Posts by CSieg

Rocketpower addon? Auto-miner? What is this sorcery, can you link to the mod please. I'd love to check that out. From what you're saying it would basically be a RP2 frame driven miner. Sounds quite nice... but of course the question is, does it work for 1.4.2/.108?

Sorry, I meant the Rocket Science addon. It adds long range missiles, a fusion reactor, the mobile autominer, and some other random stuff. I'm not sure what it's updated to, as I'm still on Minecraft 1.2.5. I know there was takeover in progress, no idea how far it's progressed.

Original thread:
    [Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

Takeover thread:
    Rocket Science IC2-based Takeover IC2 [103]Needs Friendly Helpers

Simplicity rules for me. I don't need to do anything overly complicated or compact so I don't care about having the most efficient or lag free design.

I use RP2 tubes for automated storage and that's it. They're absolutely wonderful for this. Have a network of tubes attached to chests and anything entering the system will be stored in a quick and compact manner. No sorting or micro-management needed. The chests won't be organized in any way but that's where...

BC and Logistics pipes are the simplest way to transfer items to where you need them. I hook a provider pipe up to every storage chest and a request pipe to anywhere I want materials. Easy. I put up kiosks in high traffic areas and simply order any random items I may need. My chests don't need to be organized in any way when I can have a list view of every item available in my network.

In my opinion, the only people who are serious about dropping BC are the extreme design folks. If you're interesting in building the ultimate machine that does everything you want without lagging, RP2 is probably superior. If you're an average user that just wants to accomplish a goal, BC seems like the easier way to do it.

My normal IC2 routine involves building a large central power plant, running cables all over town, and simply letting the machines take what they need and keeping up with demand. On my latest world, I'm constructing individual power sources that suit that building's needs. I'm actually having a lot of fun doing it as it gets me to consider alternate energy sources and look at things like peak and average power consumption. The downside is that I'm wasting a lot of resources building mini power plants that are generally more powerful than the building needs, so excess production is wasted.

So, what style do you prefer and why?

I like your town. I had never thought of running cables above ground for aesthetics, I always run mine under roads.

One question I have is why bother downloading Compact Solars if you're playing in creative mode? It really doesn't matter how much power you're putting out when you're not actually using any.

Just wanted to say I absolutely love this addon. I'm finding the most practical use with the flying autominers, but I am starting to expand my nuclear facility a bit.

Just one question, is it possible to sustain a tritium reaction using UU-matter or other means to supply the necessary materials? Or, is it best just to automate the fusion reactor using deuterium and use gathered materials for tritium whenever I want a power boost?

So, right now we have two options for keeping hostile mobs from spawning in our base.

1. Build underground
    2. Place lights in every nook and cranny a mob could possibly spawn in, then hope for the best.

Now, I like to build above ground. Despite my well fortified city walls, I'm plagued by monsters popping out of alleys and rooftops, usually blowing me up as I'm putting finishing touches on something important like a nuclear reactor or MFSU. Since wiring luminators everywhere is problematic, I end up using torches and stone-aging up my industrial civilization.

My suggestion is a spawn blocking machine. A fairly expensive machine that draws a steady supply of power to block all mobs from spawning within a reasonable area.

An example recipe:
    :Refined Iron: MinecraftSlime :Refined Iron:
    MinecraftSlime :Industrial Diamond: MinecraftSlime
    :Refined Iron: MinecraftSlime :Refined Iron:
    Slime Balls = Ender Pearls (They control teleportation of mobs, right?)

Example EU Consumption:
    10 Eu/t to disable spawning for 20 blocks in every direction.

So...pretty expensive, but not unbearably so. You could afford to place them around your base, but, you probably won't want to line mine shafts with them or anything and you'll still need to build walls to keep mobs from walking in.

So what do yo guys think of the wireless idea? I thought it was really the only way to make modern lights compete with torches (without making them burn out.)

I love the idea of a meltdown or improperly wired explosion causing blackouts around my base. I would probably even have a backup generator to power the most important lights until I could restore power and turn everything on. But, I don't care for the idea of running cable to each of my hundreds of lights, requiring me to either hide them with 3 meter thick walls or live in a crazy steampunk town with wires going absolutely everywhere.

I know that IC2 already has luminators, but, I find myself rarely using them due to the expenses and difficulty of hiding wiring while still making structures aesthetically pleasing. It's so much easier and cheaper to just use the old fashioned torch.

My suggestion:
    A cheap modern light that doesn't require wiring. It should act just like a torch but without particle effects and you can place it on ceilings. Crafted with glass, redstone, and tin cable.

There are two ways to handle energy consumption.
    A.) It's free, as the inherent electrical energy contained in redstone is enough to power a light. Maybe you would have to refine the redstone further to explain the greater light levels than a redstone torch.
    B.) Wireless energy transfer using a similar system to teleport pipes. Select the power source(s) you want your lights to draw from and have them transmit on the same frequency as the lights. I understand you don't want energy teleportation, but we're trying to make these lights compete with torches.

Personally, I would love for my lights to use electricity and have torches burn out over time. This would make modern lights an obvious upgrade, but, with the threat of blackouts. But, I understand that would be much more difficult to implement than what amounts to a new texture and recipe for torches.