[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• I've never gotten a dynamo that powerful so you may be trying to run more steam than bronze pipes can carry. Also don't forget you lose a few EU going down wires. A battery box means you can charge it up more slowly with a less powerful dynamo, then burst out the power to run the machine for a while. Or you can charge the battery box with multiple smaller dynamos.

my issue thus far with the battery box is, let's say i'm trying to run a MV electrolyzer with a MV battery box. how many batteries should/can i use? does using more than one battery at a time make a difference? how much power does it put out when attached to a machine of the same tier? how do i change the power output to better suite my needs? currently i've tried using multiple batteries and after the number of batteries exceeds the amperage limit on the wires they ignite. with any number of setups i've tried they have all failed to run properly. most recently i tried running a MV electrolyzer with a MV battery box trying to process magnetite. i tried 1-15 batteries in the large battery box and none of them processed the magnetite.

• One way to get consistent power is to have an excess of generating capacity by building

multiple generating units, each charging a smaller battery, all feeding into a larger

battery bank. You then use a little automation to toggle each generator unit on or off

when the attached smaller battery fills or empties. Despite an excess of capacity, because

each generator spends some fraction of it's time turned off, you consume roughly the

right amount of fuel on average (there is a cooldown/re-heating cost on the boiler, but

this is fairly small during constant or near constant operation, and during occasional

use the total cost is so small that even a large fractional waste is negligible)

The same approach can be used to have the enormous multiblock generator efficiently

power much smaller machines - you have the machine draw a small amount of power from

a battery, and use automation to have the generator top the battery back up once it falls

below a certain level.

The key in both cases is to physically and logically decouple the generation and consumption.

All of your generators feed into a central pool, all of your consumers draw from that pool.

Beyond fuel efficiency, the other advantage of this approach is that the same few generators

can power any of the dozens and dozens of machines in your base. This splits the costs

of expansion into two parts: at first you can build a wider variety of machines, to give you

flexibility and efficiency in the components you manufacture; later you can build more

generators to give you improved productivity by allowing you to run more machines

simultaneously.

• More batteries in the box means more energy packets per tick can come out. MV machines can take up to 256 EU/t, so two batteries will output that and just about fully power the machine. A few EU are lost in the wires though, so if a third battery is installed, the machine will pull a third smaller packet to get the full 256 EU. This is of course, as long as all of the batteries still have sufficient charge in them. If you are trying take out more than you are putting in from the dynamo, eventually the batteries will empty and stop providing enough power to the machine.

• Ok. My previous post was ninja'd, on account of being long and taking some thought, and

the same may happen to this one, so I'm going to potentially double post rather than

make an edit that might get lost.

Last post was a high level overview. For some more low level tips:

* you can combine EU in a way you can't other energy types

If you need twice the generator capacity, rather than building the next tier of generator

you can just build a second identical generator and feed its output into the same battery

bank. Need more? Build another identical generator.

* each battery in a battery box outputs 1 amp

place 4 LV batteries in a battery box and the output will be 4 amps of LV, NOT 1 amp of

MV. Make sure the wires can handle 4 amps, make sure the machines they connect to

can handle LV packets. For changing packet size, use a transformer.

* don't connect your big battery bank directly to machines.

For storage you want many batteries in a large battery box, however for consumption

you want the amps out to be appropriate to the machine. Have your large storage

battery box feed into another battery box with a number of batteries chosen to provide

the correct current. If the recipe requires 64 EU/t then connect a battery box with two

32 EU/t batteries in it. As the purpose of this second battery box is to regulate current,

don't bother with expensive batteries - use cheaper sodium or redstone batteries.

* keep high current sections short and build in a cable type that can take the highest possible current

Ideally your 16 slot battery bank will feed directly into a transformer, ideally your smaller

two-battery battery box will connect directly to the machine. When you do need to move

higher currents, remember that you are paying the wire losses on each packet

individually - 4 amps loses 4x as much as 1 amp at 4x the voltage.

* use transformers

Cable losses should be an incentive towards tighter design - not a threat to your spare

generating capacity. Even with a power station in a separate building to my main

production lines, my total cable losses are between 4-6%. That's about the same as 1 amp

of LV flowing through one or two lengths of cable. Ideally, never send LV down a wire, never

move MV more than a few blocks, limit HV to the width of a room/workshop, and use EV

for everything else.

* in most cases there is no harm in providing the maximum power a machine can handle

Over clocking penalties apply when you use a higher tier machine - in most cases

when you pump more energy into a machine, it simply runs faster and no energy

is lost. Rather than modifying your set-up for each recipe, simply put 2 amps of

the appropriate voltage into each machine and it will handle all the recipes that that

tier of machine can handle anyway. The big exception to this is the electric engine

- this one needs some extra tinkering by design. (There is another subtler exception

that kicks in once you get to the point where you are running many parallel lines

unsupervised, in which you deliberately put less power into more machines, effectively

consuming dead time rather than generator capacity)

* (General non-electric tip) Remember the overclocking penalty

When you use a higher tier machine than necessary, several things happen:

• the instantaneous power requirement is quadrupled.
    • the total power requirement is doubled.
    • the total processing time is halved.

Many cases of recipes failing to proceed occur because people see that a recipe needs, e.g.,

64 EU/t, and instead of using two amps in an LV machine, they try to use one amp in an MV

machine. The instantaneous requirement becomes 256 EU/t, needing two amps of MV,

rather than the one amp being supplied.

* GT recipes are expensive relative to battery capacity

The approach of charging batteries up with a weak generator in order to power a more

expensive recipe is rarely a fun experience. Batteries run out really, really fast, GT recipes

are really, really expensive by comparison, and if you plan to hot-swap a load of fresh

batteries, you really need at least two battery boxes to make it work anyway, or the

instantaneous interruption resets the machine's progress. It can be useful early on for

one or two important recipes, but generally you're better off taking that same time and

effort and putting it into building another generator. One refinement of the technique

is to connect the whole system as if it would run unbuffered, then use a wrench to turn

the battery box front face to the side while the batteries charge. Once the batteries are

charged, turn the battery box back the correct way, while leaving the generator running.

The trickle from the generator will slow the rate at which the batteries run down. With

sensor and redstone switch covers, a similar effect can be automated, but by the time

you are able to set this up, there shouldn't be many recipes that exceed your generator

capacity.

Finally:

* Electricity is the most easily distributed form of power, not necessarily the best

On reaching the electric age, it is tempting to see it as the preferred source of power

for all purposes. The real advantage of electricity over other forms of power is that you

can move it easily from a static generator to any of a number of end-points. This has

two implications for design: 1) If you don't need this mobility, it is often better to build

an on-site steam->KU/RU based solution; 2) If you are going to build electrical generators,

there is no reason at all to have them tied to a single machine - when that machine has

nothing to do, or you don't need any more of it's output, those generators should be

available to provide power for another purpose.

• changelog wrote:

More proper Titanium Processing.

The Centrifuging of molten Ilmenite into Rutile and Hematite is no longer possible.

Instead you need Sulfuric Acid to make Rutile and Green Vitriol.

Rutile (or Ilmenite directly) + Coke + Chlorine + Calcite in Burner Mixer is needed to make it into Titanium Chloride.

Titanium Chloride + Sodium or Magnesium = Titanium + Salt

That's interesting... does that mean there is a route to titanium without tungsten?

That would restore the niobium titanium crucible pathway wouldn't it?

(besides the obvious change of making the processing of titanium itself more interesting

and creating an incentive to build a new multi-block production line...)

• Yeah the "melting shit and centrifuging it" Path Way got removed and replaced with a purely chemical way of processing.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Привет, Грег, есть одна проблема с IC2, это то, что руды генерируются из нее очень часто, ее можно назвать видом халявы. Но если мы говорим о нормальном выживания, то лучше заменить их рудами GT6

• Привет, Грег, есть одна проблема с IC2, это то, что руды генерируются из нее очень часто, ее можно назвать видом халявы. Но если мы говорим о нормальном выживания, то лучше заменить их рудами GT6

Google translate output for convenience:

Hi, Greg, there is one problem with IC2, this is that the ores are generated from it very often, it can be called a kind of freebie. But if we are talking about normal survival, it is better to replace them with ores GT6

Vanilla mostly uses ores to craft tools, weapons and armour. You don't need many of these.

GT6 mostly uses ores to craft machine-blocks. There is no strict limit to how many machines you might want to make.

Also, some GT6 machines are very, very expensive. So you need more ore compared to vanilla.

If you try to play in a vanilla style with GT6 ores, many of the ores will be useless to you, because you need machines

to convert them into refined metals.

From a role-play perspective - most economically significant ores in real life occur in very large veins. Sites develop into

"coal mines" or "iron ore mines" or "diamond mines". In vanilla, the whole world is every type of mine at once. You can

find any ore anywhere. GT6 comes much closer to reality in this way.

(Tweaked language a little until round-trip English-Russian-English translation seemed reasonable...

apparently "tools"=="guns" and "machines"=="cars"...)

Slightly tweaked google translate:

• Disable IC2 Ores in the Config, that is the only proper way.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• seregheru, that was pretty much exactly the information i was looking for. thank you so much for that. have your quotes saved in my GT notes.

last thing for now i'm a little shaky on: with battery boxes and amps, does a single amp always produce the 1/2 total power described in the tooltip? for instance will a medium battery box always produce 128/ EU/t per amp?

• ok so here's where my issue with understanding comes in to play with battery boxes/ using electricity. this is the type of setup i've been using to try and test how electricity works. steam setup that puts out 256 RU/t into a mv dynamo, mv battery box with 3 mv sodium batteries, mv electrolyzer with magnetite within. from what i've read here in the last few posts, this should function. it's giving out 2 packets of 128 and a third battery for EU loss if i were to use a copper wire. the magnetite isn't processing

• Well if you have a Batbox with a variable amount of Batteries then maybe, but I presume that those Boxes are usually having the same Battery Count all time. There is indeed cases where that is not the case though indeed.

GregTech Website

• GT Hoppers have 2 mods emitting divisible stacksizes and exact stacksizes of x. But GT Hoppers are very fast and there is not much difference between this mods. So if I want a Hopper to emit exactly x items, I try to send the shortest redstone impulse, but hopper will emit 2x items.
    I want to automate iron processing and throw in crucible exactly 3 dark ashes and 7 magnetite using redstone impulse when needed.