Posts by Exiton

I wanted to start learning the IC2 crop systems so i went to the wiki where i usually get my info. Found nothing useful except the recipe for the crop stix. Then i found this thread, good job gathering all this info. I may take this an write a wiki article using it to help people out if that's ok. Unless someone else was planning on doing it.

I tried the electric fence and quite like it, much easier to implement. One thing i did to reduce power usage was to build a light sensor so that the fence only turns on at night when mobs spawn. Hooked up a solar cell to a bat box putting a detector cable between the two and a heavy drain on the box so it will charge all day, 4 or 5 illuminators will do it. You can then use the red stone output on the detector to control the fence power using a splitter cable.

This cuts power consumption in half making a large network much more manageable. The problem i have is that there are still a few mobs around in the morning when the fence shuts down.

Ill try the re-bat trick and see if that works but to be honest this is on a creative server where we are just playing around with the mod. Now that i started a single player survival game it seems stupid to waste a solar cell on a single street light, just way to expensive in resources. This is an awesome mod but im a little underwhelmed with the illuminators. All the other things in the mod make our life easier or do new things. This is an overly complicated replacement for a torch, they need to have increased light range or some other advantage.

Just created an account on the wiki and was looking for this very questions. I have been an editor on 4 or 5 wikis in the past and i must say i have never come across one that doesn't allow new users to create pages. Where you getting a lot of problems with vandalisim? Also where is this written on the wiki. The front page has no information for new editors which it really should have if you want more people to help with the wiki. A nice big, "New to the Wiki? Go here" link to a page that explains editing and such.

To expensive
    Tesla coils need to be de-nerfed. I want to be sending jolts of energy at least ten blocks.

Well yes i did say this is a cheaper alternative at the beginning of my post but Tesla Coils are not bad, mostly red stone and iron with some copper wires. No need for diamond or having to go to the neather for glow stone or advanced alloys. But still no ware as cheep as bare wires.

The problem i see with increasing the range to 10 is that it would be hard to make a nice controlled perimeter to your base. you would have to keep the coils far away from your perimter fence adding other costs to power and control them. More wires with increased loss. Also the killing zone would be huge making them fires constantly when there is no one near your base. IF they had that large an area they would need some sort of Friend or Foe targeting so that you don't zap friendlies and animals. I would rather they have a smaller area but be cheaper so you could use precision placement. I'm actually starting to like this HV cable solution, i may try it out.

Defiantly cheaper but not as fun as my network of buried tesla coils. Also the tesla coils may be more efficent. They do use 5000Eu a shot but only use 2Eu/t when they are not doing anything so in the long run it may be more energy efficient.

I have been using a bat box embedded in the ceiling conncected to a solar cell above it on the roof but im not happy with that setup. It seems like a waste of a bat box. I tried connecting the light right to the solar panel which should work but it doesn't.

The illuminator uses 1/4Eu/t and stores 10000Eu. A solar cell produces 1Eu/t so it should be able to charge the Illuminator up and have it run perminatly. All that happens is the light flickers during the day. All i can figure is that the illuminator is only drawing the 1/4 Eu from the cell but when i hook it up to a bat box it draws the full 32Eu/t packets charging up the pannle to full. Does anyone know why you can't just hook an illuminator directly to a solar panel?