[GregTech] Why does my stupid-simple thorium breeder pulse off/on forever?

• Probably a terribly dumb question, but...

Not sure what version of GregTech I'm using; it's whatever is currently bundled in Feed-The-Beast Ultimate 1.5.2 beta 0.7. There's nothing in the console log that says what version it is, alas.

So, I'm trying to run the stupidly-simple breeder reactor that I've seen mentioned here: one thorium cell surrounded by four near-depleted uranium cells, with one OC heat vent tucked off in the corner to keep the reactor stable. Now, allegedly this breeder will re-enrich about 20 uranium cells over the course of its run-time. HOWEVER, what I'm seeing in practice is that the reactor is pulsing off and on by itself [edit: on about a 5-second cycle; 1 second on, 4 off, repeat], despite having a constant redstone signal applied, and doesn't seem to be making any progress on the breeding front.

What am I missing and/or misunderstanding?

• Recently, the Thorium Cells in Gregtech have been changed to pulse once every 5 reactor pulses, and plutonium twice per pulse. Reason being, something with the IC2 Reactor code-stuffs, that caused the previous setup with each having their own pulse per seconds, and its own EU output/Heat output, to become broken.
    However, in theory, the cells will still output the same heat/energy as before the change, they just pulse differently. I do not know how that affects breeder reactors, but I would recommend Plutonium, because in theory, it pulses more than any other reactor fuel.