[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• The Garbage Bin is for actual real play, so use that. the Garbage DUMP is the Admin one.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Axle did you try updating the GT6 Addons first?

I don't believe I was trying to use any addons?

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• I don't believe I was trying to use any addons?

Well there has been a GT6 update since your last post afaik, so please test that one

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• I forgot, why Gregtech is not on Curse?

Because Curse SUCKS, that's why.

GregTech Website

• I’m a little fuzzy on the drawbacks of Curse. It tends to be my preferred site to pick up mods because you can easily filter for Minecraft versions. If you’re looking for the version of a mod that works with 1.7.10, that’s helpful.

• I’m a little fuzzy on the drawbacks of Curse. It tends to be my preferred site to pick up mods because you can easily filter for Minecraft versions. If you’re looking for the version of a mod that works with 1.7.10, that’s helpful.

They basically make shitloads of money with Mods and give <1% of that to the Modders with a very questionable ratio. Also they have Ads on their Site that are outright bad, I already got hit by those twice recently. Curse is still a shithole and they are not going to change any of that. Heck Twitch is gonna make that worse!

GregTech Website

• They basically make shitloads of money with Mods and give <1% of that to the Modders with a very questionable ratio. Also they have Ads on their Site that are outright bad, I already got hit by those twice recently. Curse is still a shithole and they are not going to change any of that. Heck Twitch is gonna make that worse!

You're anticipating Curse makes a whole lot more money than they do, if it were that easy to do just on hosting someone would've undercut them long ago. If anyone would be making things worse it's Amazon too, they're the one who own Twitch if we're (or more importantly they're) playing evil corporate. Hardly an incentive for them to be doing that anyway, at marginal profitability overall they'd rather not be upsetting the userbase too much.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Its hard to do a hosting service is nobody knows about you, and guess what, curse owns the forums so people know about them, undercutting is not that easy, you always need a Userbase aswell.

GregTech Website

• Its hard to do a hosting service is nobody knows about you, and guess what, curse owns the forums so people know about them, undercutting is not that easy, you always need a Userbase aswell.

People weren't attracted to Curse from hosting the forums, they're attracted because they can earn easy money. Not like anyone was looking at Curse for mods before it offered Minecraft things after all. The ship to compete has probably sailed unless you could offer something significantly better than what it already provides, but fundamentally if Curse isn't bad enough for people to switch away from the benefits must be outweighing the drawbacks. At the end of the day its that balance that determines whether as a platform as a whole is worth it, even if individual aspects are certainly questionable.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• People weren't attracted to Curse from hosting the forums, they're attracted because they can earn easy money. Not like anyone was looking at Curse for mods before it offered Minecraft things after all. The ship to compete has probably sailed unless you could offer something significantly better than what it already provides, but fundamentally if Curse isn't bad enough for people to switch away from the benefits must be outweighing the drawbacks. At the end of the day its that balance that determines whether as a platform as a whole is worth it, even if individual aspects are certainly questionable.

And in the end people STILL use windows despite better alternatives, the issue is people use it because others use it too, and that snowballs into a giant problematic clusterfuck that cant be fixed anymore.

GregTech Website

• My choice for Curse was because it is a site where one has very high chance that downloads add towards the real author of that mod, and that the real author can get something from that (even though maybe not much). Most other webs just steal JARs and put them behind adf ly or similar shitty page. At least on Curse with adblock you have clean page and direct downloads. So yeah....

It is still better than Spigot. Those people for plugins are crazy, and monetize them like no tomorrow. Even basic stuff is paid af. The Curse minor payments and patreon-like mentality of modders is heavens compared to that.

• And in the end people STILL use windows despite better alternatives

What alternatives are you imagining? Mac OS? Because Linux doesn’t qualify, nor does any other Unix variant I’m aware of. It’s not remotely user-friendly enough for mass adoption. When you’re talking about “better alternatives” to Windows, you have to restrict yourself to OS’s my mother-in-law can use, or you’re not being realistic.

I’m assuming you’re not including tablet OS’s like iOS or Android. They’re certainly usable enough, but they’re gimped compared to real desktop OS’s.

• What alternatives are you imagining? Mac OS? Because Linux doesn’t qualify, nor does any other Unix variant I’m aware of. It’s not remotely user-friendly enough for mass adoption. When you’re talking about “better alternatives” to Windows, you have to restrict yourself to OS’s my mother-in-law can use, or you’re not being realistic.

I’m assuming you’re not including tablet OS’s like iOS or Android. They’re certainly usable enough, but they’re gimped compared to real desktop OS’s.

Linux is much more User Friendly nowadays, I use Kubuntu myself and it basically looks like a reskin/upgrade of Windows without all the User Hostile Garbage Windows does, and hey since a month a lot of Windows exclusive Steam Games even run on Linux.

And the Mother in Law case is literally a check for "can I open a Browser and something similar to MS Office"? And both are available as a free Variant.

Heck Linux is 100% Free, Windows costs money and is preinstalled (and almost nobody knows how to even install another OS!), guess why people dont use Linux. It is for sure not quality or user friendliness that attracts people to Windows, its literally the "everyone else uses it" effect being too strong.

GregTech Website

• I've been using NetBSD (which is not even Linux) for more than 10 years, and I'm truly happy with it.

Anyway, when it comes to "alternatives to Windows", don't forget that average Windows users don't even know what the hell is an OS!

• The Linux desktop experience has improved a lot over the past decade or so. My dad is a non-technical computer user. A couple of years ago, my dad's aging Windows PC got hit with malware. After that happened, I built him a new PC and set him up with Linux Mint and he loves it. He mostly uses it to browse the web, check his email, and print pictures and for the most part, he hasn't ran into any trouble there. The worst thing I could say (comparing Linux Mint to Windows) is that getting documents / pictures to print the way you want them to is harder than it needs to be. Occasionally I'll need to help him out with installing software. For example, he's an amateur radio operator and wanted to download EchoLink, but the official software only runs on Windows so I set him up with an open-source alternative that runs on linux, Qtel. Thanks to Package Managers, installing and keeping software up to date on Linux is often easier and more streamlined than on Windows, but there was no package for Qtel at the time so I had to build it from source. It took me about 2/3 hours to straighten everything out, but for a non-technical user it would have been much harder or (at my dad's age) impossible.

I'm a long-time Windows user that started dabbling with Linux around 2011 (my webserver runs Arch Linux). My main PC runs Windows 7, but after it dies or Microsoft stops supporting it, I plan to switch over to Linux full time. I hate the way Windows 8 looks, and I hate that they kept that look in Windows 10. Despite some significant improvements (e.g. the Ubuntu subsystem, the shift away from cmd.exe to PowerShell, etc.), Windows 10 made a lot of user-hostile changes. Telemetry and forced updates are two of these changes that I despise the most. It's your system, it's your data. You should be in control of that, but Microsoft has taken that away from its users. Fuck that.

My biggest criticism of Curse (as a consumer rather than a creator) is that they are too big and control too much of the Minecraft community. Curse is probably the biggest distributor for Minecraft mods on the web, and in many cases the only place you can find a (legitimate/safe copy of) a mod. They also run the Minecraft Forum, the official Minecraft Wiki, the FTB forums, and the official FTB Wiki. And now, they're owned by Twitch, which is in turn owned by Amazon, a scummy corporation that cares about these sites about as little as it cares about its own employees. Everybody takes the availability of the third-party content Curse hosts for granted, but I'm afraid that as Minecraft continues to decline in popularity, Amazon, Twitch, or Curse will decide that it's not worth the effort to continue supporting these sites and simply shut them down. If that happens, users stand to lose a great deal of the modded Minecraft ecosystem to the sands of time, and the good times we had would become something we could never relive or share with future generations.

The post was edited 1 time, last by theJ89: phrasing ().

• Here’s a pretty basic question:

How would the non-technical people out there 1) learn that Linux exists, and 2) obtain a computer with Linux not just installed, but set up so they could easily use it? These are people who, as depressed_pho points out, have no idea what an operating system is.

That “building it from source” is something you might need to do reminds me of CP/M. Back in the 70’s, CP/M was the “serious” operating system for micromputers, but it assumed that you were a programmer and comfortable with things like writing your own device drivers if you had to. When computers became a mass-market thing, sold to people who weren’t electronics hobbyists, it lost out to things like MS-DOS.

You could install CP/M on an IBM PC or an Apple II, and in fact one of my earliest paying jobs was setting up a medical database on a Apple II running dBase II on CP/M, but it was never, ever going to become a mainstream OS.

There is, of course, also the software ecosystem issue. Which is (probably) what Greg was referring to in his first post.

• The worst thing I could say (comparing Linux Mint to Windows) is that getting documents / pictures to print the way you want them to is harder than it needs to be.

It instantly worked for me with a Canon Printer, like I didnt even need to install Stuff. Its all Brand dependent there.

I hate the way Windows 8 looks, and I hate that they kept that look in Windows 10

Windows 8 and Windows 10 are not similar to each other at ALL, I actually have both! Windows 10 is WORSE than 8!

Windows 10 made a lot of user-hostile changes. Telemetry and forced updates are two of these changes that I despise the most. It's your system, it's your data. You should be in control of that, but Microsoft has taken that away from its users. Fuck that.

Yep, cant turn off Windows Update in 10 anymore, you can at least throttle that by selecting "Metered Connection" in Network Manager though.

Also people literally got force updated from Win8 to Win10 because someone at Microsoft decided to make the "Do not update to Windows 10 Button" (which nags you once a month about it btw) actually CAUSE the Update to Windows 10 for one Version, and all of a sudden Users were literally waking up to Windows 10 being installed on their supposed to be Windows 8 System, with them explicitly disagreeing with it!

I'm glad I turned off Windows Update for Win 8 entirely, so I only did security Updates, otherwise that would have happened to me too I think. (I switched to Kubuntu 2 months ago, and now I cant even touch Windows without figuratively vomiting anymore).

How would the non-technical people out there 1) learn that Linux exists, and 2) obtain a computer with Linux not just installed, but set up so they could easily use it? These are people who, as depressed_pho points out, have no idea what an operating system is.

That's why you need someone else to pre-install Linux for those people, so that there is a level playing field. Heck you could install a Dual Boot for Linux and Windows very easily, I did that twice already, and it simply lets you choose at startup which to use (and defaults to whatever is first in the Boot Order if no keys are pressed for a few seconds).

There is, of course, also the software ecosystem issue. Which is (probably) what Greg was referring to in his first post.

Yep the "It is installed already and mostly works with my old Games that are all Windows" Issue.

GregTech Website

• https://www.patreon.com/posts/21892499

Update Post, Technical Difficulties made the Build System break exactly at the time of Release, so please stand by.

GregTech Website

• https://www.patreon.com/posts/22043628

This time no Tech Difficulties afaik. ^^

GregTech Website