Posts by Strelko

GPSOU (GPS Orbital Unit) - works as a full-scale GPS for one person which has the frequency of the GPSOU. GPS map is centered on player. (if centering on player - other stuff is not good, the Orbital Unit can be simply unused) the launching might prove tricky... perhaps integrate a jet-pack? (crafting -- Orbital Unit + 2-3 filled Jetpacks = Launchable Orbital Unit? will launch straight up from hand -- unrealistic, ik -- and disappear upon hitting the top air layer. also, if you launch it in a cave (i.e. it hits a block), it will explode like an ITNT upon hitting the block, just without dropping ALL the blocks in the explosion radius. only the ones that are on the edges, like normal TNT does it.)

+ useful mainly on SP, or for individuals, since it gives a scrolling map.
    - should be harder to get.

Solar panel - S (this baby needs some energy as well)
    Advanced Machine - M (data storage)
    FreqTrans - F (signal I/O)
    Advanced Alloy - A (to make it durable enough to stay there)

S S S
    A M A
    F A F

OR

S MF S
    A M A
    F A F

where MF is MFSUnit, for energy storage and for harder availability. the upper setup might be relatively easy to get.

GPSSU (Stationary Unit) -- used as an alternative to the satellite, looking like a tesla coil (see negative below), needs a stable energy source to be able to receive and transmit data into Handheld Device. (5 EU/s?) Can be turned off by redstone. (will not give signal, in that case.) is usable by multiple Handheld Devices at once, although each device connected draws extra energy (base standby usage 5 EU/s + 2 EU/s per GPSHD) -- GPS Map will be centered on the location of the Relay.

+ Useful for Multiplayer. Cheaper alternative to the satellite. Good for new-ish people to get a GPS Map. (granted they have a Handheld Device, though)
    - Map is static - centered on relay. May cause people to sneak in to get your frequency and thus to sap your energy. (but hey, at least you'll get to use those Tesla coils of yours! Camoflague AND protection!)

Advanced Machine - M (Data storage and multitasking in this case)
    Refined Iron - I (enough to keep it alive on surface... hopefully anyway)
    FreqTrans - F (obvious by now)
    Cable - C (wiring. period.)
    Glowstone Block - B (Glowstone is renowned for its signal amplification. this way it can be planted in mountains and it will provide decent signal. (OPTIONAL, since it may cause GPSSU to be somewhat hard-to-get)

B F B
    I C I
    I M I

GPSHD (Handheld Device) would need the exact frequency of a Relay (more about FreqTrans and this later)on which the map will be centered, and will be able to switch to a different relay (with FreqTrans, obviously), on which the "NEW" map will be centered, thus giving it a "multiple maps in one item" potential, depending on how many relays will you make. (you can't store 2 relay frequencies to easily switch back to, though. or, maybe...?) rightclicking with this in hand will open a single-slot interface. insert battery. (perhaps the potential Freq-Switch -- between Satellite and Relay? -- might be here, IF the dev will find it okay.)

Advanced Circuit - C (since machines are too heavy to carry around)
    FreqTrans - F
    RE Battery - B (every mobile device needs energy storage.)
    Carbon Plate - P (since they haven't got that much of a use, and are lightweight)
    Glass - G (the most reliable display.)

+ It's possible to have a multi-map with several FreqTranses with different relay frequencies.
    - still requires a recharge now and then (1 EU/s, can run only on battery (10k EU) - no bat-pack. that'd be somewhat IMBA.)

P F P
    C G C
    P B P

A rightclick with FreqTrans in hand without aiming at any machine will bring up a screen similar to Mobile Charger, putting the Handheld Device into a slot will result in a FAIFS (fully automatic instant frequency switch), IF you have a frequency of a Relay stored inside.

As to exploration... just like normal maps, or some kind of high-EU consuming scanning? (perhaps only available with satellite, requires the bottom setup with MFSU and a long 10 MC-day chargeup? although, "exploring" ungenerated chunks might be a hard rock...)