Posts by Krazygluon

for the **th time? really?
    sorry for being so rude, but it's been on forum several times just last month alone

Fell into this one myself. its not exactly widely advertised but the q helmet does do it. although sometimes i'm wearing it and it doesn't work...

Really depends on whether the solars we use are PV or Thermal.

Thermals (reflect light onto a point where a heat transfer liquid is heated then run through a heat exchange system into a more conventional steam turbine) really require very little maintenance. mirror polishing / array drive maintenance really.

PV does burn out, but tbh, as we improve their design this becomes less and less of an issue.

Personally I feel like the set+forget nature of solars is a fair benefit relative to the cost (1 whole generator block) and output (1 ev)

not to mention the cost of arraying them to get a significant production rate. (tin is rare on my maps, so i wire with copper, and that gets into more batboxes/etc)

Maybe ratchet down the output from 1 ev to 0.something. (not sure if that's mechanically possible)

Rp2 already stretches the limit on ore diversity. From a dev standpoint is it going to be possible to unify ic and rp tin and copper? It's the suck to have two different ores with the same names. I could use another sink for copper...seem to have waaaaay more of it than tin. Maybe an ev wire using braided copper

Not to necro this, but what's the relationship with Redpower 2 here?

do I need it in order to get the silver ore or does it mess with the silver?

I have RP2, but for some reason the silver ore I mine won't crush and 2 silver ingots don't seem to work in the recipe.

@ the nuke crowd.

Molten salt =! Thorium (necessarily)

Liquid sodium reactors are really just modified PWR's with a different coolant/moderation system but the same U fuel. We tried them in the navy and found for ships it was an epic PITA because of the cooldown time required to get the plant down to a point that you could walk away from it. Can't speak to the commercial world.

Thorium Rx's are BREEDERS. They make fuel. They may or may not be done with sodium/water cooling systems. Since my nuclear education is 100% PWR, I'll say no more on them than that for IC mod purposes, it would be EPIC to have a more complex fuel cycle.

Another idea to throw out that's mentioned a time or two is enrichment of the existing Uranium.

Going from U ore to U fuel cells would realistically require Heavy water coolant, not these ordinary tap-water cooling cells used in vanilla IC. There should be a machine (centrifuge, gaseous diffuser, call it whatever you want) that turns U ore or dust to Enriched U which then makes enriched cells that can be loaded in. that or an isotopic separator like the one in Rocket Science that produceds heavy water coolant cells for use with unenriched U.

As usual I'll throw in my plug that what really matters in these puppies is coolant pressure/temperature and flow, as well as poison loading.

Honestly I like 2nd poster's idea better. That way you have to provide a reference object that you yourself took the time/mats to make. Should allow you to put ANYTHING in the slot to be copied...that way I can deal with the gold/tin deficiency on my map.

Only done the fusion thing so far. It's great, but getting 15 eu/t out of the baseline fusor is some hella diminishing returns for the mats i put in. (building 6 of the 8 reactor chambers required would have netted me a few hundred eu/t if I were a good fission-engineer)

That said I'm still happily using the poop out of the one I built since all i need is water to fuel the thing; and greatly anticipating the lunar addition.

Also, just an idea if the whole moon/He-3/Tritium thing doesn't work out. maybe mod the fission Rx or build an addon for the fusion Rx like the electrolyzer that puts water cells in the neutron field of either reactor type and yields "tritiated water" which can then be put in the isotope separator.

A final thought: maybe add some premium versions of the heater tools and different heat/containment levels acheived by using the different levels to get varying levels of output from the Rx based on how much we choose to put into it on the material front.

Best of luck with the RL lab issue.

You know that jaw dropping moment when you realize you've only scratched the surface of something...

I just had it. (for like the 9th time in this game)

So is the drop rate for diamonds from scrap boxes better than the effective drop-rate from a scrap-fed matter fab? or is it just the energy cost associated with the matter fab?

I think it is something to do with pulse wastage, as you mentioned higher up.

I've heard of other people having similar problems with mfsu's supplying Matter Fabs.

I also read something about wiring some kind of looping feedback into place, but I'm iffy to try that out save in a creative game, where I can't use EV meters or any other metric equipment.

Ahh, so that's what that # is.

Got my sorter/recycler going, just need more power to my matter-fab to keep it up 100%

I am getting some strange "cross talk" between recyclers where one outputs scrap and it goes into another before heading to the chest i'm currently using as a placeholder.

Is there something like a check valve/stop valve to cause 1-way flow in the BC pipes? Iron pipe maybe?

I've been playing with quarries and diamond pipes, sorting my little ores and gems and rocks and dirt as they come out of my quarries; then the idea hit me.

I can feed sorted cobblestone/dirt straight from the sorter into a (many) recyclers and then pipe said stuff into my matter fabricator and before you can say bob's your uncle, I've got an AUTOMATIC MATTER FARM

But before I undertake this, I noticed the wiki is missing a valuable piece of data for any major industrial engineering project like this: Machine Production Rate (i.e. how many pieces per tick are produced or consumed by a machine). Any idea what the recycler to matter fab ratio would be where the production out of the recyclers matches the scrap-consumption of the matter fab?

Going to play around with this and see if I can derive some answers; just curious if anyone else has undertaken this?

They actually make for a good means of hauling a lot of energy to a remote site without investing in lapotrons ormore energy crystals. Personally I have one setup as a rainy day energy supply if I leave the mf on and forget to feed my nuke and my geo. As for the tin...the water cellscan go back and forth infinitely so at least its renewable.

Sorry for shitty typing. Doing this on an android from the airport.

Sorry to be off topic, but usually what I do to solve this problem is to quarry the ocean instead.

another option i've considered is putting a source block in the center block of ground you're about to quarry. should flood the entire area as you dig and take care of it.

Personally i like to pump the lava as an energy source. just wish i could setup a bc pump to automatically pump out whatever gets in the way like the ic pumps do.

Generally +1

But the Thorium breeding process is one more ore I could care less about.

As a real nuclear operator, what I'd like to see are the concepts of pressure/temperature, coolant flow and temperature feedback added/revamped.

I'd rather not go blathering about how any of this really works, but wikipedia is decently well informed on the subject and if Al or any modder is interested in trying to incorporate it / add on, pm me.

+1 for Lapotrons / EC's.

Maybe make it a recursive 3 tier type recipe.

you build the mk1 with the standard recipe.

to get it to mk2, you take a mk1, some wire and an lv-xfmr. mk2 would accept Energy crystals.

to get to mk3, an mk2 + mv-xfmr. mk 2 accepts lapotrons.