Posts by nOtime

absolutely agree to shadowclaimer on this one, wood is one of the most basic ressources. you cant go "well, we got steel, carbon fiber, n nano lasers, who needs wood then?" cuz minecraft doesn't suddenly turn into a sci-fi movie all of a sudden, when ic2 is installed. no, its just an addition to the world. an addition that is supposed to give the players a better
    taste of what the world actually has to offer. i think thats the main concept.

that does sound pretty nice, Shadowclaimer, but honestly, as far as i could understand from ur scheme, this would effectively give you a very fast infinite source of wood, which is not the point of industrialwood (thats what ill call this addition for shortness). wood should still be fairly hard to gather and if its an infinite automated mechanism, it should be much much slower than going to the woods and chopping trees and be expensive to maintain.
    In short:

fertilizer - dont think that'll work
    harvester - must be slow, really slow, alone because of the fact that you can manually fertilize and that would speed up the process way too drastically
    planter - shouldn't require redstone, maybe just plant when nothing's in the way?
    sawmill - thats how it should work, only produce 6 planks, 8 would be overkill. this machine should also be able to produce sticks out of planks, and wood pulp out of sticks or something
    pyrolysis - very nice idea though i would just let it burn planks and have 30% chance of success to produce charcoal, effectively giving 120% coal/log without sawmill and 180% coal/log with. thats just more balanced.

nice stuff so far, keep the ideas comin!

...right? so all i need is some kind of confirmation for me to start thinking this through and maybe design some recipes and such, can i have all ur guys participation on this one? give me ur aye or nay, ill make this a poll!

Alright, sorry i disappeared for a while there but now im back with the masterplan about this. MinecraftNotch
    I feel like wood can be a very interesting and useful ressource in the future, it could be compressed to higher tier wood plank types so its not too easy to have a lot of it, also this would lead to a more versatile gameplay: mining wouldnt be the only thing you have to do in order to get all the machinery. Doing the same thing all the time gets dull after a while MinecraftChicken , so this would bring new light into IC2 i feel.
    Also i kind of liked Bierhamster's idea of automatic wood gathering, only instead of chopping wood in an area i though of something like a plantation-ish machine that accepts saplings as a ressource, takes energy (,maybe light?, maybe water?) and depending on what u want to program it like, alblaka, it could either just output some wood (or rubberwood, if it was that sort of sapling) or actually grow a tree above itself and then actually harvest the tree. i like the first idea better though.
    On another note, to alblakas criticism against the need of larger amounts of wood: in real world usage, wood is a very useful building component and has good insulating properties, i think there is a lot u can adjust with wood ingredients in recipes for balance and new possibilities for wooden machinery are endless.
    I feel like nobody's gonna read this whole lot of text if i continue so im gonna stop here : D

So i've been playing ic and thinking how there really is a lack of later-tier machinery and even MFE units :MFE-Transmitter: are such a pain to get if youre not lucky enough to obtain alot of diamonds :Industrial Diamond: thru mining... and what struck my mind then, was that coal was the essential ressource to create industrial diamonds but to get coal you would have to mine alot of it naturally or roast a freaking forest :Coal Dust: which isnt that hard but still not the perfect thing... so what could solve all that? right! a damn lumbermill sort of thing, i mean hey, when u split log to 4 planks its like doing KARATE-CHOP KYAH! and then luckily gettin 4 even pieces, but wouldnt it be more reasonable to put it in a chainsaw equipped machine? or, for the purpose of diamond production, burn the log in a way that produces 2 coal dust instead of just 1? i'm trying to keep this quite theoretical, so please excuse me for not giving any exact recipes and stuff, but tell me what you think of it! thanks!