[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• So I'm still trying to get the basic processing machines set up in this brave new world after getting home from vacation with the kids and moving into a new house. I have realized that to make a buzzsaw requires cobalt bronze which requires aluminum ( don't remember that from before ), and I know there was a change to make aluminum harder a while back, but I am now noticing that while purified aluminum ore can be had from sluicing crushed bauxite ore, it does not come from sifting bauxite sand. Is it intended that bauxite sand be near useless compared to stone bauxite ore early game, and before you need the aluminum to make the shredder to make the crusher so you can properly crush stone bauxite ore?

Aluminium is the MV Tier Material, meaning you should go LV first with Galvanized Steel. There is no supposed "easy" way to get Aluminium, until you get an Electrolyzer.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Aluminium is the MV Tier Material, meaning you should go LV first with Galvanized Steel. There is no supposed "easy" way to get Aluminium, until you get an Electrolyzer.

But there is no saw recipe for diamond to diamond plate, meaning that this

would imply that even the lowest tier crusher is now either considered higher

tier than the LV electrical age, or that the "correct" way to build it is to hammer

crush and sift about a stack of diamond ore (50 on average, more if unlucky)

for 2 rare flawless diamonds.

This isn't an aluminium nerf - it's a buzzsaw+crusher nerf. Is that the intent?

• Buzzsaw only needs 4 tiny dusts worth of aluminium. Last time I got it from hammer-crushing bauxite ore and washing it in cauldron. An alternative to bauxite is almandine.

• Greg, IC2 classic recipe for energy crystal is 1 diamond + 8 redstone in a workbench. Is this a bug or a feature? This can be related to energium dust, which doesn't exist.

• Greg, IC2 classic recipe for energy crystal is 1 diamond + 8 redstone in a workbench. Is this a bug or a feature? This can be related to energium dust, which doesn't exist.

I am fully aware that Energium Dust doesn't exist in IC2C and therefore don't touch the Recipe.

If this isn't an Aluminium Nerf, then the next Version of GT6 will totally be exactly that - an Aluminium Nerf.

Buzzsaw only needs 4 tiny dusts worth of aluminium. Last time I got it from hammer-crushing bauxite ore and washing it in cauldron. An alternative to bauxite is almandine.

You mean Diamond Dust, not Aluminium Dust, right?

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• You mean Diamond Dust, not Aluminium Dust, right?

I mean aluminium dust. Buzzsaw requires 4 cobalt brass. Cobalt brass is: 1 aluminium + 1 cobalt + 7 brass -> 9 cobalt brass. So, to get 4 cobalt brass I like to use 4/9 aluminium, 4/9 cobalt, 28/9 brass. No leftovers this way.

How to get elemental aluminium from alumina? Does it behave like a usual oxide (garnierite, cassiterite) by becoming 3/4 of element when heated in crucible?

• Oh Alumina => Aluminium will be a huge chemical process

GregTech Website

• Interesting. So to get diamond plates early (for crusher and shredders), a player will have to branch mine near bedrock (what I already like to do). That's not hard, especially with silk touch or fortune enchants. Bonus: a chance to find oil.

• I have to believe that the machine gating is an unforeseen side-effect

of wanting to prevent a low-tech route directly to Tier 2 Electric.

If the buzzsaw, crusher and shredder are all either post-Tier 1 Electric

or else post-massive-diamond-vein find then I'm afraid I'll lose faith.

Assuming an oversight, the lowest impact solution would be to change

the material needed for the buzzsaw blade - maybe Cobalt High Speed

Steel would be a better choice than Cobalt Brass? It's plausible,

characterful, requires some effort to obtain, but doesn't gate the most

basic machines behind unreasonable pre-requisites, while allowing

you to keep the aluminium nerf, guilt-free.

Data I could find suggests a lower melting point than your standard

steel, but I figure it could form at around the 2000K mark from:

5 steel, 1 molybdenum, 1 tungsten, 1 chromium and 1 cobalt.

The molybdenum decomposes from the molybdenite at 1224K,

the tungsten decomposes from wolframite at 953K, and both ores

are by-products of tin/cassiterite. As long as you allow the alloy to

form at ~2000K-ish, rather than requiring the tungsten to melt,

then it wouldn't be an unreasonable material to require 1 batch

of as a gateway technology.

EDIT: D'oh! Numbers were in centigrade - melting point should be

more like 2150-2200K, higher than your standard steel but still

ceramic crucible friendly...

• Amber gives Silk Touch afaik (greatly increasing the chance of a Flawless/Exquisite Gem from small Ores to 20% instead of 6.66%), and now that you can make Amber tipped Steel Pickaxe Heads, this shouldn't be a large challenge anymore. Or just find a large Diamond Vein and sift the outcome.

As for the Alumina, you have to go through a whole lot of Chemical processes to get that one done. Reminds me, there is no reaction between Acid and Crucible right now. Maybe I should fix that.

Edit: Okay the Crusher will use Diamond Gems now, while the Shredder will stay on Plate.

GregTech Website

• Edit: Okay the Crusher will use Diamond Gems now, while the Shredder will stay on Plate

This would help, but it puts the buzzsaw behind the crusher in progression and still

saps a lot of purpose and utility from the steam age, railroading the player in to

grinding through, rather than settling for a time. I think we must have been typing at

about the same time - did you see my post about just changing the material of the

saw-blade to not require aluminium? "Cobalt HSS" could be a candidate.

• The Buzzsaw has one Main Purpose and a lot of "automating things that a handsaw can do, just slightly more efficient" Purposes. And the Main Purpose is making Gem Plates from regular Gems. That was why it's supposed to be later in the game. I might make the lowest Tier a bit cheaper, but the higher Tiers especially the Tier that can cut Gems, will stay like it is now.

GregTech Website

• Then I think this is my stop... GT6 has been feeling pretty full-featured

for a while now anyway. I'll swing by from time to time, but I'll probably

stop updating at this point - I wasn't a huge fan of the pre-steam turbine

progression that railroaded players into the electric ages and the mad

hunt for tungsten, and I feel we're slipping back towards that direction

again.

Thanks for all the content - without any shadow of a doubt, GregTech has

been the most engaging game I've played in many years. Have very high

hopes for your next project.

All the best.

• Are you really that pissed at such a change? You do know that I am always rebalancing things as I see fit? I wouldn't give up on updating just because of the Higher Tier Buzzsaw won't be easy to make, and regular Diamonds not being able to be made into Plates without it for a Shredder.

GregTech Website

• I'm confused... you can get the aluminum from hammering and washing regular bauxite ore, so why are we talking about wanting the saw to be post electric age ( which makes no sense at all )? The only question is why can you get aluminum from regular bauxite ore but not the sand kind?

Going back to the discussion about the cutter being post electric, why do you think that? After you get the 3 plates for a crusher and shredder, you don't need any more. It isn't like diamond plates are really nice resources that should be rare until post electric age. You just need them to get the basic machines built and it is nice to be able to do that having found 2 regular diamonds and one flawed instead of having to find 3 flawed and enough regular or chipped to get 1 dust.

• I'm confused... you can get the aluminum from hammering and washing regular bauxite ore, so why are we talking about wanting the saw to be post electric age ( which makes no sense at all )? The only question is why can you get aluminum from regular bauxite ore but not the sand kind?

In this next week's update Greg is changing the washing (and other) ways of getting aluminum to instead give Alumina (Al2O3) which must be electrolyzed for aluminum.

• Are you really that pissed at such a change? You do know that I am always rebalancing things as I see fit? I wouldn't give up on updating just because of the Higher Tier Buzzsaw won't be easy to make, and regular Diamonds not being able to be made into Plates without it for a Shredder.

It's not about the update, it's your vision for the future.

In this current iteration of GregTech, you've absolutely nailed the progression model.

It is long-playing, rewarding and non-grindy. It's a neatly terraced, gently sloping hillside.

Pisac006.jpg

Every phase of play feels complete enough on it's own to settle and play for a time

without feeling pressured into advancing, At every point the player can see the

advantages of moving on up through to the higher tiers, but at every point the

player can have fun where they are. Phases of gameplay are broad and the steps

between them manageable. The gameplay evolves organically over the course of

weeks and months.

The changes you are proposing will front-load the progression, trashing the experience

of the steam age and turning the first couple of weeks of gameplay into a miserable

grind. At the end of it, the player will be in the early electrical age and there will be no

incentive to go back and experience much of the early game.

We've had that experience before - before the introduction of steam turbines, when

the only source of RU was an electric motor, aluminium was rarer than gold and when

the galvanised steel motor required a tungsten crucible. You've put an enormous

amount of work into progression since then and the game is infinitely improved by it.

But those early versions had the excuse of being really quite incomplete. Now you're

talking about taking us there deliberately.

(To be clear, dropping the shredder from the steam age means dropping even basic

automation from the steam age too. "Making things easier the hard way" will not be

true again until the electrical age. Since when did automation stop being a core GT

gameplay mechanic?)

You mean Diamond Dust, not Aluminium Dust, right?

Clearly, there was no way you were planning to massively restructure the early game with

introduction of alumina - you'd momentarily forgotten that aluminium was a pre-requisite

of the buzzsaw, crusher and shredder. But your answers since have just doubled-down.

I wouldn't give up on updating

If I update to the next version, it will be a broken version and I will have to wait and

trust that you will eventually fix the progression. If you never do, I'll have broken my

save-files and never be able to go back.

To be clear, this isn't some vindictive, retaliatory action. I'm not pissed and striking out.

I just think you're going down a road I don't want to follow. I meant what I said before:

Thanks for all the content - without any shadow of a doubt, GregTech has

been the most engaging game I've played in many years. Have very high

hopes for your next project.

All the best.

• Maybe I don't know something, but shredder requires 1 diamond plate and some bronze. Diamond plate currently can be made from flawless (or better) diamond using a saw. No need for buzzsaw. I understand that normal diamonds (from dungeon chests, railcraft geodes) are much more common than flawless+ diamonds (only from mining near bedrock or from diamond veins). Next update will even buff crusher to require diamond gems instead of plates. So what is your issue, seregheru?