Posts by Elden

The seed sorting component of crop breeding is pretty frustrating for me. Because the cropnalyzer only works on seeds in your hotbar, there's a lot of fiddle just swapping seeds out between the hotbar and the inventory to get them all scanned. As you say, the lack of stats in the tooltip and the identical sprite for all seedbags means that if you don't keep careful track of your scanned seeds you'll get into all sorts of mess.

I presume it's a hurdle by design to pad out large scale crossbreeding. It's important that high-scoring hybrids are quite hard to breed or there'd be no satisfaction in agriculture. I respect the decision of the designers and the fact that nobody wants a 'win' button on their game, but I hope that Al or one of the team has tried using the system for a few hours themselves. ;)

So, some plants will die if not regularly fertilised? Is this only a problem for growing crops, or do higher tier crops need constant maintenance?

Are there ways of passively enriching the soil that we don't know about yet? With no feedback on the hydration/nutrients of a soil block, I don't know how to guess what's going on here. Thanks for the tip though!

I hope the final sprite for Trollweed is clearly obvious... I'm trying everything here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with %@#! Trollweed. An iron ore block?! Man, how was I supposed to figure that out?

Now I'm being trolled the same way as Ducant - One of my hard-earned trollweeds just vanished after I nurtured it with fertaliser, water and even put a bloody iron ore block under it.

I see how 'plant that gives iron requires iron ore' is logical, but from the perspective of us who are genuinely trying to breed the new plants legit, this is a bit far fetched. There's skill in carefully managed selective breeding (stickreed 10-3-5!) but I'll go mad if I have to test every soil block, light level, weather and what else on every new sapling!

Well, I've found a new plant, but I can't tell you much about it yet. I'm calling it Trollweed for now. It is clearly a new species, but it can't be harvested and drops no seeds!

I've grown this plant 3 times now by crossing stickreed with stickreed but have never got any seeds from it. I've been able to reproduce it by crossing itself in situ with more stickreed.

It's a pale green like reed, but starts looking a bit like flowers and matures into a small pale green shrub that looks a bit like marijuana stalks to me... 8| No screenshot for now, later hopefully.

I have cyazint, blackthorn, venomilia and stickreed so far. Based on the tiers given, I've been working on mass-crossing stickreed, venomilia and cocoa with each other and themselves to find new, higher tier crops. Cocoa seems to have the harshest restrictions on growing conditions and more often than not I can't replace it. (I'm working outside on a hydrated field in a moderate biome)

Either Trollweed has very low seed chance, or there's something I'm supposed to have worked out about how to grow it. GRR! All I can do for now is keep crossing it in situ and hope to evolve past this PITA plant.

My experience today was that I'd finally managed to cross-breed a new plant (tulip), but then I accidentally killed it because I tried to cropnalyze a nearby plant but missed the hitbox. Instead of returning the crop name, the cropnalyzer UI popped up and cancelled my crouch. The same happens with opening the inventory I believe. The stakes are higher with the only sample of a first-gen cross breed than with easily replantable vanilla game crops and it makes farming an anxious process for me. It doesn't help that it's not always clear which boxes one is standing on. Maybe I'm just thick but I often mis-estimate which block i've just ore-scanned.

I totally understand your position but maybe this will help you understand if people get frustrated with the fragility of plants. I'm hoping that once I get a few generations grown I can breed up their resistance so that I'm not wigging out every time I go to tend my crops.

Great work with the crop system though. I'm farming like crazy and I don't even rightly know why!

Theoretically, this could be done with a solar panel and an energy-o-mat. When it's light, the solar panel puts current into some circuit. If you hang the energy-o-mat off that circuit, it will power redstone.

The downside is that it's bulky and has to be exposed to the sky.

see: http://forum.industrial-craft.…1785&highlight=#post11785

It's different because it requires buildcraft to automate. Without buildcraft, you'd have to AFK at the cactus farm for 48 minutes, then shuffle 28 stacks (27 slots in main inv...) into a bank of recyclers for every diamond. A late game power rig will produce diamond faster automatically with mass fabricators.

We should not make IC unbalanced just because BC+IC is unbalanced.

awesome. well i will plan on a donation soon anyway. love this mod. hate to seem winey.

You didn't seem whiney to me, I'm just letting you know that the management unfortunately has a harsh policy on such questions. When I say 'whiney' I'm thinking of the nonsense that engulfs every minecraft forum when Team Mojangles misses a forecast release date of the base game.

might i inquire as to this being fixed in the next version. and if so what is the traditional update schedule? once weekly, on a weekday, whenever it is ready?typing on phone is slow and difficult.

Ooh... Because you're on your phone, you probably haven't noticed this post: http://forum.industrial-craft.…read&postID=2478&post2478

Asking for release dates = Ban
    Serious.
    No joke.
    Ask for any sort of release date, regardless for which part of IC² and you will be outright banned. No exceptions.
    We will tell you when you got to exspect a release date. Or we won't, then you'll just have to wait.

I like to think that this policy was written in bad temper after a ton of unwarranted harassment, and I hope you won't be banned in this case!

In my own attempt to answer your question, 'when it's ready' seems closest. A lot of people work on this mod basically unpaid for the fun of it, and it's not fun trying to meet deadlines. If they set any expectations, it can only go bad for them. People become ungrateful and whiny if you set expectations and then deliver your free, insanely fun mod a day or two late.

I love this design, but It seems it can't be wired to an mse without a 4EU/t loss if you don't throw in another 2 batbox near the middle for relay. Anyone has a better idea?

I'm using this design with 4x LV transformers and a MV transformer. I run 2m straight down from each batbox, put a LV tx there, and then run the MV cables together before hitting 1 MV transformer. Power is transmittted away from the flower as HV.

I think for less cost and increased loss, you could run all 4 batboxes into a single LV tx, but it would be more than 5m from the batbox. I think if you can build a buttload of solar panels, you can afford 4 LV tx.

The EU losses for all cables are in the 'cable' entry of the wiki. http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Cable

The rules for getting the best effiency are pretty simple though:

1) Use the lowest cable capable of carrying your voltage: (edits - thanks sirbrandino!)
    LV - Copper
    MV - Gold
    HV - Glass if you can afford, otherwise Iron
    EV - Iron

2) Insulate as much as possible. That's 1x for copper, 2x for gold and 4x for iron

3) Use the highest voltage available to you for distances. If you can afford it, use 2x HV transformers and 4x insulated cable for long distance. If not, use 2x MV transformers and 4x insulated iron cable.

The reason behind these principles is that even though higher end cables have higher losses, transmitting in the next higher voltage will reduce the number of 'pulses' which are attenuated.

The 'progress' % should tick up slowly if it's powered correctly. If you replace it with an MFE/MFS, does that box start charging? If not, you're not getting power to the mass fab.

If you put a scrap in the bottom slot, does it start making an annoying noise which instantly makes you want to smash it? I'm not sure if it needs to be powered to make that noise, I just wanted to complain.

FWIW, I had a config where I butted it up directly against a transformer, and although it showed a red bolt in the interface, it wasn't working. I moved it to have 1x cable, and it ran fine. Not sure if the 'power' indicator in the interface works properly.

The last MFSU will fill up, then output excess power to the mass fabricator. The other MFSU's in line will stay empty.

If you want them all to fill up before powering the mass fab, then put a switch on the side of each one. If the switch is thrown down, they'll fill up before trickling excess power down the line. If you want to dump the stored power, just throw the switch.

You can use a transformer, placed to transform up, to switch the mass fab with redstone. I have MV circuit into an MV tx, so that when it's 'on' it outputs HV to the mass fab, and off it cuts the circuit.

Another option is to 'choke' your mass fab with a step-down transformer - if you have, say, 64EU/t generation coming into the circuit, you could put a redstoned LV tx before your mass fab, restricting it to drawing only 32EU/t from your grid. That should stop it drawing more than half your power input, no matter what.

I have a concept in mind for a system which uses an energy-o-mat to switch a tx and enable my mass fab when there's power coming in from my solar arrays. When there's current coming in, enable the energy-o-mat, at night, disconnect it again. Haven't built one yet, so YMMV

If there's one or two blocks of ore at the bottom of a shaft, the OV scan result should increase as you go down, as it reads the ore value density, not the total ore value.

From the wiki* : ValueOfArea = 1000*TotalValue/TotalBlocksScanned, where TotalValue is the sum of all the values for the detected resources, and TotalBlocksScanned is the total amount of blocks below the player. In this case, it is equal to 81x scan height.

So, with only 1 diamond hidden in the bedrock, at sea level height 64, you'll see a score like 1000*5/81*64 = 5000/5184 = 1. At Y=32, that will read again at 5000/2592 = 2, and at Y=8, the score will rise to 8.

I'm not sure how air blocks affect the calculation. My best guess from the wiki is that they count as blocks, so a diamond at the bottom of a 64 block pillar of dirt should read the same as a diamond under a 'pillar' of air.

*Linking is not allowed?

The headache with magnetised fences is that it seems you must be within the magnetised block to get lift. You're partly in the pole block and partly in the (presumably empty) block beside it. Assuming you use 40 fence poles on one magnetizer, you'll shoot up 20 blocks, then hit your head on the magnetizer and stop. If you're far enough away from the pole to miss the magnetiser, you'll start falling.

To get 40 blocks of uplift out of 1 magnetiser, you can jump off the pole at the magnetiser onto a ledge, climb 1 more block and jump back on the second part of the ride.

I wanted a continuous 60 block ride from near bedrock to sea level. My design for doing that is 3 staggered poles with magnetisers at the bottom. I get on the bottom pole and hold 'forward'. After 20 blocks I fly off the first pole and the next is 1 block forward, so I land in it's pull and fly up another 20 without losing momentum. Same at the next junction. As a bonus, if I do fall off, I'll only fall up to 20 blocks, not 60.

The downside is it needs 3x magnetizers and 3x batboxes, and of course you'll need a ladder nearby or some way to get to those batboxes for occasionaly recharging.

Is there something simple I'm missing, or is this the easiest ride from lava-level to the surface?

:Copper Ore: :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell: :MFE-Transmitter:
    :Copper Ore: :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell: :MFE-Transmitter:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Copper Ore: :MFE-Transmitter: