Posts by roddy

I've got no idea how MOX works XD.I only know that it's better if it's hot, I would have to look up how to make it, and building something that can perfectly hold the temperature is probably quite hard. anyway, you can get 18M EU/cycle, which is like, 20k seconds? that would be half an hour. and you can do it indefinitely.

I use this with dual MOX cells for 700 EU/t, total 140 MEU per 10000s cycle. 8 cells takes 110 mB of UUmatter, meaning a net gain of 30 MEU or 30 UUmatter depending on your preference. Do bear in mind if you want to use it with regular Uranium cells, it is a Mk II-E and will blow up just before 20000s. To avoid this, either give it some mid-cycle cooldown time or uprate one more of the heat vents to advanced.

^^

Yah, sorry for the one-liner, allow me to elaborate. It is actually very possible to run such a setup and generate positive returns with either Uranium or MOX reactors, depending on the efficiency of the reactor.

Uranium cells can be recycled through the Thermal Centrifuge into a new cell, requiring just 3 small U235 nuggets and 2 big U238 nuggets. That can be produced in the replicator at a cost of 4.65 mB of UUmatter, which even without scrap requires just 4.65 MEU of power in the Mass Fabricator. This means that the break-even point is an efficiency of 2.325 at 2 MEU per cell for Uranium setups, which is very easy to hit. This does not take into account either scrap effects or single use cooling costs, since those are harder to quantify.

Also, Uranium cycles produce tiny amounts of plutonium which are not required to keep the process going, and will eventually allow you to use MOX to do this. The numbers for MOX are 13.78 mB of UUmatter per recycled cell, and 13.78 efficiency at 1MEU per cell, also very easy to hit with MOX. Anyway, all this is not related to the original question, just sharing some ideas around... :D

Greetings all! Here's the spec for my working reactor from my SSP world, which I like, and I hope someone else finds useful.
    Mk I EA - 165 EU/tick

The reason I made it was because I wanted to have only one reactor but I wanted it to breed, to save my limited ore supply. I also wanted it to run full cycle instead of needing my attention regularly. For some reason I couldn't find any designs out there for reactors which run full cycle and breed only enough cells for the next run, so I had to figure it out myself. So that's my story, and if anyone is interested in the idea, I have some smaller versions as well (for when I didn't have so much gold and stuff).

Cheers! :D