Posts by Derg

450 EU/t?! Mind linking me (or showing me on the reactor planner)? I haven't seen a Mk 1 go that high...

Edit: Because I haven't been looking at ones that cost horrifying amounts of copper for quads... Sheesh.

I would like to be able to have my storage blocks to have the ability to output a redstone signal at some significant fraction (1/2, 3/4, 9/10...) of their capacity. The reason I'd like this added is that I'm tired of EU being wasted in inefficient transfers...

Let's say we have the following setup:
    Nuclear Reactor -- MFSU -- MV Transformer (I couldn't find the correct smiley for it) -- LV Transformer -- Batbox -- Induction Furnace
    :Nuke TNT: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :LV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :Batbox: :Glass Fibre: :Induction Furnace:

Obviously a real setup might be more complicated, but in this situation and situations like it, the furnace draws from the batbox, and the MFSU sends out a huge packet to fill the 1 EU/t hole in the batbox, wasting a ton of energy. I may have my understanding of the system wrong, and if I do I sincerely hope someone will correct me on it. But if my understanding is correct, if the batbox was set to send out a redstone signal at 9/10 capacity, I could prevent the MFSU from sending a packet that wastes all that energy because it will always have extra space.

Alternatively, change the current system such that if storage units are set to "send a redstone signal when full" that they send a redstone signal when they are less than one packet (depending on the machine, of course) away from being full (so for a batbox, from capacity 39969 to 40000). This is similar to the current system where machines set to "send a redstone signal when empty" send their signal when (if I'm not mistaken) another tick of output would put them into negative EU.

EDIT: I just realized this won't work when transforming higher voltages down to lower voltages... In the system I have above the MFSU sends down 16 32-EU packets... If the batbox requests EU when it's a packet down, then you're wasting 15 of those 16 packets.

The only way I can really think of doing this without wasting EU ATM is to tell the MFSU to send EU when the batbox is empty, and the nuclear reactor to send EU when the MFSU is empty... But then you have no storage.

I look forward to the replies!

And you're right. The difference is that HV cable costs three refined iron (and nine rubber if you're feeling fancy) for twelve pieces, whereas glass fiber costs a whole diamond for every six pieces. Throwing down 16 diamonds for a 96-block long cable is a hell of a lot more expensive than 24 iron.