Posts by LANMind

I just came to add my support for a geiger counter. The idea that it is OP is just wrong - not having it just forces me to strip mine the landscape. Since that makes it ugly...

Now, if you want to talk about OP, I think the way we acquire uranium ingots is. That is what should be a lot harder, perhaps having to process tons of rock (read: stacks of cobble) to get them.

Just my two cents. If it never happens, so be it - I'll just keep strip mining, which provides me with lots of other resources :)

Minimum size safe shield is a 7x7 casing of reinforced stone...

I've built reactors that cost over 2000 copper. Not including shielding (see above).

Minimum size safe shield is a 7x7 casing of reinforced stone...

I've built reactors that cost over 2000 copper. Not including shielding (see above).

1. This may be a matter of semantics. I think of the reactor as the device, and the structure around it as a containment housing, so when I say that the reactor should be larger - maybe 3x3x3 - I'm taking about the thing itself. It's particularly small when compared to other multiblock structures from other mods, and truthfully, these devices are relatively small IRL, but they also have tons of shielding. It's a frikken nuclear reaction :O

3. When I say that the recipes should be more expensive, I mean required ores should be more advanced, and the processing should require more steps - maybe even a bigger crafting table. This would make it more realistic, yet balanced. Fuel pellets in nuclear subs last for a couple of years, I think, which is awesome, but then again, you can't just run down to the corner drug store and pick up a kilo of plutonium. (Bonus points if you recall the reference)

Maybe it this could be controlled by config switches. I don't want to spend my time maintaining a half a dozen reactors - I want to make it, use it, automate it, but that's because I don't see the reactor as the end goal. Maybe a lot of folks just want to build 10 of them and keep them up and running.

I'm replying more to keep an eye on this thread, but I think in general, reactors, should

1. be an order of magnitude larger without increasing the slots, to account for shielding.
    2. require cooling towers
    3. the recipies sould be waaay more expensive
    4. last a lot longer and output more EU. When I run 420EU/tick, I have trouble running 15-20 machines. Some are power hogs, but really, it shouldn't be an issue for a nuclear reactor.
    5. Uranium should be a lot more rare
    6. when they blow, permanently irradiate the area that can even overcome the hazmat suit. I live 90 miles from TMI, and there are still buildings there no human can enter. This adds some balance, but makes sure people take care of them - else learn an expensive lesson.
    7. lastly: this could/should probably be its own suggestion, but fits with the rest. create a new tileable block that looks like four pipes in a square, but varying sizes.It is placed touching the reactor or a chamber, and blocks are placed to the outside of the containment shell. The shell would either have no door, or it would almost always be unused. the four pipes would be:

a) carries the redstone signal
    b) carries the EU out
    c) carries the signal for an information panel, and
    d) has a new block that would support automating the configuration of the reactor and facilitating moving the parts fuel in and out.

@op :Machines could have a tooltip displaying the maximum packet size they accept (without upgrades) as GregTech machines does.

I could edit my texture pack, but that would only solve my problem, not anyone else's, and I'm all about fixing root causes. I think the tooltip idea makes sense.

Thanks

Here's a super simple suggestion: show the EU requirement/maximum numbers in the GUI's of the various machines. Every time I go to use one I haven't done much with I have to go look it up. There have been a couple time when I got it wrong - thinking I had remembered the max number - and ended up destroying a bunch of stuff. The last time it happened was because I tried to hook up a recycler and a mass fabricator on the same line (I'm not sure that it makes sense to have separate voltages for these two anyway). Not only did it destroy my recycler, but the explosing took out my mass fabriactor :(

I think it just makes sense to have the numbers available in game. It's not like you would attempt it in real life without knowing, right?

Thanks, and thanks for a great mod.