Posts by wierd

the Batbox in between to let the luminator charge up seems a lot more work than simply right clicking on the luminator with an RE-Battery to give it a little charge.
    The buffer would work because while you are replacing the "1" with "100", you are not replacing the "0" with "99"
    it turns on at 100, but still only turns off at 0. so it's once again the same as charging it a little with a batbox or with an RE-Battery.

I'll try to make my posts less windy...

The issue is, Luminators use 1 EU every "time % 4 == 0" tick. Which implies the actual first one.

This was Alblaka shedding light on it =)
    its a simple breakdown of what is actually happening.

0.25eu/tick is different from 1eu/4ticks specifically because 0.25eu/tick is not what the luminator draws.
    i do not know how fractions of eus are handled in IC2, which is a shame, because water generators really confuse me because of it. i know they work, but i don't know how. same with wind turbines.

regardless of whether anyone understands me or not, the simple fact is. until Alblaka thresholds the energy required to turn a luminator on, you can fix the flickering by using an RE Battery to apply a startup charge yourself. as long as the luminator never runs out after that point, it wont flicker.

That is how you count decimals using only integers, my friend. If you look at what you just said with just a dash of dimensional analysis, you're repeating yourself.

1eu/4ticks . . .
    Numbers only: 1/4 = 0.25
    Units only: eu/tick = eu/t
    1eu/4ticks = 0.25eu/t

AH, but see, I'm not repeating myself
    1eu/4 ticks is this
    tick1 - 1eu consumed
    tick2 - 0eu consumed
    tick3 - 0eu consumed
    tick4 - 0eu consumed
    tick5 - 1eu consumed
    tick6 - 0...
    tick7 - 0...
    tick8 - 0...
    tick9 - 1...

you get the pattern
    0.25eu per tick would be different
    its all in how its programmed
    the luminators are programmed to work at 1eu consumed every fourth tick, not 0.25 eu per tick
    and since they use an eu on the tick they turn on, it means the eu that comes in to turn them on gets used up before they get a second eu, so they turn off again.
    This apparently happens no matter how many 1eu sized ticks of energy solar panels give it, (i haven't tested using >20 solar panels.)
    unless you use a RE-Battery on the light to give it a small boost, it will continue turning on and off every time it gets that first 1eu

It's not using 0.25eu/t its using 1eu/4ticks
    the thing is, it starts counting the moment it turns on, using 1eu on tick 0, then 1eu on tick 4, and so on
    but when it turns off, that counter resets
    so it turns on and is at tick 0 again, causing it to use 1eu immediately
    the two other fixes i could think of would be to make it wait a tick before turning off,
    or changing the timer to use 1eu on ==1 or ==2 instead, but neither of these would prevent flickering in an out of power situation
    the threshold would. from my limited understanding, it sounds like the best fix, and makes sense in an "power on requiring extra power to exist, even if its not used" kinda way

Don't try to understand the mechanics based on the 5% i revealed in here. :P

The issue is, Luminators use 1 EU every "time % 4 == 0" tick. Which implies the actual first one.
    If now a solar provides 1 EU, the luminator will switch to on, consume 1 EU and then turn off again, because it's on 0 EU, which will as well reset the timer (and cause it to actually eat 1 EUt).
    There are probably better ways to fix this up, but telling it to only turn on after receiving at least will fix this issue without creating new ones.

I like the threshold idea, it sounds like it would solve most issues that could cause flickering, especially if someone has more luminators than their power sources can handle.

I'm pretty sure he means it will turn on at 100eu, but will stay on til it hits 0.
    That way, if its going to flicker, it will be a slow flicker

EDIT: seems to work fine if you get the luminator started with an RE-Battery, once its on, it charges up from the solar panel without issue. it seems the act of turning on the luminator uses up the 1 eu that the solar panel sends to it, so it turns off immediately cause its then at 0 before the next eu comes in, but once you get it charged a little, energy usage is as expected. this is just my observation from testing, hope it helps.