Posts by seregheru

Did you try Filter Covers? On each Junction have one Filter go towards the Drum, and one inverted Filter go sideways to the next stage on the nonuple Pipe

Then below each filtered junction place one pipe with a valve going towards your drum. This should work, if it doesnt, then try a slightly smaller Pipe instead.

Ah thanks. Already had the filter covers, but the smaller pipes did the trick.

Yes,I'm uploading videos and living on youtube.

Your factory looks fantastic, although the cobblestone frame makes me wonder if GT6 needs

an inexpensive corrugated steel siding block to fill in the walls... Did you dig out all of the

materials yourself, or is there some creative mode work here?

-----

At Greg:

Hi Greg,

Enjoying recent updates after a spell playing Wurm Unlimited. I've come across a minor

inconvenience bug today, trying to save some space in my noble gas extraction system.

Instead of a shutter/cover-controller-cover, I've been using a brass pressure release valve

to vent excess low value gases while extracting helium, neon and argon. The idea is to fill

one Extra Utils drum each of each of the 6 gases that can be extracted from air and then

vent the excess nitrogen and oxygen once the corresponding drum is filled. The problem

is that the pipes stall just short of full, but with insufficient space to take the output of the

centrifuge. Because the pipe never fills, the valve never vents and the whole system stalls.

Currently the centrifuge outputs to a nonuple pipe, filtered by gas type to a normal pipe,

then the final section connects to both a drum and a pressure valve. The system stalls with

nitrogen in the centrifuge output slot, but free space in the nitrogen output pipe. Any

chance the centrifuge could output a partial amount to the pipe so that the pipe fills?

Cheers

(ps. Holy Voltage Batman! Those lithium batteries have crazy large capacities! They are

awesome to the point that I am considering a building dedicated to their production...)

Setup should work, right? WRONG! The boiler on the right (or left, one of them) overpressurizes, and the merged pipeline doesn't get the expected 512 Steam/t!

Yeah, so if I'm understanding Greg correctly, normally any two adjacent pipes would

tick on alternate game ticks, but when you add in an extender, all three of those pipe

sections attached to it (the 2 inputs and the 1 output) tick in the same game tick

(picture a chessboard - they would either all be white or all be black). This means you

can get slightly different behaviour depending on the order in which the pipes tick.

So although you avoid the backflow issue of combining pipes directly, you can't avoid

tick-order issues entirely.

Relying on memory here, so could easily be wrong, but my instinct is that a larger

output pipe should work... the pipes over the boilers have a single output so should

attempt to output capacity/2 regardless of the content of the central output pipe

(which, if I remember correctly, is only involved in the calculation for dividing between

two or more outputs). The only reason I can think for them to output less is if there

isn't room in the central pipe.

……..

Actually, thinking about it - that pressure valve is only going to vent once the top

section is completely full, by which point the one below it could easily have less than

512 L of space remaining in it.

For this kind of testing maybe pipe the steam into a drum? (which due to exploit-

-prevention, should just void all the steam that reaches it.)

Well I just had a big fucking bug blow my shit right up. I lit my 5 dense invar boilers going into my titanium turbine and MV dynamo as I have been for the last week to recharge my HV battery box, and after about 10 minutes I realized that my batteries were not charging. The boilers were all right at the normal range on the guage, distilled water was fine, but no power was being generated. I picked up the dynamo and saw the turbine was not turning. Picked up the turbine and put it back down, and still no turning. Then boom! all of the boilers exploded.

If the steam amount supplied is outside of the accepted range then the steam

will be consumed but the turbine won't turn. This is likely why the pressure didn't

build until you removed the turbine. At that point the steam in the pipe had

nowhere to go, so the pressure probably started building at that stage. I'm guessing

that it was just a coincidence that the pressure maxed out just as you replaced the

turbine.

If that was the cause, then the explosion wasn't really a bug, but the non-charging

that prompted you to partially dismantle the system leading to the explosion was

probably the known steam distribution instability half-bug, half-technical-limitation.

But for that, the conditions that created the explosion would never have occurred,

so if you're playing single player it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to carry out an

NEI-rebuild or to restore a back-up. Just build defensively to counter this instability

in future.

(Assuming nothing changed since I last read through it:)

The pipe distribution code is only fully stable if each section of pipe receives input

from only one direction. If it receives input from 2 directions in a single tick then

it forgets the first one and only remembers the second. When it distributes its

contents, some will be distributed back in the first direction. Mostly, when you run

a pipe along the top of a row of boilers you will be saved by the fact that the boilers

tick first and that a pipe cannot distribute steam back into the boiler. However, it's

still possible to get instability. For a pipe running left to right to a consumer on the

far right, rightward distribution runs all the way to the consumer with constant

throughput, while leftward distribution can run only as far as the dead end.

Whether you get some initial leftward distribution, whether this leftward distribution

persists after the first few ticks, whether it all averages out to a constant rightward

output, or whether it creates an oscillation, all depends highly on the order in which

the pipe sections tick.

To avoid this, ideally limit steam carrying pipes to simple straight lines

with no branches, and if you must branch, only do so on the output side, never on

the input side. To combine two pipes use an extender - the extender ensures that

both inputs are credited to the same face of the attached pipe section. This way

it doesn't matter which input is most-recent or second-most-recent, as the pipe

section will remember the same input face either way. For extra safety, always place

a pressure valve on the section of pipe immediately above the boiler.

I thought that automatic igniters needed a redstone signal to activate? They seem to ignore redstone and just constantly keep lighting fires.

Place a redstone switch cover on the igniter. For best effects run your redstone signal

through a pulse former before it reaches the switch cover.

What is the difference between blue power red alloy wire and GT red alloy wire? Other than the GT ones cost more to make ( and shouldn't they be homogenized? )?

If Blue Power stayed true to Red Power on this, then these wires are placed on a surface,

can be separated by covers/strips, and up to 4 independent lines can occupy a single block.

When powered, they power the block to which they are surface attached.

GT6 red alloy wires are placed centre-block, can be joined/separated independently in 6

directions using the wire cutter tool, and can be covered in construction foam.

As they are used in very different ways it is helpful to have both, and homogenization is not

desirable.

So I thought that cfoam sprayed multiple blocks at once, but when I applied it to some wires in the floor it only applied to one at a time. Also, if you don't have IC2 installed for the scaffolding, how do you make normal cfoam blocks?

In single block mode, right click the spray can as though you were holding a regular block.

The can will place a wet c-foam block, which will dry over time. There is no need for the

scaffold. You can insta-dry the wet c-foam with the hardening spray. This will create regular

c-foam, which is like any normal block. (Spraying a scaffold in GT6 creates a different kind

of c-foam block, one to which GT6 machine covers can be attached - in the absence of IC2

you can spray an unconnected pipe or wire to get a similar effect)

Hi Greg,

I don't understand what all this Global Garbage stuff is about.

Is the purpose to punish people for voiding items? Is it some kind

of environmental statement? Can it be disabled in config?

Just on a psychological level, the inability to actually delete items just creeps

me out in games like this. I get that in games like Oxygen Not Included,

managing waste is an integral part of the game, but in games like The Long

Dark or Stranded Deep it just makes my skin crawl to know that there is some

corner of the map filled with a pile of items the game won't let me delete,

break down, recycle, or feed to the pigs. It's depressing.

How are the items/liquids stored from a software point of view?

I'm guessing it's something smarter than a hidden inventory of items

stored in ordinary item stacks, but what is it exactly?

Is there a simple pre-allocated counter for each item type? (Which

although a waste of memory is at least fixed and allows access in

constant time) Or is there something like a linked list of item types

voided so far, which will get progressively more laggy as more items

are voided?

For a per-type counter, is it practically possible for this counter to

overflow? What happens when it does? Are there separate counters for

each meta-item/damage value, and how much memory does this

consume (especially when combined with other mods)?

For a linked-list or similar, how much logic is involved for every single

void/de-spawn action (which may be triggered dozens of times per tick)?

Is there a search through the whole list looking for the matching type?

Are more frequent items cached or sorted to the front of the list? Are

changes aggregated over the tick, or does each void trigger an independent

search?

GT6 strains the limits of my computer already (which, although a few

years old now, was a beast when I bought it and is still a match for the

current console generation). Over the course of my last game my FPS

dropped from 120 in the early-midgame, down to 50 or lower with

periodic stutters by the time I'd built up a large automated base. Any

extra unnecessary lag will lower the eventual limit on what I can build.

(p.s. a config option wouldn't need a check at every call site - you could

just have a choice of two garbage dimensions, one that records what is

passed to it, and one that just ignores everything. The config would only

be needed to choose which of these would be selected at start-up)

(EDIT: p.p.s. Those ropes look really cool!)

Are you sure that isn't also the case for SiO2? It seems like they should be chemically very similar.

All you are doing in the crucible is mixing molten SiO2 with carbon dust and the carbon burns off.

Requires applied heat (typically electric arc furnace IRL).

Remember burner mixer generates it's own heat internally

from the burning of its ingredients. It cannot apply any

additional heat.

Although a quick glance at wiki suggest we should be using

the distillation tower (wtf?) for semiconductor grade silicon.

Silicon dioxide, carbon and chlorine in a mixer, to give impure

silicon tetrachloride, through the distillation tower to purify,

then reduce by mixing with zinc. But I doubt there is sufficient

demand for silicon in GT6 to balance this fairly - the distillation

tower would either be idle most of the time, or you'd get a

mountain of unwanted silicon.

Also: Hurray for nitrogen monoxide! : )

I just tried playing GT6 for first time and came across one of those dungeons. Man, they're OP as hell. I know you can disable them in config. But why you made them so OP, Greg?

Always giving an easy option. And you can ignore them fif you really are too lazy to use Config.

I ignore them until I've broken through all the major progression barriers and then

go back and loot them all for safes and bookshelves to smelt down for steel - I'm

far too addicted to large railcraft tanks, and otherwise making 6 steel at a time in

the crucible means spending days doing nothing but make steel.

Feels legit so long as I don't use it to skip over iridium, aluminium, titanium, tungsten,

etc. processing lines with looted items. Plus, how else are we supposed to get those

sweet refillable lighters?

Just in terms of balance: yes, the strongholds are absolutely packed with wealth, but

try to compare GT6 strongholds and GT6 gameplay to vanilla strongholds/dungeons

and vanilla gameplay. Other than randomly giving me an essentially inexhaustible

supply of manganese, looting strongholds had only a very modest impact on either

of my last two games - I still had to dig out and process a ton of every other material

the hard way.

So... construction foam vs. concrete? Pros/cons?

The big one is that foam can be applied to pipes/wires etc.

You can also apply it to scaffolding and then add covers.

Foam has twice the blast resistance, but concrete is already creeper proof

- so the difference only matters in PvP or when shielding a reactor.

Concrete is a much easier to make and a fair bit easier to make in bulk.

Aesthetically, I've built two almost identical buildings, the first with an interior

made of construction foam, the second (seen in my avatar) with an interior

made of concrete - the grid lines on the foam can look overly busy, while the

concrete can look a little plain. However, it is possible to add geometry to

break up the concrete surfaces and make them look more interesting, while

there is little you can do about the construction foam (unless you make the

whole building from foam covered scaffolding then apply decorative covers

over the top).

Hi all, I would like to ask if the gameplay with other mods (Rotarycraft, IC2, Railcraft, Buildraft, Electricraft) Is a good Idea or the pure gregtech experience is just better? Or perhaps it depends on preference I do not yet have and I must answer the question myself?

There are a number of recommended mods on the GT6 download page and Greg

has put quite a bit of time into compatibility with other mods - I don't think a "pure"

GT6 experience is necessarily the recommended experience. That said, it will

obviously depend upon personal preference, and Greg has also put considerable

time into making GT6 function as a standalone mod, independent even of

IndustrialCraft (for which GregTech was originally an addon).

From the list you give, I use 3 of those mods for individual features not present in

GT6 (Quantum Suit, nuclear reactors, tanks with fully rendered contents, and the

quarry). However those mods also add overlapping features that are better just

ignored if playing with GT6 (IC2 machines, BuildCraft oil, etc.).

One category of mods that I would recommend very highly is some kind of Redstone

logic mod. GregTech is at its best when "making things easier the hard way" - fully

automating your production lines is both a challenging and rewarding experience.

Pure GT6 redstone logic has improved over time, but there is still much to be gained

from adding a mod such as RedPower.