[Question] IC2 & RedPower interaction

• Minecraft 1.1.0 SMP
    BC 2.2.12
    IC2 1.71
    RedPower 2.0pr4
    Forestry 1.2.6.6

I have an automatic cobblegen/recycler system using redpower for logistics and rate control. The issue I'm having is that when I log out from the server, it seems the IC2 machines stop processing things while the RedPower stuff keeps going. This leads to machines getting filled with items without using them. When I log back in, the materials start getting used but the generators use up more materials than I intended. I've set things up to rate limit everything so that the process is tied together without waste. This means that the generator fuel is fed in at a specific rate to match the energy use by the recyclers.

My first thought was, How do I disable the RedPower system when the IC2 system stops? (Is this even the right question?) I think this is due to how the mods work after chunk unloading and have been working unsuccessfully trying to detect such a thing so I can use it to disable/enable the RedPower setup when the IC2 stuff stops/starts working.

(I realize this may not be the right place for this sort of question. Out of my options, it seems the best choice. If you know a better place to ask this sort of question, I'd like to hear that to.)