Posts by Novae

I was just wondering if anyone had a source of information about boilers. What fuels can be used, how much steam gets produced, things like that.

I'm also continuing to have trouble getting machines to output EU to other machines. I'm assuming it's something to do with amps. Most machines use 2, but I'm guessing they can receive more if they're passing EU on to other machines. How many amps can they receive and how many can they pass on?

I've been curious about the schematics for packaging machines too. I get the ones that combine dusts, but how do the other ones work?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Almost forgot one - I can't get the new fluid cells to work. I'm probably jamming them into something they don't belong in. How/where do I use these?

Has anyone else had problems using a crowbar to remove covers? I can't do it after updating to 5.05. I'm going to switch to an earlier version to see if that's the problem.

This isn't an intentional change, is it?

On an unrelated subject...are machines supposed to be able to transmit EU to each other? Mine don't (except for the item buffer/filter/etc), but I remember reading about other people being able to do that.

I've got a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to by searching these forums. I really did try, but the search thing is horrible...

What's with the Industrial Grinder and the Fusion reactor? No recipe for them in NEI, though there are plenty that use them. I'm guessing they're just not implemented yet, but I want to make sure I'm not just overlooking something.

Are there ores that show up in NEI that won't actually show up in the game? I've found plenty of most things, but there are some that I just can't find at all. Others I'm guessing are also not in the mod yet. Naquadah, for example, seems to be impossible to find or create even though there are naquadah reactors in NEI.

Is there any point to using the higher-voltage input and output hatches (aside from some of them having larger inventories)?

When trying to power multiblock machines (blast furnace, smelter) I have to have multiple energy hatches instead of one at a higher voltage. I already had IC2 wiring in place, so I've been hooking transformers up directly to the energy hatches. What's going on here?

What are the different parts of the machine GUIs for? The two square buttons on the left that have arrows on them don't seem to do anything. I'm not sure what the square areas on the right are for either.

Is there any reason to use the electric version of tools? Can tools be repaired at all?

While trying to figure this stuff out, I went looking for the changes made in each update...there's the (unofficial) changelog from the beginning of this thread, but there's also this one. Is it accurate?

I'm really enjoying this mod, and I apologize if I missed seeing the answers to these things somewhere obvious.

Novae : Gregtech has its own energy net now that is separate from the IC2 energy net. The steam turbine itself likely did not blow up; either your boiler blew up because you put water in it when it was hot and dry, or your cable blew up because it was of the wrong type/size.

http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/GregTech/Electricity

That is a primer on how energy works in Gregtech. It's not exhaustive yet, but should give you an idea of how it works.

Oh, wow. That does answer a ton of questions I had, thank you.

That page says that transformers can take IC2 power. I found that I can connect a generator to an IC2 transformer, and a GT cable will connect to the input if the transformer is set to 'step up' or the output if set to 'step down'. So I can change GT into IC2, but not the other way around. No IC2 cable will attach to the GT transformer, though the page does say that transformers are supposed to take IC2 power. Did I do something wrong?

So if I'm reading the wiki(s) right (FTB is the official one?), I should be using steam or gas power until I can build a fusion generator. There does not appear to be a usable nuclear generator of any kind.

BTW, it turns out that machines - at least, steam turbines - don't like rain. Did not know that.

Thanks again for the help.

The early generator for GT is the steam turbine. After you go through the bronze age, you build it to get EU from your steam boilers.

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried the steam turbine, and I couldn't figure out how to connect it to my IC2 machines. Also, it exploded.

I've got an ordinary IC2 generator too, and it won't connect to GT machines. Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

Unrelated to this, my Railcraft steam turbine won't run, and I'm going to go find something to blow up until I feel better.

I'm really new to this and I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious, so please be patient with me.

I can't figure out how to connect GT machines to any of the basic IC2 generators. I've also looked through NEI and the many various out-of-date wikis, and I can't find any early GT generators for EU. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.