rid of all things Ender-IO at that Chunk.

GregTech Website

• Alright, i will try that. But what you are saying then is that because the engine causes updates, it essentially causes all enderIO related stuff to redraw in that chunk?

Because it's not causing issues unless the engines are running. I will just have to try without EnderIO stuff though.

And thanks.

• If you really wanna use Ender-IO Stuff, place GT6 Stuff close to the chunk Border on one Side and the E-IO Stuff on the other Side of that Border, that might work. But yeah whenever the Engine changes from Active to Inactive (what in a proper Setup would NEVER flicker at all!!!) then it re-renders everything inside that Chunk. Sure, a Re-Render can only happen once per Tick, but if you have to do a lot at once, like those Conduits, you get a fucking big Lag Spike.

GregTech Website

• I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website

• Nope, still stutters without any EnderIO stuff. In my opinion, just as badly as before i removed all the EnderIO stuff.

I also made a test on a clean world with just a tank of distilled water and the same setup.

And the stuttering is there, just not as heavy as it was in the "base" which is explainable.

So i took it to some extremes and put ten of them in a row. It's all fine until the first one (because it had stored steam) starts to flicker. Then it's somewhat stuttery. Once all ten are up and running, it's like being eaten by a shark... If i ever knew what that was like.

If you wanna know, the row is occupying two separate chunks.

And no, sound playback is not the cause of the stutters. I notice you put that into the changelog. Sure, MC sound engine is bad but it's not to blame this time round.

EDIT: whoops, i named two images incorrectly. Fixed that.

EDIT #2: I'll add the shots without EnderIO as well. They are named "nope" as in nope.avi, it's not EnderIO's fault this time.

• Uhhm aside from Sound (what is INDEED capable of lagging the shit out of your FPS because MC doesnt do multithreading properly), and the generic chunk re-render update, that for someone who usually has 200 FPS should not even have a significant impact at all, there is nothing that could possibly cause that FPS spike. Also the same Chunk Rerender Update happens when the Boiler Pressure Needle goes up or down, or a Machine turns on or off, so if those things don't lag you it MUST be the Sound, because that is literally the only other Clientside thing the Engine does.

GregTech Website

• Sounds play before the stutters appear. The stutters appear ONLY when the engine is constantly changing state from one color to the next.

The FPS number is kinda irrelevant BTW. It's an average over one second. It doesn't show which of those frames rendered in 30 milliseconds and which did so i 1 millisecond. For that one needs to run a fraps benchmark. I could do that too, no problem. But so far it's pretty evident that the steam engine switching state from one to the other IS the source of the stuttering for whatever reason. And to be honest, it's not really the chunk updates either because i can run light shows in MC over several chunks without much stuttering. Stuttering ONLY happens when something takes too long in a single frame and i can have 200 chunk updates and still not notice any stutters.

EDIT: Oh and i am on SP as i were when i made the missing recipe report.

Either way, i'll just use electric engines then. No problem.

EDIT #2: Btw, the steam engine doesn't happen to play the sound when it chances speeds does it? Because that could make sense if it's replaying the sound every tick and never gets to finish it. But at the same time, i haven't heard the engine play doubles nor have i heard it cut one in half. So maybe not.