Posts by inwerno

baturinsky, you see me speechless. May I reward you the honorary medal of HAYO (which originally is not mine to give, but I stole the blueprints and made a copy out of UU-Matter, so anyways). This is so frickin' awesome! :D

EDIT:

Hey, but I got another idea: your problem with fine-tuning was because the mining wells should not extend beyond the filler area and the filler should not run out of work, right? If you're using the portal gun mod you could give the wells plenty of energy, but shut them off once their pipes reach a certain length, using the thermal discouragement beam emitter + catcher from portalgun to detect this. Might be easier? I'm itching to use the discouragement beam to detect something but haven't found a good application yet ^^

Hmmm. My system works a bit differently, I keep a chest stacked with the necessary uranium + depleted cells near the reactor (chest gets refilled by supplier + my main logipipe crafting grid), and the reactor has its own logipipe system (provider at this chest, supplier + chassi with extractor at reactor, base logipipe routing the extracted reenriched + neardepleted cells through an iron pipe back into the main system). Don't know if this is just an unintentional workaround for the same bug, though (and if, how this should help).

But, I've got an idea. Where on your reactor do you have your supplier positioned, exactly? Next to two reactor chambers? If the supplier connects to two reactor sides at the same time, I could totally see this supplier detecting two connected inventories missing 4 cells each and requesting 8 cells, not knowing that it detects the same inventory twice...

If the problem was the item damage code, your supplier should detect missing depleted cells as soon as a depleted cell got one single tick, not after the cells have been re-enriched (as you described)... and now that I think of this I seem to remember I got the same problem before I got this one figured out...

Let's hope I'm right ^^

TheBard & SSD (yes, i mean your posts about one week ago)

AFAIK Logistic Pipes fully support Breeders. I've been using them to keep my Breeder filled by using a simple supplier to supply Uranium and Depleted Isotope Cells and an advanced extractor module MkII to pull re-enriched and nearly-depleted cells out for some time now, works like a charm. Without any fancy gate-tricks, fairly straightforward. I'm using IC2 1.107 beta (worked with 1.106 before) and the logipipe 0.5.1 prerelease 11 atm. But I've done this ... erm... since... earlier ^^ using just advanced wooden pipes (additionalpipes BC addon) + redstone engine to pull used cells out + supplier to refill, when there were no advanced extractor modules.

Also, might I direct your attention to my reactor design from this post, especially designed to provide a fully automatic self-breeding hybrid, with the additional safety of not melting any components and designing a shiny smoking new crater if the Uranium and Isotope cells ever get mixed up during autorefill (Because, you never know, you know?).

Hey SSD, very nice setup. Sorry for not replying earlier... I've got absoultely no idea why your machine doesn't put out the calculated energy, though. I did a test setup with a LP boiler running charcoal, and got out 180 Eu/tick, as advertised. But if you just wanted to build something like this for power production, you could simplify (and save resources) greatly:

use just one transformer, pipe the BC power in using gold pipes,

use a BC pump instead of the water tanks, run this one by supplying it some power via power pipe from the steam engines.

Just built one of these in creative. Giving about 360 Eu atm, refilling itself with coal from UUM, now I've got to wail till the boilers are hot, meh. Took me about 50 minutes :D Will post screenshots later ^^

The scaffold idea is of course very good, but you would need some kind of automatic wood farm for that to work best. If you've got forestry, for example, you can burn peat...

Well, I think overpoweredness-discussions are pretty much moot. If you've got the resources to build even a small reactor you've got more power then you'll ever need (at least in my case). In my current survival map I went as usual generator -> wind + geothermal -> nuclear (go hybrids!) ... and since then I added steam and now I'm building biomass (just installed forestry) but everything after nuclear is just for the fun of it, I've had more than enough power (and UUM) since I went nuclear. But I take my time for building nice houses around my machines, so my massfab has a lot of time... ^^ So, I guess OP-ness only matters if it's easier to build then a small reactor. And all the steel for the steam-variant here takes time because of the blast furnace. So, screw the math, this seems balanced ;)

EDIT: The setup i was speaking of seems to work really well, but without scrap it's not generating a huge energy surplus, but it's running infinitely, just as SSDs, generating creosote in the meantime. A tad more effective, using 2 LP boilers and just one generator... but I'm getting very very bored now waiting for the damn thing to heat, so I won't post screenshots. I highly doubt anyone would be interested, anyway. ^^ Using forestry and wood or peat to burn is much more effective, so it's just a proof of concept.

This would have been easier if there was a common powerplant between them that could be based of of the same technology, such as a photovoltaic array so we would have a common value..

The steam/stirling engine vs the generator burning coal comes to mind, since RL coal power plants also burn coal to vaporize water and turn turbines with the steam.
    The 2:5 ratio is based on exactly this comparison, and that's the ratio that makes BC + transformer based power generation so powerful.

On the other hand there's RC's hobbyists steam engine, which is much more effective burning coal than the stirling, and should essentially be using the same technology...

While certainly interesting, I don't think your comparison to RL machines does much good here, honestly. Compared to RL values, you get too much energy from solar, too few from geothermal and far too few from nuclear. The scales just aren't comparable.

Maybe its because there is many people that doesn't like lossless conversion (even real life hate it)

Erm...

3:4 is as lossless as 1:1 or 2:5. Meaning: you can convert it back and forth without losses inherent in the conversion. It's just the relative value of EU and MJ that change with the ratio.

EDIT:

I'll be going with 1:1 for a while.
    This nerfs the buildcraft-based power generation even more, it's balanced on the worth of a bucket of lava (geothermal vs transformed stirling/combustion engine), and I like the scale of "what you can do with the energy" - powering a RC rolling machine with 15 MJ nets about the same processing speed as a macerator with 4 overclockers... which uses about 15 EU. Feels comparable.

It has always bugged me how the buildcraft-based machines used huge amounts of electricity, and since I'm atm building a steam-powered rail factory I can feed the leftover steam into transformers without feeling like a cheater :)

Do you have en estimation how long the rotor might last? RC wiki speaks of "several RL days", and it costs 99 steel... per 24 hours you could generate about 170 million EU with it. The iron alone would cost 124 UUM, though. I estimate it will still be a perpetuum mobile, but not that much.

Well, unless you massively amplify the massfab using scrap, of course. But feeding a system tons of cobble can't really be called a perpetuum mobile. The real exploit there are the cobblegens.

Just finished some testing too. The calculations are correct, at maximum heat I got 1.15 million EU from 16 charcoal (using the transformers mod for conversion)

...which means you get about 7 million EU out of 24 coal. This is a massive perpetuum mobile even without scrap.

IMHO the problem lies with the 2:5 conversion ratio from the BC/IC crossover mods. Buckets of BC fuel can generate huge amounts of EU too, this just isn't too bad since oil is limited. Maybe the conversion ratio should be closer to 1:1.

I've just done some math on RC's steam boiler and came out with some pretty interesting numbers...

RC's wiki gave me the formulas I used, haven't tested this yet:

Assuming a maximum efficiency boiler (36 m³ LP) you get 3.96 fuel usage/tick at maximum heat.
    These are heat units, right? So charcoal (1600 heat) will last 404 ticks, producing 360 steam per tick (according to the RC wiki).
    5 steam equate 1MJ or 2.5 EU via Transformer.

So the boiler will deliver 180 EU/Tick, and about 72700 EU per charcoal. One stack of charcoal should generate about 4.6 million EU.

Using coal coke, which has a heat value of 6400 now, quadruples the result. One coal coke = 290k EU, one stack = 18.6 million EU. Instead of compressing 64 coal into one diamond, you could generate UU even without scrap, craft two diamonds from UU and still have some energy left ;)

And that's using steam engines and transformers, the Turbine has even better efficiency than these. The investments in this infrastructure will surely be massive, but it seems to be highly efficient.
    Anyone wants to do some testing? :D

Bonus: a power plant built this way should look wicked 8)

On his websiteit says the current version should support IC2 1.106 macerators.

GenerateNetherOres by Lordmau5 seems to have removed tin & copper generation in the current version, according to the postin the MC-Forums.

Are you sure you're not confusing these? I don't want to bug him just because I'm too stupid to get this to work... ;)

This design looks very nice indeed. :)

But consider this:

9 Lapis cost 4 UUM and cool for 40k each. 1 UUM is one million EU / 6 for scrap amplification.

So, at best, you cool for 1,85 EU/heat.

Now the efficiency depends on your reactor design. Using chains of quad cells as shown you get efficiency around 5.

One quad cell at efficiency 5 produces 100 EU/Tick at 240 heat/second, using 22.22 EU/tick for cooling (77.78% left) - which makes an overall efficiency of 3.88.

If you put just one LZH condenser next to each quad cell you get them to efficiency 6, then they each give 120 EU/Tick at 336 heat/second, using 31.11 EU/tick for cooling. 74.07% of the EU left, overall efficiency 4.44.

Considering you can get efficiency 4 by putting two quad cells next to each other, and efficiency 4.5 by surrounding a quad cell with single cells, both of which can be cooled in a non-CASUC-way... your reactor certainly generates one huge amount of EU/tick, but it's not as efficient as the old CASUCs.

So, judge for yourself if you think it's worth it.

P.S. Woah, I just did another quick calculation... generating the scrap is much more expensive than I first thought. Even with non-overclocked recyclers you use about 72k EU to generate the scrap for 1 UU-Matter, getting the base cooling cost of this system up to 2.65 EU/heat! Diminishing efficiency by another 10%... :S

This brings the overall efficiency of your design down to 3.4 (68.18%), and the variant with one condenser per quad cell to 3.77 (62.87%) once you start generating your own scrap.

Using non-overclocked recyclers. Woah again.

Okay, it seems that while your design is a good proof of concept, it's definitely not worth it. Sorry to say so...

EDIT: Miscalculated this.

I think the time is just random.

If the trees never seem to grow: might be a space issue. It seems to me that they need 2 blocks of space around them (I plant them 2 apart), except for the layer of the sapling (like a birch tree). If you plant on a hillside, tall grass or flowers can stick into the area and hinder the growth. At least this has happened to me some times.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to discuss such things, but it seemed my best guess. This thread is not meant to bugger anyone IC2-related for help, more to find out if anyone else is having that issue:

I'm using Minecraft 1.3.2 with the IC2 beta 1.107 at the moment, and I wanted to add NetherOres (TehKrush's Nether Ores, maintained by AtomicStryker). But NetherOres 1.3.2 version doesn't generate Copper and Tin for me, and the macerator recipes are not added. So I guess it doesn't detect IC2. And it didn't work for IC2 1.106 before either (which it should, according to AtomicStryker's description).

So, my question: did anyone of you get these to work together?

RockRaiderZulu: The 6-chamber-unit isn't a Mark II either, I think the Planner just calculates a time to cool down to zero. Once at the temp of the heating cells the reactor can run continously. Set the planner to the corresponding temperature and it will be named a Mark I.

As for the size and the containment... I myself never built a containment, and just managed to blow up my base once by applying EV to a mass fab :D
    Don't know if this is more of an issue on multiplayer servers, though.

The 6-chamber-unit might blow up by auto-refilling it with uranium when a uranium cell gets placed at the position of an isotope cell, thus melting the components. To fix this, I gave the planner another go and came up with this one:

Meet the Marathon III, 9-cell-hybrid:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…lsdkss7r58jeo4ciz6t5057bf

As with the Marathon II, add more heat cells and copper plating for more breeding. And if uranium and isotope cells are mixed up in this one it won't blow up. Looks like I won't build containment this time either. ;)

If you don't want this safety measure, you can simplify the design a bit:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…6lzotzkqj35k51epekb98hw0b

But I don't understand why this one should only breed 8 cells according to the planner... ah well, I'll test it.

P.S. OCD friendly. Heat matches cooling. 8)

Nice :D I think one might even be able to put more plating and heating in there. But I didn't build it as a dedicated Breeder, more as a moderately efficient reactor, which happens to breed its own cells ;)

If you run this one continuously you can also omit one of the heating cell stacks, lowering the costs. They're essentially just there for helping with the cold start and forgetful reactor operators.

Also, i browsed the "list of good designs" some more and found similar (and probably better) hybrid designs in there. So this might be somewhat obsolete.

Either way, I didn't claim that these are "the best designs ever", so it's all fine ;)

Hello fellow nuclear engineers,

When I upgraded to Minecraft 1.3.2 and the new IC2 reactor system, I was unsatisfied with the reactor builds posted here. I wanted to start a new world SSP, and they all seemed so... unbalanced. I found resource-eating powerhouses, and very highpowered breeders, most of it full with quad-cells and neutron reflectors... all not to my liking. Although maybe i didn't look enough :)

My reactor design should be:

-cheap (mainly diamond-wise)
    -not burning metals (no quad cells, no reflectors)
    -fairly efficient
    ...and should not require too much management on my part.

Since it's quite efficient to separate the uranium from the cooling components nowadays, stuffing the separation space with depleted isotopes came naturally...

so, here are the designs I came up with:

The Marathon I:

A very small self-sustaining reactor. It's a cold breeder which comes out with 60 Eu-Tick at 3 efficiency, and is very much fire-and-forget. Stuff it with cells and walk away. After a cycle, you got your new cells ready. No extra breeder needed, and I think i got the design pretty cost-efficient.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…bgxpc7dnmzbgwsdyv155j4m4g

I designed it, but did not use it in my game. I tried to do a bigger version of it, which is what I ended up using finally:

The Marathon II:

A full 6-chamber self-breeding reactor. It runs on 8 single cells outputting 140 EU at 3,5 efficiency. From a cold start you can easily breed the 8 cells for the next cycle in it, but you have to change the breeding cells mid-cycle.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…g0doyzlg1zbe5qlctf83f7pj4

I'm running a slightly overclocked version using stacks of 10 heating cells and copper reactor plating, because I noticed too late that you don't need them (at least the copper plating helps not to get me radiated). This gives me a nice surplus of re-enriched cells. Changing the cells is no hassle with buildcraft and logisticpipes, and I will try auto-refilling it with uranium cells too, but I'm going to put it into a nice case of reinforced stone first, just in case . :D

So, I thought they might be worth a share since I registered here anyways... ;)

Have fun, and maybe gimme some feedback :thumbup:

Hi, i'm new here and everything. Long time lurker, yadda yadda. But i think i found a bug, so that got me out behind the trees... ;)

It seems that you can't place levers on transformers anymore. Worked fine in 1.106 SSP, but since I'm running the latest beta build I can't place new ones, and old ones already placed pop off when I trigger them.

I cleaned up my installation a bit to eliminate influences by other mods (don't know if that's even possible, but hey...) and tested with different IC2 versions.
    (Minecraft 1.3.2, Forge Build 303, Optifine B3, CodeChickenCore + NEI 1.4.0.4, Rei's Minimap and of course IC2)

1.106 - Levers work as usual.
    1.107.35 - Levers pop off and can't be placed.

Can anyone confirm this?