Posts by Appleblomb

I have looked over the changelog and searched in the forums for this and haven't found anything about it yet. I think it would be useful for automation to have pumps accept glass bottles and pump water in to them. Would allow for easier production of potions. It allows one to for example have fire resistance potions in the nether with a lappack and still not get overly damaged while taking your q-chestplate off. And night vision potions would still be useful for swimming under water with a q-helmet. Shouldn't be a total pain to code either. Just check that the pump is pumping water and allow to accept glass bottles and output water filled bottles.

Thanks,
    Appleblomb

I would like to know are you with AppleBomb? Because he and a few others started a github on continueing Rocket Science and got permission from the original creator, You should join up with them and show them the progress you made with this addon. Also I am the one who will be doing any textures for new blocks for them

I am currently not able to work on the source since I haven't been able to get ic2 to decompile but more so because I am in school again. I will possibly return during our next time off, hopefully to get SMP working so it can be ported to Minecraft 1.3 if it hasn't been done yet. (I would imagine ic2 would have a 1.3 release by then.) Most of my interest in rocket science was power generation, so after everything gets updated, more than likely I will do some research in to nuclear fission reacting and add some more materials and fuels with fairly realistic outputs.

1. I don't have a link to the Github I think.
    2. We do, infact everyone does. He released it as Open Source for the purpose that it he could not continue it on. That he had too much on his plate and had to drop this project but did not want it to die out.
    3. From what ive seen this is just a direct port to 1.103, SMP support is planned for the future since it is required to work with Minecraft 1.3. I can't give a time since I am not working on it, you would have to ask the active team.
    4. As of now no, but nothing is stopping him from returning or joining the current team.

I would also like to note that I may not return to this project. My interest as of late has been dropping in it. Like I said I was mainly in it for the power, I have since joined the master race of fission reactors. After I do some testing I more than likely will build some CASUC reactors that have amazing EU output. A little more costly and interesting to do since I have BC2 and not Redpower2. Since I still do have interest in warfare, and can't wait for industrium conflict, I might be able to sit down and code some of this since it does provide an interesting aspect to war that will most likely not be included in that update.

If anyone else has any questions for me, feel free to leave me a message.

The debt problem could be simply solved with a server config option. Later on if the demand is for a more complex system then it can be implemented at the time and effort of the devs. But for now just a simple "Dont allow users to have less than x dollars" should suffice. I am all for a credit card for ic2, would make things easy to keep track of. As long as at some point players can have more than one account. Like savings and checking. Maybe even include loaning from players that act like banks. Could be interesting depending on how it gets implemented. Good suggestion though.

Wow, this is really well thought out! I like the idea of a new endgame time killer. Agriculture didn't really do it for me besides wanting coffee beans. Then you can implement gasses without blocks, and we could see some really cool stuff. <.< Tritium sights for guns in industrium conflict *cough*

Wow this is a great addon! Totally installing this after the rest of my addons get updated. Massive EU storage in chests? Sign me up! Makes things a bit more limited with flying in survival since I have to use a different mod to provide flying in smp with no cost, I would prefer to do it with a high EU cost and be able to justify it instead of OP FLYING HAX. I do like the idea of a matching suit though, it would look nicer that way. I do support the use of uranium somehow in this since I have been accumulating it without the use of reactors.

*Random Idea* A fast, EU powered speed boat, with multiple seats would be nice. What could be better than a few friends, some fishing poles, and a six pack of beer right? Or maybe for raiding missions with a team on underwater bases as a more practical application. Even better if it has laser guns, but then we are leaking on to Industrium Conflict territory. Maybe press a customizable button to access the boat's inventory and charge it with items. Not sure how the boat would be crafted,more than likely with many stages to make the cost keep it from being OP, but would provably include a grav engine or two and multiple advanced lappacks. It wouldn't fly but it would be supporting enough weight to provide forward momentum.

If mounted guns were implemented id imagine it as being crafted from a mining laser with some power items and maybe other advanced materials. Then it would either be crafted with the boat for simplicity or have a slot in the boat's inventory for mounting. Then the laser would drain from the boat's main storage for each shot. The boat might also have a small inventory for storing extra power packs or other items.

Also maybe have a block that can be placed to automatically charge it when it is within a few blocks. That way you can feed your power generation to a harbor and have a boat that will charge itself without having to worry about feeding charge items in to it, but it would have to be well hidden on smp. Just some food for thought since the idea of expanding the mod beyond armor in to super tech inspired me. I know the boat would be a monster to code, yet alone design but how about a nice challenge?

EDIT: Broke up the text wall, this is what happens when I get two hours of sleep and try to post somewhere.

Github is a wonderful idea, I was going to suggest some sort of version control but I got beat to it. I'm more used to svn style management but I will figure out git when I have the time. Might be a week or so before I can fully sit down and get the IC2 source decompiled and get a full dev environment working, just depends on what comes up. If anyone knows of a guide how to do that I would greatly appreciate it, I can get forge working I just haven't played with the full IC2 code yet beyond the API. Let me know if you guys(or gals) want to get together somehow so we can start working on this as a team rather than have 3 or so separate versions. So that way once we have the github we can start sorting out priorities and make forward progress with the mod. I was thinking of getting it updated to the latest IC2 version first, then iron out any current bugs and maybe get some smp support working. Then that way we have a updated and strong base to start building new features on, because SMP support is pretty important imo. Then that way we have one version with the combined community effort that is stable and up to date. But this is just my two cents. PM me, and I will try to get this organized so we can start laying out a plan for anyone who wants to help. Especially because we need more than just coders, preferably some people who are good with sprites and music. Not bashing Kennington for his work, but I know personally I can barely art or music. But that is just me, I would like to get some input from the rest of you who are interested so we can get working on this. Maybe start an irc channel if one doesn't exist already so we can collaborate and work together. Probably one for the team working on it, and one general for suggestions and support. Well let me know if you guys are interested in collaborating and what your thoughts are.

I could see this as more of an addon, but with the ability to max out the stats (for a good energy cost ofcourse). That way for those who do want to go through agriculture pretty quick it would be an option, but shouldn't be a main IC2 machine.

I would appreciate it very much, I have had some ideas for addons for a very long time and I would like to try to implement some of them. I figure I will try to write a few of the simpler ones first before I go on to my mega ultra secret project (Hint: Something to do with vehicles :D ) To get some practice first, assuming I don't end up screaming in frustration and wiping out eclipse and mcp.

Damn. I'm willing to take over, help by other modders would be appreciated though.
    I've made Advanced Machines Original & Transformers - I hope that makes me qualify.
    Send me the source if you wish and I can start working on it.
    Thanks for all your great work!

I would be willing to try to help you on this, I have been looking at this mod for a long time and wanted it but couldn't due to lack of SMP support. Though I have played with it in ssp and loved it. I know java pretty well but have very limited minecraft modding experience. I have looked in to forge and the ic2 api and it all looks pretty simple. I haven't gotten a decompiled copy of ic2 working yet but I can get a forge environment setup. So I might need some help with that but I am more than willing to do my best to help. Send me a PM if you get the rocket science source and we can get working on this project.

Maybe have some sort of system to get Charcoal Blocks in to Empty Cells? Id like to see some crazy EU return on new superfuel. :thumbup: Probably won't happen since it could be considered OP but a boy can dream. Maybe run it through a canning machine with an empty cell or compress the blocks in to compressed coal pellets and have a shapeless with the empty cells? According to my math with 1 CoalBlock and 5 gunpowder you would get 215129.6 eu from a fuel can and 329280 eu from 3 coalblocks and 3 gunpowder. Just think about it.

EDIT: I would also like to offer some help if you would like it. I know java pretty well, but am new to minecraft modding and ic2 modding, though the code seems easy enough as far as minecraft forge and the ic2 api go. If we need more than the api (which I am assuming we will, I will have to look in to getting the rest of the code somehow, assuming it is allowed).

Another option, if you don't like ccsensors would be to use one of those power detection cables that emits redstone if EU is flowing. If you can build a fairly lossless system and know how much eu/t you are pumping through the line you should be able to count the ticks the redstone is turned on for with a computer and using simple multiplication figure out what amount of EU has passed through the line. Not sure how accurate it would be since I haven't tested it, but might be worth investigating.

If i remember properly buildcraft supports nuclear reactors. Just use compressors with water cells or pumps to get snow and compress it again to get ice and pipe it in to the reactor. Automate it all with pipes and you should be set, if you need external cooling that bad on a reactor you should be able to net enough energy gain to make it worthwhile. But then again I don't play with reactors that much so you will have to figure it out.

nothings impossible if you believe it can happen.

Let me do everyone here a favor and just say this will not happen. First of all with my math I am assuming a chunk is 16x16 (I hope I remember correctly). Now for the 1000 block radius. Assuming you mean a circle that fits within 1000 blocks that would be 100x100 blocks. Which is about an area of 7x7 chunks or 49 chunks (100/16). While this may not be too bad on a server (My server usually bottlenecks around 8000 chunk cache) (also assuming chunk cache = loaded chunks) when you scale it up to 1,000,000 blocks thats 1000 x 1000 blocks. This is roughly 63 x 63 chunks (1000/16) which turns out to be 3969 chunks. Assuming my server is average, some will have worse or better, with these blocks only a few people will be able to play at a time, if it doesn't break servers. It screams OP with a roar. No matter how expensive you make something, people will find a way to mass produce it. The mod author has already stated that he will improve missile launching with future updates, but for now the priority is bug fixing and SMP. Not saying it is entirely a bad idea, but it is impractical with the current limitations of minecraft and most server hardware. Not to mention the missile defense system would have to also be buffed in power to be able to stop something like this. When they only can protect a 50 block range, this is a really bad idea. Especially cause if they have a decent defense, all you would have to do is spam missiles right outside of the range and blow a crater around so that he/she can't escape. Missile launching will get better with time, I'm sure future versions will impress us all. If you really want something like this this bad, learn java and code it! It is a great skill to know, and I find it fun.