Posts by Cabletwitch

Ok, let's try this again... bloody unhelpful forum software doesn't quote the post being replied to, it seems...

So yes, the pumps in IC2 don't consider the flowing lava or water as actual resources since a fair few versions ago. This was done to prevent infinite lava being pumped into goethermal powerplants from a single lava block. Only static, non-flowing lava and water gets gathered, so the best thing to do (assuming you can get to the problem) is drop some sand into the flowing lava and let the miner drill through it. Should work fine after that.

As for the diamonds, could just be bad luck. You don't always find loads in random spots, it's possibly better to go hunting for them in caverns yourself. More fun that way too! :D

Oh dear. I guess humour isn't one of your strong skills, is it Tart? :rolleyes:

Really, if all you're after is an idiots guide to how to play the game, then try experimenting with that feature, log what you find, then write your own guide. Al is pretty much allowed to write whatever he feels like, given it's HIS mod, that HE spends his free time coding. If you're going to be less than gracious for what amounts to zero work on your behalf, then I'd seriously reconsider using the mod in future.

All in all, if you think you can do a better job, then go for it. Post your own guides. Just stop complaining about something when you have the option to make something better. I look forward to your contributions.

Hmm, I'm using the latest version on both my server and client, yet when I try to create an LV array, I get an end of stream error. Got IC2 1.95b, BC 2.2.1.4, Forestry 1.4.4.2 and Redpower 2 Pr5 also in the mix. Nothing conflicting, just that error on clicking the final product in the crafting window.

Any ideas?

Edit - SOLVED! Not sure why or how, but the server and the client had different block IDs set in their respective config files. I'm pretty damn sure I didn't change either of them, but given my propensity for forgetting important stuff, it might have happened. Panic over...

Given that the drill is already a shovel/pickaxe combo, and the chainsaw is both an axe AND a silly-stupid powerful sword equivilant, I'm not sure there really IS a need for additional combi-tools. Given that some (like the EU meter and the hoe) are tools for use in specific circumstances, you'd be better off stashing those in chests close to where you use them, thus not clutting inventory space.

If there are any more tools added, I'd wager that they'll have specific functions, and wouldn't benefit from being combined with anything else that currently exists. Either that, or it'll be a machine block, which really isn't portable in the truest sense of the word.

The closest I'd like to a combi-tool is combining the wrenches from IC2 and BC, then adding the functionality of the RP2 screwdriver. Alas, such cross-mod compatability is but a (waterproof/redstone/mag) pipe-dream.

Some of us have been here a long time and have low post counts becasue we dont feel the need to comment on everything.

Exactly, we're not ALL clones of FenixR ;)

As for the wiki complaints, Al probably wrote it himself, since that is his general writing style.
    He likes to inject a bit of humor and he likes to see people figure out how stuff works through playing so he is vague.
    And no, I don't know Al, this is just general observation.

Given the style, I'm fairly certain Al did write the first iteration, as well as many of the updates. I'd not remove any of the original text, merely re-arrange it so that flavour and info are seperate, as well as any other info is added or defined clearly. Given that a lot of form entries (Not so much here, oddly) tend to be along the lines of 'y u no relees new vershun nao? lol', I'd make damned sure that the wiki never ends up like that. Given that I'm writing this on a mobile phone (albeit an N900 with a proper keyboard), I'm still never one for shortcuts when real language does the job properly.

So yes. Preservation of style and content, just refined with minor layout changes would suffice. Nothing drastic at all.

Heh, long-time player of IC and IC2. It's been an essential part of my MC experience since I found it (back before 0.5 something (I don't have any of the earlier jars/archives, sadly)). I've been here lurking, but I generally tend not to post anything unless it's useful or important.

As for Al, I've had contact with him in the past, but admittedly nothing major. However, I'm willing to give something back (aside from already donating) and help improve things where I can. I'm no coder, artist or sound engineer. I figured that the Wiki could be something I could work on, since people seem to think it needs work, and updates don't always happen regularly enough. I'll give it a shot, and see what happens.

So yes, you won't know me, but then... When someone offers to help sort something no-one else seems to want to do, would you refuse?

Oh, and as for the products? Consider them to be blueprints for construction. A 'How To' kit. I'm sure I can get them sounding a little more belivable. Or maybe not. After all, it IS Alblakas' mod :D

I'll have a word with Al, and sort it out. Who knows, maybe I can get the alternate names for products and parts standardised across all the blurb, so it DOES make sense.

Personally, I think it adds a nice touch, as if the devices and items were from a product catalogue. It'll be better though if they were presented as excerpts as opposed to being blended in with the main article. I'll work on it.

Hey, opinion is opinion. The reason I hate all the HAYOs isn't because it sounds dumb, but because instead of putting actual information about an item in the wiki, the author wrote an 'advertisement' for it which does not serve to help anyone. What the f*** is the point of that?

Well yes, it's called flavour text, and it's harmless. It'd make more sense if you've ever played 'Monday Night Combat', and is Alblakas' choice to use it. Generally, the actual useful description and info is further down the page, but in some cases it IS a bit confusing.

I'm considering spending a fair bit of time in the near future learning how to edit the wiki, and if Alblaka/RichardG and whoever else agrees, I'm more than happy to re-write the articles and info to be more up-to-date. As part of the updates, I'll condense the flavour bumf into an 'intro' section on each page.

Looking forward to an updated version. Typically, just as I went to update to 1.2.3, I didn't realise the minor increment, and now nothing works. Plus, I've got issues with the server which is going to require a full-on reset, so I might as well wait until we have a proper 1.2.5 version out and about.

Cheers for all the work you guys have put into this, and look forward to the next increment! :thumbup:

Hah, this thread isfull of several kinds of crazy. where to begin?

Let's start with the design. Expensive, hell yes. But that's not exactly an issue in a mod where you can make just about anything for free (apart from the initial expenses of making the mass fab, cabling and solar/wind/water gens), given enough power and a mass fab. If you could make something like this from 2 sticks, some dirt and a cobble block, people would be screaming about how OP it was. At least with this, you have to work at it to get something worthwhile.

Before HeadHunter starts rambling on about EUs and breaking even again, I'm going to say right now that it doesn't matter. IC is all about the machines, be they realistic, futuristic, or just plain loopy. You don't have to use a mod if you think it's not feasable. If you're anything like me, you end up with loads of spare UUM, several MFSUs loaded with spare juice, and loads of BC mining rigs providing massive amounts of raw materials. 'Expensive' is relative, to me, the time spent making stuff is more valuable than the resources required.

Besides, it's a game! Have fun, damnit!