New OD/OV scanner mechanics

• Am I correct that the mechanics of the OD/OV scanner has changed, along with the new GUI?

I was under the impression that the scanner used to look at all blocks below you, in a 5x5 or 9x9 square centered on you, and that the OD scanner reported quantity of ores, and the OV scanner reported value of ores.

It appears that now both scanners behave in the same way, except with a different radius. The OD scanner will search a 13x13x13 cube centered on the player, and the OV scanner searches 25x25x25.

Frankly, I find the OV scanner to be almost useless in its new form. Isn't the purpose of the scanner to help you locate valuable ores? Using it anywhere underground is likely to report so many ores from so far away, that it really isn't helping you find them at all. The OD scanner is more useful, because the scan range is small enough that at least you know the ores you've scanned are somewhat close. You can use it somewhat like TFC's prospector's pick, but it's still a lot of work.

Is there something I'm missing?

edit: I'm aware that using an OV scanner in a Miner is still a useful upgrade. I'm mostly interested in the hand-held usage.

On the chance that this turns into a feedback/suggestion thread (;)) I'd like to see the OV scanner have adjustable range, or an ability to scan an area *in front* of the player, instead of all around you.

• agreed its no longer looking down to find diamonds and other things..

Would love to know why the change and if something is planned to change it?

its purely the handheld issue..

however, the miners don't obey the rule either and "miss" things