Posts by theJ89

I've seen the mysterious "Photon" ore before as well in some previous playthroughs. I seem to recall thinking at the time that this had something to do with GregTech ores being tile entities, and mods not knowing how to properly place or move them. IIRC, the block ID determines the type of stone / sand the ore is embedded in, but the ore material is determined by tile entity data. I'm guessing that when the tile entity data is missing Minecraft generates new tile entity data with default values? There's a couple mods I know of that can cause that:

I seem to recall that if a tornado (from Corosus's "Weather & Tornadoes" mod) picked up say, a GregTech "Small Sphalerite Sand Ore" block, that when it landed it would be a "Small Photon Sand Ore" block.

This can also happen with RF Tools; if you find a dimlet (which are essentially the same as the pages you find in Mystcraft) for a GregTech ore and try to use one to build an RF Tools dimension, it would attempt to add the GregTech ores to the dimension but they'd all wind up as "Photon" ores.

Ah okay. I wasn't aware that it would cause issues with the build system, my bad. As for the lost dates for the old GT versions, I was able to find that Forge Files page you were talking about here. Looks like the original dates are still available. Here's the release dates for each version if you're looking to restore them:

Edit:

As for the Balkon's Weapon Mod thread, Wayback Machine's got you covered. The only bad thing about finding MCF threads on Wayback is that you need to know the exact URL, which is sometimes difficult due to the SEO Minecraft Forum applies to the thread URLs, and due to the multiple forum software changes over the years.

Hey Greg, in light of some semi-recent data-loss events affecting the modded Minecraft ecosystem (e.g. Minecraft Forum's recent destruction of old threads posted by its EU users, Dropbox disabling public links in 2017, MediaFire deleting old uploads, etc) I've been working to preserve as much of it as I can before a similar event causes even more mods to be lost. That being said, I've backed up all the artifacts (mod, core, api, source, default config pack, etc) for the GregTech versions I could find on your site just in case things go sideways at some point in the future.

For each mod version I've downloaded, I've also been recording the release dates for those versions, but I noticed that some of the release dates on the site are probably not accurate (specifically for versions 5.04.00 to 6.02.07 on the 1.7.10 download page; those dates are all within a few minutes of one another, which doesn't really make sense given your weekly update schedule). I'm guessing these were created before you had your current site, and you transferred them over from somewhere else. If you transferred them over FTP with something like FileZilla, be aware that by default it doesn't copy the original file modification dates when you transfer the files from one machine to the other. You can enable this with the Transfer > Preserve Timestamps of Transferred Files menu option.

I've also noticed that the release dates on your download page are presented in the server's local time (which is either PST (UTC-8) or PDT (UTC-7) depending on whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect) as opposed to something more neutral and unaffected by Daylight Savings Time like UTC. To make the dates more automation-friendly, Check out the <time> element here. You can use it to display a user-friendly local date (e.g. 03/14/2019 09:57:40 AM), while also storing a machine-friendly global date (e.g. 2019-03-14T16:57:40Z) in its datetime attribute.

The other thing I wanted to bring to your attention: I took a peek at the files inside of one of the .jars for a recent version of GregTech (6.10.07), and it looks like since you switched to the new build system, the timestamps for the files in the .jars are all invalid (they're all 1970-01-01T00:00:00). Usually when I can't find an "official" release date for a mod version, I can get a somewhat more accurate date by opening the .jar or .zip and finding the maximum timestamp, but that only works if the software that generated the archive bothered to include timestamps (though I think some build systems may intentionally disable this in the interest of reproducible builds). If it's possible to do so, could I trouble you to enable timestamps again, just in case the original release dates are ever lost?

Thanks,

--theJ89.

The Linux desktop experience has improved a lot over the past decade or so. My dad is a non-technical computer user. A couple of years ago, my dad's aging Windows PC got hit with malware. After that happened, I built him a new PC and set him up with Linux Mint and he loves it. He mostly uses it to browse the web, check his email, and print pictures and for the most part, he hasn't ran into any trouble there. The worst thing I could say (comparing Linux Mint to Windows) is that getting documents / pictures to print the way you want them to is harder than it needs to be. Occasionally I'll need to help him out with installing software. For example, he's an amateur radio operator and wanted to download EchoLink, but the official software only runs on Windows so I set him up with an open-source alternative that runs on linux, Qtel. Thanks to Package Managers, installing and keeping software up to date on Linux is often easier and more streamlined than on Windows, but there was no package for Qtel at the time so I had to build it from source. It took me about 2/3 hours to straighten everything out, but for a non-technical user it would have been much harder or (at my dad's age) impossible.

I'm a long-time Windows user that started dabbling with Linux around 2011 (my webserver runs Arch Linux). My main PC runs Windows 7, but after it dies or Microsoft stops supporting it, I plan to switch over to Linux full time. I hate the way Windows 8 looks, and I hate that they kept that look in Windows 10. Despite some significant improvements (e.g. the Ubuntu subsystem, the shift away from cmd.exe to PowerShell, etc.), Windows 10 made a lot of user-hostile changes. Telemetry and forced updates are two of these changes that I despise the most. It's your system, it's your data. You should be in control of that, but Microsoft has taken that away from its users. Fuck that.

My biggest criticism of Curse (as a consumer rather than a creator) is that they are too big and control too much of the Minecraft community. Curse is probably the biggest distributor for Minecraft mods on the web, and in many cases the only place you can find a (legitimate/safe copy of) a mod. They also run the Minecraft Forum, the official Minecraft Wiki, the FTB forums, and the official FTB Wiki. And now, they're owned by Twitch, which is in turn owned by Amazon, a scummy corporation that cares about these sites about as little as it cares about its own employees. Everybody takes the availability of the third-party content Curse hosts for granted, but I'm afraid that as Minecraft continues to decline in popularity, Amazon, Twitch, or Curse will decide that it's not worth the effort to continue supporting these sites and simply shut them down. If that happens, users stand to lose a great deal of the modded Minecraft ecosystem to the sands of time, and the good times we had would become something we could never relive or share with future generations.

what the heck is Plus-Minus-700-Kelvin-Degree? This sounds like a joke but I really dont get your sentence there. Please elaborate.

I think he's saying that he's trying to make rubber by putting latex in a crucible and raising the temperature to ~700 K.

That won't work, you need to put the latex into a coagulator. The coagulator will slowly turn the latex into rubber chips (nuggets) over time; you can then put those nuggets into a steel extruder (with a low-heat extruder shape that produces plates) to make rubber sheets (plates). You can make your nuggets into plates in the crucible as well, but I don't recommend that because when melting rubber in a crucible, some fraction (something like 1/2 or 1/3) will just evaporate as soon as it melts.

Yeah, the output of engines (note: see above post), turbines, dynamos, and other energy conversion devices all scale proportionally with their input (2x the steam = 2x the RU and so on), so you'd get 20 RU if you supplied 60 Steam.

And yeah, machines process recipes faster if you give them more energy than they require; processing time is inversely proportional to the energy provided. For example, making Dough in a Mixer (Bronze) takes 16 ticks at a rate of 16 GU/t (GU = generic units, 1 GU = 1 RU = 1 KU = 1 HU = ... etc). If you were to supply 4x the energy (64 GU/t) to the mixer, then it would only take 1/4th of the time (4 ticks).

As for doing lower-tier recipes in higher tier machines, I believe for each tier above the minimum, the energy costs quadruples but the processing time only halves (Greg can confirm this), so essentially you lose half of the energy in the process. Going back to the Dough-making example, say we switched to a Mixer (Steel). Now, making dough requires a minimum of 64 GU/t and takes 8 ticks to complete. This is kind of interesting because it gives you a reason (energy efficiency) to keep around your lower tier machines while still offering an incentive (speed) to make higher tier machines.

I also am a bit confused with steam behavior. Is it viable to connect several machines and several boilers with one pipe, or this will lead to imbalanced usage of the steam?

For example, I have a steel engine (64 Steam/t) and bronze turbine (48 Steam/t). Can I supply them both with one strong invar boiler (128 Steam/t)? Or both steam consumers will get 64 Steam/t?

When it comes to the fluid pipes there's not any routing going on, fluids just move through the pipe to wherever there is space for them. That also means they don't strictly flow from producer to consumer - they can "slosh" back and forth throughout your pipes, so the amount of steam your turbines / engines are getting can fluctuate from tick to tick.

Engines and turbines can handle between half and double of their recommended Steam/t; if you supply more than that, they'll still accept it but the engine / turbine will stop operating (you'll hear the machine failure sound). That can be really dangerous - when engines stop operating, they won't restart on their own (you'll have to use a soft hammer or break/replace them to reset them) and they stop consuming steam, so steam can build up in your pipes and boilers and cause a boiler explosion (if you're paranoid about this, include a Pressure Valve on the pipe directly above each of your boilers). That being said, finding a way to control how steam is being distributed through your system is critical.

I've found the simplest, most reliable thing to do is use a single boiler connected to a single engine/turbine, without pipes if possible (to avoid having to worry about fluid pipe logistics). If this isn't an option (e.g. you need a downward-facing engine to power a squeezer), one way you can control the flow of steam is to carefully select fluid pipes according to their bandwidth.

So for example, I have a Strong Steam Boiler Tank (Bronze), that produces 192 Steam/t. I want to connect that to a Strong Steam Engine (Invar) that consumes "~100 Steam/t" (50-200 Steam/t), so we'll need pipes that can handle between 192 L/t and 200 L/t. Small Invar Fluid Pipes have a bandwidth of 200 L/t, so it's ideal for this.

Say instead of a single engine I wanted to connect it to two Steam Turbines (Bronze), that consume 24-96 Steam/t (consuming at most a total of 192 Steam/t, same as our boiler). We'd have to branch off from our main Small Invar Fluid Pipe with two smaller pipes to do this. To supply these turbines with the correct amount of steam, our smaller pipes need a bandwidth of 24-96 L/t. There are Tiny Invar Fluid Pipes, but those have slightly too much bandwidth (100 L/t), which would stop the turbine if they allowed that much steam to be delivered. Tiny Bronze Fluid Pipes have the most bandwidth without going over (75 L/t), but now we have another problem.

Even though the turbines are capable of consuming all of the Steam the boiler is producing, only 150 Steam/t (2*75 L/t) can make it to our turbines because of the pipes we're using to deliver it! Not only are the turbines operating at a fraction of their potential, steam is building up in the boiler because we're producing more per tick than we're consuming! We'll have to waste the excess steam the boiler is producing with a pressure valve on the pipe nearest to the boiler or risk a boiler explosion. There's really not a whole lot you can do about this, since you'd need pipes with a bandwidth of exactly 96 L/t, which don't exist. You could use better turbines (e.g. Steam Turbine (Brass), 36-144 Steam/t) and better pipes (Tiny Invar Fluid Pipe, 100 L/t) and not waste any steam, but now even though steam isn't being wasted, your turbines are operating at an even lower fraction of their potential. in short, sharing steam power across several boilers and engines/turbines is a complicated problem, and there's likely no perfect solution to it. Stick to one engine/turbine per steam setup to make your life easier.

So the air vent on the side of a roaster only dumps air in like every 30 seconds. It runs through it quickly, then waits a while before processing more.

Seems like you need a better Air Supply. Have you tried a Vent on a Drum or Pipe? Or two Vents? Or just using Oxygen since that is a Byproduct of basically everything later in the Game.

Just adding my 2¢ here. I just recently upgraded to the latest version, so I had to reconfigure my sulfuric acid setup to use air vents and ran into the same problem as you, but it was with a mixer making sulfur trioxide (I don't seem to have an issue with the roaster, but I'm guessing that's because there's only one MV electrolyzer dumping sulfur into it).

What I did wrong the first attempt was attaching the vent directly to the nonuple bronze pipe carrying the air + sulfur dioxide to the mixer. To fix it, I replaced the pipe with a tank extender (making sure the facings were directed towards the mixer), then connected the sulfur dioxide pipe to it, and attached the air vent directly to the extender. That moves about 16000 L of air into the mixer every 15 seconds, but you can increase that by adding more vents to the extender (each one adds another 16000 L). Screenshot:

There's a few benefits I've found to using an extender instead of a nonuple pipe / drum: You can avoid having to make filters, you can use plain ol' steel instead of stainless (though you wind up using 14 steel instead of 6 stainless steel), and you can direct the flow in whichever direction you choose (compare this to drums: liquids can only be output on the bottom side, and gases can either be output from both the top and bottom or not at all).

I'm starting to collect a lot of manganese from acid washing things. It seems you can't do anything else with it but make stainless steel, so why is it so much more common than chromium, which has other uses too?

You can make pyrolusite (manganese dioxide) from manganese by bathing it in water, which is required for alkaline batteries. You can also make tools from it which are slightly better than steel. Other than that, I don't know.

Edit:

I'm on the latest version now. Manganese can also be used for Lithium-Manganese batteries.

Not a European, but after reading through those links, man this proposed law is garbage.

The proposed reform would turn this on its head: FotoCommunity would now be obligated to actively prevent users from uploading anything rightholders had identified to FotoCommunity.

This is a huge engineering challenge: The site would need to develop a filter that checks each uploaded picture against a database of copyrighted pictures. YouTube, which runs a similar filter on uploaded videos to identify copyrighted music or clips, says it has spent more than 60 million dollars building this technology.

Just what the internet needs, more YouTube-like Content ID systems. These kinds of systems range from mostly to fully automated and lack the ability to contextualize, which conveniently allows "rights-holders" to abuse the system and disregard your rights to Fair Use. And since I'm guessing most startups don't have 60 million dollars to spend developing their own system, that'd force existing startups out of business and forbid new startups from entering the marketplace. More likely, if this goes through it would probably lead to the creation of some kind of third-party service that you'd have to pay on a monthly basis to ensure compliance (think Cloudflare, but instead of protecting you from DDoS they 'protect' you from getting sued for copyright infringement). Hard to say how much this would cost. Either way, it has the effect of limiting competition against large, established media conglomerates.

New obligation on web services: Article 13 of the proposed copyright reform directive introduces new obligations for “information society service providers that store and provide to the public access to large amounts of works or other subject-matter uploaded by their users” – contradicting Article 14 of the E-Commerce Directive, under which services hosting content are not liable for content uploaded by their users. Recital 38 tries to remove this liability exemption from any host provider which “plays an active role, including by optimising the presentation of the uploaded works or promoting them”.

Oh look, they're trying to make websites personally responsible for the actions of their users again. This sounds familiar. And what exactly qualifies as "optimising the presentation of the uploaded works"? Including the title of the work in the URL for SEO purposes? Displaying it on a page that makes it easy to navigate to other works the user has uploaded? And as for the "promotion" I assume this includes things like recommended videos / posts that appear in the sidebar/footer of a different post. That's vague enough it could apply to practically any website.

The obligation to scan all uploads would not just apply to commercial sites, but also to projects like Wikipedia that aren’t run for profit, and which expressly only allow uploads of photos licensed for public re-use. If found to be “providing access to large amounts of works uploaded by their users” they would still need to “prevent the availability of works identified by rightholders”.

On Wikipedia, volunteers may review newly uploaded images – but it’s doubtful whether this loose process would satisfy the new law. More likely, they would need to implement “effective content recognition technologies”.

So when a user publishes a Wikipedia article critical of a "rights-holder", that person/organization (or a non-rightsholder that is sympathetic to them) can just abuse the flawed automated takedown system to censor that criticism. Some scummy game developers have already done this on YouTube (remember Day One: Garry's Incident?). Wikipedia articles are also full of references and quotes to news sites. I take it a good portion of these would be considered "snippets", and each snippet published within the last 20 years would therefore be retroactively subject to these new publisher "link-tax" rights? Jesus christ.

So in there I have Check Recipe.zs and Gregtech.zs, which each have like one benign sounding thing. Other than that there is Computercraft.zs, Chisel.zs, Forestry.zs, OpenComputers.zs, Harvestcraft.zs, and Railcraft.zs. None of them mention "storage".

If it's not being removed by Minetweaker, it could be removed through AE2's config file. Check (your minecraft folder)/config/AppliedEnergistics2/AppliedEnergistics2.cfg.

There's a section in this file where storage cells can presumably be enabled (true) / or disabled (false):

Code
    1. features {
    2. ...
    3. storage {
    4. ...
    5. B:StorageCells=true
    6. }
    7. ...
    8. }

Failing that, here are the IDs for the 1k, 4k, 16k, and 64k storage cells. If you have some kind of utility that lets you search the contents of several files at once, try looking for these strings:

appliedenergistics2:item.ItemBasicStorageCell.1k

appliedenergistics2:item.ItemBasicStorageCell.4k

appliedenergistics2:item.ItemBasicStorageCell.16k

appliedenergistics2:item.ItemBasicStorageCell.64k

Here are screen shots of my sulfuric acid setup. The right one shows the LV heater and roasting oven making the sulfur and air into sulfur dioxide. That goes out the top through bronze pipes into the mixer that combines it with more air to make sulfur trioxide, then into the mixer making sulfuric acid. That then goes out the back into stainless steel pipes over to the bath ( currently elsewhere making alimiunum ) and that empties into the nonouple stainless pipe below that has a filter to let the hydrogen out into the tank and the not hydrogen into the mv electrolyzer. The electrolyzer feeds the sulfur back into the oven, and the oxygen into the tank next to it.

That's more or less the same workflow I've got with mine, but I like how you have the back of the sulfur trioxide mixer directly emptying into the left side of the sulfuric acid mixer like that. I wish I had thought of that when I was building mine, it would have simplified the design a lot. As for dealing with excess hydrogen/oxygen, I basically do what you do but I put a huge bronze pipe/huge invar pipe with an open side and a pressure valve there instead of a drum. That way when the pipe fills up it vents the excess gas instead of backlogging it in your machines. If you want to collect it in a drum, you can attach one to the open side of the pipe, then when the drum finally fills up, it goes back to filling the pipe which will vent the overflow. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean; the huge bronze pipe is for hydrogen, the huge invar pipe is for oxygen. The open side is on the bottom; the drum on top of the hydrogen pipe is set to output on the bottom; it's just there to ensure the hydrogen flows in a single direction:

MffLTdd.png

The nonuple part isnt the problem, the Stainless Part is. A nonuple Bronze Pipe would have worked for the water. A Rule of thumb is "larger Pipes always fill smaller Pipes but not the other way around"

Right, I get that part. What I don't get is why the sulfur trioxide stopped flowing. Reviewing the screenshot from before, there shouldn't be any flow problem with sulfur trioxide: it should go from the first mixer, to the bottom nonuple pipe, then the top nonuple pipe, then through the filter into the second mixer. Instead, the first mixer fills up the bottom nonuple pipe with 500 L of Sulfur Trioxide, which stops moving there. Fixing the issue with the water also fixes the issue with the sulfur trioxide not flowing for some reason.

Okay, just tested your suggestions. The small pipes did contain water, and replacing them with larger pipes (normal-sized bronze fluid pipes) does indeed fix things. I still feel like I'm not understanding things though. Why do all of the fluids in the nonuple fluid pipe stop flowing when using wrong configuration? I was under the impression that the nonuple pipes were treated as if they were nine separate pipes, but it seems like something happening on one pipe can have an effect on the others.