Posts by FSund

if you had a diamond drill why didn't you have some energy crystals?^^

The difference in storage capability between of a energy crystal and a BatPack isn't really that big, so I did the test with the BatPack because that was what I had at the time.

Ye, a miner ~64 deep with diamond drill/OV uses around 500k EU. That is quite a bit. Honestly I have no idea how much a quarry uses in comparison. It's just less fuss putting up a quarry than a miner, with the added benefit of all the "junk" you recycle/EE or whatever you do it.

I'm trying to stick with just plain IC^2 for now (no addons), but thanks. But how do you handle lava/water when using the quarry? Is there something like the Pump that removes it automagically?

As others have said though, keep in mind one batpack won't be enough to power your miner for any long period of time, so it's best to invest those first few diamonds you get from the miner into making an energy crystal setup and then a lapotron setup.

I just did a test with a BatPack, and it powered a Miner w/OV and Diamond Drill (+ a Pump) for about 2 minutes and 15 seconds, so Lapotron Crystals definitely seems like the way to go.

Are there plans for making the Miner compatible with Transformer upgrades? I know that I can edit the config file to use Lapotron Crystals in Miners, but I think that's kind of cheating though. The Transformer upgrades work with a lot of other tier 1 machines, so I don't really see any reason that the Miner (and the Pump btw) shouldn't be.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll definitely get a good mining operation running now!

I think I can address one of your questions, regarding tier 1 energy storage, you could use a bat pack if you feel the diamond investment is too much initially. it's made from 6 batteries and as such carries 60000EU, but it only takes up one slot.

So I can just plug a BatPack into the lower slots of the Miner and the Pump? If so, that would definitely be a viable tier 1 solution to all this. I'll look into it when I get back home!

I just discovered IC^2 a couple of days ago, and have been enjoying it a lot!

I've been thinking about getting a good, easily movable Miner set up. What is the best way of doing this? I tried using Geothermal and Lava Cells from the Miner, but the amount of Lava it was producing weren't enough to keep it running.

I was thinking of having a large solar park in a desert somewhere, that charges Energy Crystals. Then I need the following for one moveable Miner setup:
    - Miner (w/Diamond Drill and OV Scanner)
    - Pump
    - (2x Chest)
    - MFE Unit
    - LV Transformer

I haven't done the calculations to see how many Solar Panels are needed to keep this up and running, but I think Energy Crystals can store enough energy that I don't need to change them too often. Any other suggestions?

In my opinion there should be a better Tech 1 mobile energy storage than batteries, because running a Miner with a Diamond Drill and OV Scanner on RE Batteries isn't a viable alternative.