Posts by MindCaged

Uhm, we can already send 2048 packets, it's called a HV transformer that's redstoned. Over HV x4 cable. The batteries can't take that current though, so it's got to be converted down again. I don't know, unless you could hook up four MFSUs on the line at the other end. Before connecting it to power though, as less than 4 would likely blow up. I'm not even sure if it'd work.

Anyway, you could just place a LV transformer every 4 blocks of copper cable. Although that'd get tedious and expensive, but oh well.

For those new to it, which only recently included me. At first glance each upgrade in cable seems to reduce efficiency, but this is misleading. Higher voltage cables may lose EU twice as fast, but they carry 4 times more energy, so they're actually twice as efficient as the lower voltage cable. So gold cable is twice as efficient as copper, provided that a full 128 EU packet is sent. So HV cable would be 4 times as efficient with 512 EU per packet, or actually like 16 times more efficient than copper as long as you use redstoned transformers to bump it all the way up to EV(Extreme Voltage) at 2048 EU per packet.(HV cable can actually handle up to 2048 EU packets) This is what the HV transformer is for. Glass fiber can only handle 512 EU packets, but it's the most efficient of all, but really expensive.

Hmm, how would you conceal the projector itself? Will it take on the form of the block you put in it and it is projecting? Or would you need to cover it with blocks? I assume it would be directional and project the image from its "face".

Not impossible to implement, using tile data to store the number. Although couldn't they just break it, and place a button, or break it and replace it, then reset the code? Also, I wonder if this would be more appropriate for redpower or some other redstone mod, as industrialcraft seems more about machines that use electricity.

Hmm, part of me thinks this would be great, as these mods seem to work extremely well together, and I agree the overlap is really annoying.

At the very least, like some have said, I do wish they would if not completely merge their mods, then at least take the basic items that they share and don't have any mod dependent code like the ores, and make a seperate mod plugin. They all need forge at the moment, so requiring another mod that only contains the ores they share and whose behavior is identical would be a good thing, also it should be extremely easy to update the ores alone between versions, so having them as a dependency is not a big issue. Since the only use of the ores is to craft things out of them, and since adding new crafting recipes does not require modifying the code of the items it is made out of. This would be a simple and helpful measure.

Still, I do wish that they were more compatible with each other and you could use the power from one to power machines/engines in the other, and maybe use the piping system to pump lava directly into the geothermal generator, or water into the water generator.

Hmm, maybe you could use a sticky piston to maybe disconnect the magnetizer? I'm not sure if that'd work.

Darn it, just tested, it doesn't work. I wonder if cables use tile data.

OK, plan B. MFEs, batboxes, etc when redstone powered only emit current when full. Don't ask me why this would be a desired behavior, but that's the way they work. Perhaps it's a way to ensure that they have a charge. It seems more useful to me to simply have them either emit power or not, but oh well.

Anyway, here it is. If you power a transformer it upconverts instead of downconverts, I think theoretically you could hook two transformers together, connect the three sided sides of both, and power the side the power comes from. Thus the power will be upconverted and then downconveted. When you wish to cut power, you power the second transformer thus reversing the flow thus both transformers will be trying to send power to each others output side thus no power will flow. This would be so much easier if there was a redstone controlled power switch.

I also wish there was a kind of cable or something that would send a redstone signal when power is flowing through it(or not flowing through it for a certain amount of time). So you could for example set up an alarm when generators run out of fuel to go refuel them, or tell when a machine has finished working. Perhaps have the ability to set the minimum amount of power or something. For example induction furnaces I understand draw 1 EU when redstone powered to keep the heat up. Also, you could setup a daytime detector with a solar panel. I should really go put that in the suggestions section...

Edt: Never mind already exists as the Energy-O-Mat

What I mean is that it runs at the maximum possible speed it can to that tick. I'm pretty sure that for a relatively simple simulation such as this, my computer can go faster than about 5-10 ticks/second. Judging from the fact that I can run minecraft with a dozen mods, 32x textures, and smooth lighting at about 20 FPS, I should easily get faster speeds. I can also get it to go faster by spamming the step button.

Uhm, first of all, minecraft is written in java not javascript, there's a big difference in speed, and even java is considered pretty slow as programming languages are concerned. Also, it's already programmed to go as fast as it can, it uses the setInterval function to fire at the lowest possible delay being 1 millisecond. The only way I can think of to possibly improve the speed is maybe setting it up to run multiple ticks per cycle, and that's a maybe. Other than that it would need to be rewritten in another language and then it would either have to be a java applet or maybe shockwave flash to still run in a browser window, otherwise it'd have to be downloaded as a program.

Perhaps add a cycle speed setting, and a tick-number setting? So you can run it faster, or just jump to a specific tick. Also, later add an "Explosion Point" button that warps tells you the range on where your reactor can explode. If it's a MK I, then it will just say "Mark I"

And once you're done with that, make it say what MK it would be classified as.

Uhm, you do know that this is a simulator, it can't figure out a particular tick straight from the get go. It has to cycle through every single tick, and it's already processing as fast as it can. The only way I can think of to possibly make it run faster, would be to store everything in a data array, and not update the display every tick. Doing every thing in memory and shaving off the little bit of processing time it takes to display the results. I'm unsure of how much processing power this would actually save though. Other than that, the only way to make it run faster is to rewrite it in another language. And seeing as I haven't seen him reply to this topic since he posted it, I'm guessing somebody is going to have to take over his project eventually.

Okay, I'd just like to say awesome script. It is /EXTREMELY/ helpful, as you don't have to build dummy reactors and time them for how long they run before they blow a giant crater in your world. Although I agree with some others it could use some things if possible. I hope you are still working on it.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

1.) Water buckets and ice.
    2.) A stop/pause cycle button, or just hitting cycle again.
    3.) Something to automatically figure out what the maximum heat level is, so for a max chamber reaction without any plates, it'd be like 16,000, while a single chamber would be 10,000.
    4.) Using the above value, have it automatically record which tick of the cycle that the heat levels first hit both:
    4a.) 50 percent when it starts boiling surrounding water.
    4b.) 85 percent where meltdown can first occur.
    (These numbers come from the wiki, so I assume they're accurate.)
    5.) Perhaps have it automatically stop when it reaches 100 percent heat, when I assume meltdown will have definitely occurred by then, as it can't work if it no longer exists. This might need to be toggled though, I don't know if some people like to have it run continuously so they can tweak the design while it's live.
    6.) Have the option of having it run after all the uranium is used up so you can time how long it needs to cool down for.(Wait, can it already do this? Do I just need to hit cycle again? I'm not sure. Haven't tried it.)

Anyway, this is basically to get you some exact numbers. How long can you safely run it without meltdown? How much power can it generate per run cycle? How long does it take to cool down? etc.

If you're still working on this, I thank you for listening.