[GregTech-6][1.7.10][Website][Patreon] Info, Support and Suggestions

• Say, why is it that all of the other tungsten ores acid wash for a metal chloride that has to be smelted and then electrolyzed, but tungstate gives lithium chloride, which instead of smelting has to be electrolyzed with water. Why can't you do it in molten form?

• Update, this time full of links to link to links to shit. Nice and convoluted since Patreons Editor is still broken.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/29130042

And that one Tungsten Ore that is different is simply because i didnt have a chemical process for it at hand.

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    GregTech 6, the Main Thread, Bug Reports go here too.
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Suggestion: make the smelter capable of making wrought iron and annealed copper by putting in already molten iron or copper. The thing has a liquid input slot that isn't used.

Yeah sounds reasonable. Why didnt I think of that XD

I don't say, your "insert whatever" is bad. I'm only showing ways for making it better.
    GregTech Website
    Patreon really helps me out. If you consider funding the development of GT, so I might be able to do it fulltime, why not?
    I'm also on #gt-dev on irc.esper.net, if you don't want to make a Forum account just to contact me.
    (I'm there almost every day, when I'm at my own computer. Yes you can drop bugs and suggestions there too)

• Yeah sounds reasonable. Why didnt I think of that XD

Now if only I could convince you to add a mixer recipe for iron + carbon => steel, I would never have to stand over a crucible again!

Or.. how about carbon in the solid slot + molten wrought iron in the liquid slot of the smelter => steel?

• Smelter wont do steel sorry. I do STILL plan on a Blast Furnace of some sorts, or a Multiblock Crucible that can have air pumped in. XD

GregTech Website

• Uhhm I came up with Steel automation before the Steel Recipe was even released. :P

GregTech Website

• Uhhm I came up with Steel automation before the Steel Recipe was even released.

How? I'm trying to play around now with 4 hoppers, a temperature sensor, a pulse former, and red alloy wire. I need to invert the signal though before going to the hoppers, and you did add the ability to stick a redstone torch on as a cover to red alloy wire, but how does it work? I must not understand it because I can't get it to act as an inverter. Or it kind of does in that it lights up when the wire is OFF, but I can't connect another wire to the torch to pick up the inverted signal.

• Well that didn't work. I set the hoppers to only output 5 iron dust, 5 tiny iron dust, and 1 tiny carbon dust into a center hopper then into the crucible. I used a pulse former going into a solid block with a redstone torch to invert the signal then into the hoppers so they should have only been able to dispense for a single tick, but they appear to have dumped 3 loads into the crucible instead of only 1.

• So I normally have to set the repeater delay to 2 ticks in the pulse former to make auto igniters work, but I tried lowering it to one tick in my attempted auto steel setup, and now the hoppers drop only 2 loads instead of 3. Why can't I get them to only drop 1 load?

• Uh you can definitely get hoppers to only drop one load, just play around with all the tools that the hopper claims to work on it.

GregTech Website

• Uh you can definitely get hoppers to only drop one load, just play around with all the tools that the hopper claims to work on it.

The tools let you set how many items it should output at once. I set them to 5 and 1, but when they get the redstone negative pulse, twice that number is dropped. Despite that, the crucible has room for two batches at once, so I did get this monster working:

Once the temperature hits 2050, the redstone signal activates the faucet to transfer the molten steel to a secondary crucible on an electric heater with a sensor set to keep it just above 2050, while a mold auto pours. The same signal goes through a 4 tick delay repeater then into a pulse former with the subtractor driving a solid block with a redstone torch on it to act as an inverter, which then is wired up to the hoppers.

• Not a crucible! Must automate steel! Unless... has someone come up with a way to automate steel production in a crucible?

I've been using a very lazy solution for a rather long time - basically put 10 carbon in a crucible, and then put 500 iron in the hopper above crucible. And then just point myself at the single mold and put something heavy on the right mouse button :).

Even though now I have a somewhat universal auto-smelter, sometimes it takes wrong amounts of materials, and I still don't know exactly why. The funniest part is that I have to use an Excel document to calculate the values for hoppers and thermo-sensors

The post was edited 2 times, last by DragDen ().

• I've been using a very lazy solution for a rather long time - basically put 10 carbon in a crucible, and then put 500 iron in the hopper above crucible. And then just point myself at the single mold and put something heavy on the right mouse button :).

Even though now I have a somewhat universal auto-smelter, sometimes it takes wrong amounts of materials, and I still don't know exactly why. The funniest part is that I have to use an Excel document to calculate the values for hoppers and thermo-sensors

That won't work because the iron will come out as soon as it melts before it becomes steel.

By the way Greg, the other thing you still need a crucible for is carborundum... no mixer recipe for that either. You going to put that into the blast furnace some day too?

• Oh, and why is a wrench not one of the tools in the multi-tool? That is the most commonly used tool, with the wire cutter and screwdriver after that. The scissors, file, saw, and knife are used much less, especially in world ( as opposed to in a crafting table ). In fact, I don't think I have ever used a file, saw, or knife in world. Well I guess I used a knife early on for cutting grass, but I can't see using a multi-tool for that. Because of this I have never seen the use in making a multi-tool. Especially since most of those tools that are really only used in a crafting table are often used in conjunction with another one, so you may as well just keep the normal tools in your crafting workbench and use each as needed rather than make a multi-tool.

• Is the Smelter the only automated way to turn a solid metal item to a liquid in a pipe or tank?

You can pipe fluids into a mold just fine. But what about the other way around? Do you have to manually use ceramic jugs + funnels to put liquid metal in a pipe?

One jug can hold 13 ingots and 8 nuggets of molten iron that won't cool down, which is handy, but manual.

So:

Fluid -> item is easy.
    Item -> fluid can only be done with a Smelter?

• The smelter can turn solids into molten fluids. The mixer can turn most molten fluids into molten alloys, which you can then output into a mold to turn back into items ( ingots/plates/etc ). The problem points are steel and carborundum, because those involve carbon, and the smelter can not melt carbon into molten fluid, so you can't mix it to make carbon containing alloys; i.e. steel and carborundum.

• Oh, and why is a wrench not one of the tools in the multi-tool? That is the most commonly used tool, with the wire cutter and screwdriver after that. The scissors, file, saw, and knife are used much less, especially in world ( as opposed to in a crafting table ). In fact, I don't think I have ever used a file, saw, or knife in world. Well I guess I used a knife early on for cutting grass, but I can't see using a multi-tool for that. Because of this I have never seen the use in making a multi-tool. Especially since most of those tools that are really only used in a crafting table are often used in conjunction with another one, so you may as well just keep the normal tools in your crafting workbench and use each as needed rather than make a multi-tool.

Because the Electric Wrench has a Monkey Wrench Mode, and because the Wrench is way too big to fit into a Swiss Army Knife.

And yes Steel and Carborundum are only in Crucible. That is not much of a Problem if you were not trying to avoid the Crucible at all cost. :P

GregTech Website