I would like to get started making a varient of the mining drill that can be turned any of the six directions, defaulting to straight down like the normal drill. I have an idea of how I want to implement it, but the biggest problem for me is setting up the development environment so I can get started. I do know java, I just down't know how to decompile the source code, set up eclipse, the works.
Is there any handy refrences that I can use that will spell out all (or at least 90% of) the steps I'll need to take to set up the environment?
As for the the drill, these are the following main points I'm after and how it differs from the default.
- When the drill is first placed, it is in the same orientation as the standard drill, straight down (towards -y). A wrench can reorient it as needed (+/- X,Y,Z)
- Once a drill is started in a particular direction it should NOT be redirected to a different direction, not until the shaft is fully withdrawn.
- (optional) Going straight up takes more power then going down, as your working against gravity. Working sideways also takes more energy, both for gravity and for the length of the shaft.
- (optional) There will be a point where the power demand to dig horizontally will be too much, depending on the wiring and cabling infrastructure in place.
- (optional) An option in the gui for the driller will allow for it to just excavate all the blocks instead of just the precious ores and the intervening cobble stone from the drillhead to the ore. A horizontal driller with this option turned on can make tunnels depending on the scanner installed (none, OD, OV). (by comparison, Buildcraft's quarry is more flexible as to area coverage.)
- (optional) A possible limitation for horizontal drilling might be to require stone to support it every X distance, otherwise it will not continue as the weight of the shaft would break off at the tip due to lack of support.
I have the idea that this will require making a new drillhead block and horizontal mineshaft pieces if I can't reorient the pieces already in play to do what I need.
Suggestions will also be greately appreciated.