Posts by AnodeCathode

Bullshit, I've run a modpack and server with GT and a lot of other mods for a long time now. Balance was something that took effort but was well rewarded. In this case, the GT oregen just flat out does not work alongside CoG. I've done what I can to let GT do it's thing and save CoG to do what it does best. In the end I'll end up disabling all of the GT Oregen and recreate in CoG where I have control.

It seems like GT is becoming 'Better Than Wolves' an experience that doesn't tolerate any other mods outside of its creators vision. This is sad. If the answer to incompatibilities is 'you don't need that' than I say bullshit. I want it. I like my nether ores. Yes GT adds ores to the nether, but I like the way it's done by netherores and I intend to keep it. Once again I'll just have to disable the GT nether oregen and recreate with CoG.

I know this is the kool-aid stand, but the answer to every issue is not always 'just drink more of Greg's purple drink'.

Oh and the issue with HarvestCraft is not the Thaumcraft stuff, that I'm familiar with. It's that we get frequent 'Already Decorating' crashes that do not occur when it is CoG doing the Oregen.

Bah, on sober second thought I realize you were trying to be helpful. I apologize for letting my temporary frustration turn into a bit of a rant.

So how do you define the 16 custom ores to use in GT oregen. If that works I'd be reasonably happy. I do like the ability of CoG to regen chunks and adjust distributions on the fly though.

I'm looking at all of the GT ores and building templates to get them properly spawning in CoG is no small amount of work.

:

1. You have -XX:PermSize=256m twice.
    2. Setting a Max Perm Size is unneeded. It never even gets close to that value.
    3. Binding GC threads to different cores can be useful if you have some cores doing little.
    4. Using the new GC is a good idea, testing indicates that it really is worthwhile.

I'd hesitate to suggest anyone just throw a giant string into their startup script. Careful tuning and experimentation is the key to get the most out of your system. Also it may depend on resources available and what you are trying to accomplish.

Better to use custom ore generation via GT generation configs for your other mods.

Or use that PFAA (which has similar generation to GT) with CoG and make all PFAA way (also really good, because it takes in count all other ores - nearly all)

Well I really dislike the PFAA textures. CoG lets me do things that GT ore gen templates don't. I'll figure out a solution. I had them playing nicely in 1.6.4, just need to find the right settings so they aren't stomping on each other.

I love Gregtech's custom ore feature but 15 isn't enough, well it is without considering deep dark, and miners flatland. In other words in order to compensate for this as well as the crag and alps biome I feel 25 custom ore slots is much more appropriate.

Yes it works reasonably well, but I really like to use CustomOreGen so I can add biome types, custom distribution types, adjust all the values in game and regen to see the results. Having the wireframe to let you see your distributions sure is easier than stripping away the stone and dirt to see what's in a chunk.

Custom Ore Gen from noogenesis/lawremi? Probably because of Per Fabrica Ad Astra Geologica. GT disables its oregen if it detects PFAA.

I'm not running PFAA. Just CoG with customized templates. As I like the GT Oregen I was hoping to just leave its ores alone and let CoG just do the other mod ores. May have to build a template for GT and disable all of it's oregen. I suspect the conflict arises because both CoG and GT are trying to remove the vanilla ores.

Ah yes, also forgot that GT doesn't like Galacticraft recasting EntityClientPlayerMP.

That would be good to know, with my modpack (around 80 mods, child mods included)
    I need not more than 3 min, at max 3min 30sec , also on an SSD and I would say my PC is a bit more than average
    How many mods are you using?

Quite a few. Shows 195 at main menu.

Modlist: http://pastebin.com/usi95RVv

When I add GT and downshift IC2 to required version, startup time is about 5 minutes (realized 7 minutes was on the server which includes firing up all the plugins). I measure from clicking the Play button to main menu for easy consistent measurement. Currently I also have to remove Custom Ore Gen as GT and it do not seem to get along generating ores.

Really want GT on the next server, but it's becoming a trial.

So I successfully found a way to decrease Startup Lag (time from first appearance of Mojang Screen to Main Menu) from 1min53secs to 1min41secs, I don't know how this translates to slower Computers but it is better than nothing.

I'll be curious to see how that translates when running a lot of mods. Currently it's a 7 minute startup on a SSD with plenty of horsepower.

You don't need shutters on the sides where the boilers are attached, because Boilers cannot have Steam flow into them.

Only if you want to use the newest version of AE2, and Minecraft 1.7.10. There are still stable releases of AE2 for MC 1.7.2, released before the IC2 API changes.

Quoted from "AnodeCathode"
    So are we going to have to choose between AE2 and GT?

Only if you want to use the newest version of AE2, and Minecraft 1.7.10. There are still stable releases of AE2 for MC 1.7.2, released before the IC2 API changes.

You don't need shutters on the sides where the boilers are attached, because Boilers cannot have Steam flow into them.

Well MC 1.7.2 is not stable. AE2 versions for 1.7.2 are not complete, nor stable. So you're saying launch a server on a bunch of pre-release mods? Mods that you won't be able to update? Really I was looking for an answer from Gregorius.

So we are getting caught in the dependency web now. Applied Energistics 2 now has dropped support for 1.7.2 and set a minimum requirement for IC2 at 489.

From the changelogs:

Dropped Support for MC 1.7.2 ( Sorry APIs are making breaking changs from .2 Versions )
    Upgraded IC2 API to Match IC2 Experimental Build #489 ( minimum requirement if installed )

Any plans to work on the oredict processing bit at startup? It's a real turnoff for lots of folks to have a 5 minute pause in the startup cycle. Surely there must be some way to speed up this process or at least cache the data when nothing has changed.

well then tell him now you do know better and getting rid of mcpc+ is one of the first steps to play without problems.

That is such complete horseshit. MCPC+ does require more knowledge and configuration but to equate it with playing without problems is a complete pile.

The MCPC+ devs work to ensure that issues with it are resolved incredibly quickly. Most issues we run into continue to occur when testing on the pure forge test server. Of course, because of attitudes similar to yours, we do isolate the issue to pure forge server and the mods before reporting.

There are not mod replacements for all the plugins. Forge lacks a lot of the required hooks to even have that be the case. I run a large MCPC+ server with a lot of mods, and yes it takes more effort but is well worth it when you see what you get in return.