Posts by amasone

guys thanks for the response. This actually gives me good discussion material that works with my existing treatment protocols.

1. difference between collaboration vs competition - ie how to build in a system and avoid redundancy. why is redundancy bad/good/nuetral? (i have my answer I want to hear theirs).
    2. How does this effect interpersonal relationships? (counseling stuff). can you foster relationships an emphasis on collaboration...or competition...or both?
    3. taking the constructive criticism offered how could they use this to build their idea and not abandon it.

as long as its ok, I am gonna update this weekly with the kids responses to any constructive criticism and see were this takes them.

Gonna check out modular power suits as well!

Intro:

I should start by saying I have no idea how to code. I am a Developmental Counselor (MA/LPC) that uses this minecraft mod as a tool for working with kids diagnosed autistic or other developmental disorders (PDD, Asperger’s...until the DSM V comes out that is). This mod in particular has been a great GREAT tool in teaching kids effective processes for order and operational skills. Many of the kids I work with are non-verbal and use Minecraft as a means of communicating with me events of the day and processing their feelings. Furthermore, a tremendous amount of these kids are undiagnosed co-morbid having anxiety/depression as secondary (contrary to pop culture’s reliance of ADHD) and building/constructing is a great tool to utilize as a means of coping.

That said the number one thing missing from Minecraft, from our perspective is a mod dedicated to the evolution of Steve. The kids I work with ask...in so many words...why the world around steve changes yet he stays the same. So we came up with a plan to present to you guys (seeing as this mod is hands down their favorite) a mod idea based around steves transformation - cyborg steve

Conclusion
    Above are the beginning phases of development of this mod concept. I am unsure if it will ever actually be made because…
    1. I have limited mod skills and frankly am intimidated by the idea, I do not have an aversion to learning…but do not even know where to begin
    2. The kids and I get together just too infrequently (1 time a week)
    3. Only 2 of them have any JAVA knowledge. They are 8th -11th graders . They listen and have developed a great rapport to me but is it even a good usage of our time to engage in this?
    However we enjoy talking about this idea and I wanted to present it too you guys so if anyone was motivated they could run with it. Also if you would like to share insights or dialogue with the group I will throw your ideas at them and see how they react.

Thanks for reading,

Anthony