Posts by Cybertron7

I had recently made a post on the suggestion forum that was to suggest a way to "zap" players/mobs with a floor tile. I wanted the tile to be energized so that if you walk on it you get zapped! I mostly wanted it for cooking some creepers who liked to loiter around my front door. Through trial and error I've found some interesting stuff:

To make such a contraption with the current items and blocks you need something like this:

:Wrench:
    Power In -->:Cable: :Batbox: :LV-Transformer: :Cable: :Refined Iron: :Cable: :LV-Transformer: :Batbox: :Cable: where :Wrench: = RS switch :Refined Iron: = exposed wire
    :Cable: :Cable:
    :Cable: :Cable: :Cable: :Cable: :Cable: :Cable: :Cable: :Cable:

sort of a feedback loop that sends MV current in the middle. The exposed wire will energize all adjacent blocks like this:

MinecraftNotch.png" wcf_src=http://forum.industrial-craft.net/wcf/images/smilies/MinecraftNotch.png alt="MinecraftNotch"> <-- not zapped.
    :Advanced Machine: :Advanced Machine: :Advanced Machine:
    :Advanced Machine: :Refined Iron: :Advanced Machine:
    :Advanced Machine: :Advanced Machine: :Advanced Machine: where :Advanced Machine: is an energized block.

The only problem is that it will not zap players/mobs standing on top of a :Advanced Machine:. Therefore, it is necessary to make those top blocks half-blocks of some kind. Then if the RS switch is off, current will flow and anything standing on one of the half-blocks will get zapped!

I would not recommend making a grid, as that lags. Just do straight lines, separated by a block so they don't connect.

Just try experimenting in Creative mode, or use TMI, but from what I can assume, running 1024 EU current through uninsulated HV cable would be enough to take a huge chunk out of your life, if not kill you outright. I'm currently not home right now, or I would test it out to find the exact lethality level.

Now, getting back on topic, One way we can do to make your suggestion different from the above described method would be to have it draw a large current only when it's zapping something, and have a low steady current when idle. obviously, HV cables bleed a lot of electricity, especially when uninsulated, and this impromptu method draws the same amount of current the entire time it's powered.

That's a good point. I've only been playing IC2 for just a little while now. I only have 10 solar panels... :P One way to get around drawing big current would be to have a redstone switch controling whatever MFE/MFSU or in my case BatBox you have.

The main reason I want these zap plates is for creeper/spider killing in the mornings :P I'll be testing with copper cable for now, but once I've got MFEs or MFSUs, perhaps I'll have an Epic Electric Defense "grid" And by grid I mean your 1 block in between idea. :D

EDIT: I've been working on it for a while now and I cannot for the life of me get any current to go through a block.Mind you I've only been able to get a maximum of 70ish EU avg. over 6 tics... I have no diamonds = no energy crystals = only LV stuff... I've used gold cable since i have lots of that... any help?

EDIT: EDIT: I've figured it out. Any exposed wire will energize (zap) any block within 1 block from it. like this

:Advanced Machine: =energized block
    :Cable: = exposed cable

:Advanced Machine: :Cable: :Advanced Machine:

When viewed from any side...

Therefore it is still possible to hide said exposed cables, but only with a half-block of some sort.

I like the concept, but it's already possible to do this in game with two storage units connected to each other, and uninsulated wire bridging the two. You can even control where the shock is by insulating the wire you want to be safe, and stop the current by applying redstone power to one of the storage units. Also, if I'm correct, a high enough voltage will go through a one block layer, allowing you to hide the wire.

Also, please remember that Metal Fences can be electrified as well.

Really? That's cool that they go through a 1 block layer. And might I say that you have a great solution with insulating and un-inslulating the wires at different places. would an underground grid work? or would the current try to find the fastest way like in RL?

-Cybertron7

Floor overlay that zaps any players/mobs standing on it when powered, much the way bare copper wire does. If this was already brought up, by all means delete this post.

I'm thinking that it should be an overlay like the sticky resin and snow, the way they stick up a bit from the block they're placed on. It should also be able to be hidden with the painter. I know that the tesla coil block sorta does this already, but these floor tiles are more localized.

They would be a great addition to quote, "Create obstacle courses of Metal Poles and Rubber-Sheets!"

I personally would love to see them in IC, but you know how it is with most ideas. :) Just want to put this one out there. :D

-Cybertron7

A machine block that transmits energy to/from the Nether.

I have not played IC2 enough yet to know what to make it out of. Perhaps includes a HV Transmitter and a Lapotron Crystal + other stuff? Seems a bit hi-tech, even for Industrial Craft, but I thought I might give the idea a chance.