Posts by MJEvans

Could you please either make a tool (it can be super high level) that either always has 100% probability, or at /least/ returns the non-renewable resources? (Coaldust and copper in some form are the two things lost for solars. Diamonds and other materials for other machines); or optionally add a config file option to make the electric wrench perfect?

I'm assuming there's some kind of worker queue for each tick (since that makes sense at a guess). If you just discharged at a given level and only produce 1eU/tick then your next insertion will be in level*ticks. So a tin wired solar will check once per tick, while copper will pulse once every 32, gold every 128, glass every 512, and HV every 2048.

Probably another optimization would be to maintain lists of panels operating at each level and try to balance the repetition cycles such that an average number of solars fired off each tick, but always at a slot where they would have a chance of providing full power (minimize packet loss).

Overall I like this proposal's basis. I'm not sure about the sustainability. Also it should put out Tier 4 energy (2048eU/t) as this would be a next level generator device. The unit it's self might even (when not undergoing fusion) be used as a giant magnetic storage field; obviously getting energy back out would be lossful and it would also slowly diminish internally.

As for new block types, after looking at what RP2 is doing for blocks I /very much/ like the idea of consolidating ores to dammage values on a block id. It looks like notch is just going to keep gobbling up block ids like candy instead of doing anything useful to give modders space to breath in.

Just make solar panels always build up to the lesser of: a pulse that an attached cable can handle, the remaining value a device can sync on a tick. Internal storage should still be equal to one RE battery. (You're either going to be constantly hungry, or you're going to have built up enough storage buffer that a few extra K is noise.)

If I had coded the grid then no. Each unit would have TX and RX buffers equal to their largest tolerated input, transformers would swap their high and low buffers when the 'output' (be it high or low) was empty. All storage devices would act like transformers with the addition of internal storage buffers.

Even though that's not quite how things work, I will assume that the storage boxes at least buffer for one tick. It should be more than safe to experiment and monitor the resource utilization.

Actually the 'bug' I noticed appears to be a /different/ behavior. The scaffolding seems to retain the top most scaffold if it's next to another block (a catwalk?). I have yet to test this with a fully isolated tower though...

Updated: 2011-12-28

The .minecraft/redpower/redpower.cfg file contains the block ids for ores (inc. gemstone ores) and stones (marble/etc).

The .minecraft/config/IC2.cfg file contains a line 'valuableOres=' and a list. The list has a format of blockid:value,(space)

The normal minecraft blocks are obvious; the industrial craft blocks IDs are defined in this very same file. All that's missing is telling IndustrialCraft which /other/ blocks to mine for. In my case 140:2, 142:2, was missing.

Hayo! The automated miner does a nice job.

( BTW, if you want it to also get more cobblestone, sandstone, clay, etc, just add the block IDs to that list. This should also work for glowstone and other resources... but I'm not sure if it is able to collect material before it drops/if it is surrounded by lava O.o )

Here is my current line (this will even 'mine' RP2 trees, but that's REALLY costly compared to breaking out a chainsaw!):
    valuableOres=14:3, 15:4, 16:1, 21:3, 56:5, 73:3, 144:1, 141:1, 143:1, 140:2, 139:1, 142:1, 247:4, 248:2, 249:2

Then you must have missed it, as bones were one of the main reasons to implement UUM. And since we C&Pd the UUM recipes from IC1...

I just checked, 1057 pages with 6 items, 1 page with 1 item: Thank you ever so much redpower2 for 6000 recipes shifting blocks around. Well, aside from those it was nice to see the various things that might be useful.

Of those pages, I saw a number of uu-mater recipes all together in a sequence. For the sake of saving anyone else who's not yet spoiled it I'll partly obscure the number. I the number of uu-mater recipes I saw involving uu-mater from 1.23 was a perfect square (eg, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 42, 64); none of them were bonemeal. Unless that recipe is removed/somehow doesn't work on peaceful it isn't in the recipe book.

If you do happen to know that recipe, maybe from IC1, please do try it out again (just to verify the result is still valid, not to actually produce the item).

That's great, however you could make your targeted material, the diamond, out of a trickle of power and 544 scrap fed to a massfab. Though if the 1 in 25 rate for scrapboxes is correct that's would be more efficient at 225 (on average) plus lots of random junk as a bonus.

I saw a better one. It's not too hard to get a full cycle out of a 2x2 square with six chambers and cooling:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…3k=1k10101001501521s1r11r

That only took me a few min of experimentation and a fuzzy memory of the 'winning' reactor design. I'm sure better can be done, but that's sufficient.

I also came up with a more budget design that will tolerate up to 61% run-time continuously (but not a full unattended cycle). It should be easy enough to build a 20 redstone tick delay loop and operate this at 50% capacity with ample tolerance for redstone failure. The instant output is too much for a batbox, but averaged could be transferred over a batbox relay link without loss.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ir=1o10101001501521s1r01r

** Edit:
    In case it's unclear, someone else who was here long before me already worked out the upper limit (some basic math says based on cooling and thresh there's no way of getting better) and optimal design.

Further, with the <32eu/T average design you only need an LV stepdown TF and two batboxes at the head end. Those two can then feed in to the next batbox down the leg since the second is only needed to buffer the over-production of eU's during the uptime. Due to wiring/tech level limits you can also use the 60 'continuous' (not pulsed during op but long cooldown after op) mode if you maintain the double width batbox buffering all down the line, though the most resource effective way of doing so forces the use of two parallel transmission circuits.

You can't give a machine the same source of in-and-output. ElectricBlocks already use redstone input to stop providing power.
    If we make them output redstone, as well, they will redstone themselves.
    Even worse, it would prevent anyone from using compact setups, since they would as well effect electric blocks surrounding them, f.e. transformers.

How about a secondary block that can be coupled (placed right next to) to any power storage block that outputs a redstone signal if that device is full. Actually a configurable threshold or even just full / 50% / empty would be helpful. It could even be non-full height (like a redstone repeater) so that the face could still be used for recharging.

/cables/ have no concept of concurrent flow; only 'voltage pressure'. The largest pulse down the cable determines this pressure level.

Individual unit faces, however, do (may?) have intake limits. While you could easily arrange for 8 32eU/t sized pulses (batboxes along a glass cable), the resulting 256eU/t sourcing could not be handled by a single MFE; it wouldn't blow up but the input going to a single face would be wasted (I think; I know a machine won't take that much). An MFS unit might not have that limit.

Similarly, even tough it is quite /unlike/ the real world; where there are both voltage (due to insulation leakage) and current (due to wattage/burn up issues) limits on cables there is no limit to current. If you wanted you could build a 39 tin wire segment long cable right out from an MFE and shove 39x3 solar panels on it. The full 117 eU/t generation would reach the MFE without loss.