Posts by Jemulov

I like the concept you have, but I'm unsure how you essentially creating a book then reading it makes you smarter. Making/writing a book assumes you already have the knowledge tucked away in your brain. I could see something like this in the library stronghold though. Perhaps an additional bonus for exploring them in IC for 1.8, currently they only have regular books and maps in them.

yeah,but you'd be losing more energy than your making.

I don't think you're just reacting tin with your nuclear reactors. Yes the mass fabricator uses a lot of energy, but if you know the recipe for making tin from matter, it shouldn't be too costly to run it a few times when you have a recycler to feed it scrap. Assuming you aren't running a dozen of them like IC_Pandemonium suggested.

There are different stone mods, as well as various texture packs to facilitate your need for marble. I don't want to sound like a stickler, but this is Industrialcraft. Try to keep the suggestions more related to what the mod is geared for; using vast amounts of resources to produce a few specialized things.

I assume you mean sandstone, not limestone?

Also, what he said.

If you're going to keep an extra slot occupied with an additional tool just for specific block mining, why not just keep another batpack handy for when you run out of energy?

I do this and eventually have so many stacks of cobblestone, dirt, and gravel in my inventory that I just throw it away in lieu of collecting more ore.

Use a separate .jar file for your mod and another for vanilla minecraft. Talk to your brother about this and do some research as far as how to switch out mods. I'm not quite certain my suggestion is the correct way to go about this, but it's in that general direction with manipulating your minecraft files to produce that result.

I hope this helps alleviate that sibling conflict that can arise from these sorts of problems :thumbup:

The problem with prepainted wire is what do you do when you need red wire but all you have is yellow wire? Or what if you want unpainted wire and don't have the resources to make it? What about crafting things that require wire? You can't mix and match different kinds of materials with our current crafting system, even though they serve the same purpose. We would need a bunch of different craft recipes that make the same thing just to allow for colored cables in your inventory.

I think the current system is just fine. It sounds like you aren't planning your wiring too well. :(

What about using charcoal or charcoal dust as an ingredient for gunpowder? We currently have coal dust and redstone as our source other than creepers. Since real gunpowder uses charcoal, (as well as saltpeter and sulphur, but we don't have that currently) I think it would be ideal since using dynamite for mining is a little hard at the moment even though we have a lot of nice things to make with it.

The recipe can go as follows:
    Charcoal Dust, Redstone
    RCR
    CRC
    RCR

The result should yield just 1 gunpowder instead of the current 3 for the coal dust recipe for balance reasons. I don't think it takes too much away from coal's usefulness, since it still takes an entire stack to make a diamond, and several stacks to make the carbon plates for a suit of nano armor in addition to the energy crystals needed to power it, as well as the MFE to charge it.

Electric generators run on the principle, as you said, of converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done with dynamos/alternators which are very much similar to electric motors. The difference is which end provides power and a few mechanical things that can be glossed over for the sake of building (differences in using AC vs DC). These things could be added to our list of components to build things out of and could be made cheaply. We could use the motors in other things like our drills, chainsaws, automated miners, macerators, pumps, etc. instead of electronic circuits.

For example, we make an electric motor from insulated copper wire and a single ingot of iron.
    Wire, iRon
    WRW

Then build some means to provide mechanical energy such as a turbine. Since tin is a catch-all for metal usage we'll probably just make it out of that, but in reality it's not very strong, and Iron seems to be to important to waste material. I don't want to use wood in a nuclear reactor do you? We could make it out of bronze, there isn't too much use for it yet and real bronze is used in applications requiring resistance to corrosion, but making bronze requires machines to do so (in my opinion bronze should be more accessible since it was in wide use before iron was made)

So we could have something like this for a turbine:
    Bronze, _: Empty
    B_B
    _B_
    B_B

These can be combined to make a single dynamo item, then added to a furnace and a rechargeable battery in place of the machine block to make the furnace generator we all start out with:
    Rebattery, Dynamo, Furnace _: Space
    _R_
    _D_
    _F_

Since what I think Alblaka was going for in our solar panels was a photovoltaic source of electricity and not a solar heater, (the latter requires a generator and the former, photovoltaic cells) I think we should eschew the generator block and put a rechargeable battery in there. To make up for the material cost cost, I propose we have a craft tree for making photovoltaic cells and arrays out of glass since in real life they are made of crystalline silicon and glass. Pure silicon is made by reacting silicon dioxide (glass) with carbon (charcoal/coal) in a furnace, but we could just stuff a bunch of glass into a compressor and say it's turning it into silicon wafers. We can layer 6 wafers with 3 glass to make 1 photovoltaic cell like so:
    Silicon Wafer, Glass
    SSS
    GGG
    SSS

and combine 9 cells into 1 array:
    Photovoltaic Cell
    CCC
    CCC
    CCC

Then build a solar panel like this:
    Glass,Photovoltaic Array, Copper Cable, Rebattery
    GGG
    AAA
    CRC

In addition we have silicon to make electric circuits out of instead of our precious refined iron.

Well the block loss isn't too big of a deal if you aren't using your mining laser on ores. You can just switch to a diamond drill to mine the ore and leave the laser for carving out normal rock. I'm sure you won't miss a few pieces of cobblestone.

What you're talking about would be quite similar to a ball mill. They constantly run and pulverize material fed into it, and are used extesnsively for ore processing. As far as similarities to the induction furnace, I don't think it should have 2 slots for item processing.

Okay so what you're basically suggesting is asphalt concrete or, through common use, asphalt or blacktop. Real world asphalt concrete requires aggregate and some sort of tar product. As far as nomenclature is concerned there are many names for these products and they don't fall under a specific word, but what they have in common is that they are all highly viscous polymerized carbon molecules produced by heating carbonaceous material in the absence of oxygen. This can be done in the earth (petroleum and coal deposits buried in rock) or by heating biomass in and enclosed vessel.

Now as far as Industrialcraft is concerned, we have a short list of things that can produce this kind of material.

Coal
    Charcoal
    Wood
    Rubber tree wood
    Rubber

Now currently, putting regular wood and rubber tree wood in a furnace produces charcoal and regular wood respectively. I don't think that should change. Currently there is little use for charcoal other than making torches, and saving your coal for more important things like diamonds. Perhaps combining it with rubber or resin to produce some sort of polymer matrix and compressing or extracting it could make something akin to tar, or just putting wood in a compressor could produce it, assuming the compressor compresses AND heats objects in it.

Coal tar is made by heating coal in a closed vessel until certain hydrocarbons evaporate out of it, then are distilled in a way similar to petroleum products. Perhaps putting coal in a furnace top (heating coal up not burning it outright) could produce tar as well.

The bulk of concrete asphalt is aggregate. So crafting it should take 1 tar vs a bulk of gravel, and since we need to pour it, a bucket.

So something like this:
    G:Gravel T:Tar B:Bucket

GGG
    GTG
    GBG