Mark 1 (CAC, CLC, CAMUC, errrr....reusable coolant) EA reactor

• Looking for an alternative to the power intensive ice based CASUC I came across this thread http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=4927 mentioning using cooling cells as a reusable coolant. this sounded like a good idea so I decided to try it. Turns out cooling cells are a terrible coolant because they can't pull heat from the reactor, requiring the use of a lot of IHDs. So I decided if I had to use IHDs why not just use them for the coolant? http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…5oejgrf3l0xy0uzubl1poop4m

So with a set of reactors for cooling you get 640eu/s Mark 1 (something not quite CASUC) EA reactor and a mess:

Using buildcraft 3.1.5 + additional pipes, Transformers v1.2 (awesome, especially the adjustable electric engine), Nuclear Control (awesome, stoped me leveling my designs many times), redpower logic+wires . some chests are not used as development is continuing.

Design is the same as a bucket CASUC, only as you have to totally remove the coolant before you can add more, you need to remove the old coolant really fast (and add new coolant fast unless you like lava, but not too fast or you will suck out fresh coolant while missing hot coolant :S).

Using the adjustable electric engine from transformers coupled to an advanced wood pipe from buildcraft additional pipes can empty the reactor in 5.1 seconds, total coolant change in 6 seconds.
    Changing every 4min has the reactor heating to 4500, ~6000 in the few seconds during the change(scarry part, no cooling), down to ~500 a couple seconds after the change. total power required to run the cooling system is ~50eu/s (still attempting to nail down a value, waiting for MFEUs to fully charge, suspect power usage is lower)

The only downside is the 600-700 IHDs needed to make it work (32 used in a change, ~10 changes occur during cooldown period, two full sets of coolant). Oh and the 1 hour cool down for the IHDs:http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…zihaky8wpu7w9cvsp0utl63p2 Note that I was having issues when a cooling cell was placed into the top left with the adv.wooden pipes not working.
    I suspect that the system will work with up to 19 uranium: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…rgm92ybh1pd02fkl7u79s3s52 But I don’t know, only 3 heat/t surplus for cooling, the IHDs may not draw enough heat to stop overheating long term(future experiment).

Next iteration will work on reducing number of IHDs needed to operate the system (target is less than 100) by making a coolant cell cycle. hot IHDs will enter the cooling reactors and cold coolant cells will be continuously cycled through to rapid cool the IHDs (coolant cells will in turn cool in their own cooling reactors...).

Anyone got a name sufix for this type of reactor? CASUC/SUC does not really apply, but no sufix is not right either.

Thanks for reading.

• Possible suffix -CAIHD constantly applied integrated heat dispenser. My thoughts on this are such. This is insanely resource intensive. If you add up the cost to macerate/furnace/all-the-other-stuff-you-need-to-do. This might not work so great compared to the original Ice/Water bucket cooled system. Also if your timings off by a fraction of a second then there is a major chance of kablooey. I don't see how this would be practical unless you become superrich selling EU to a server. Then theres the cooldown factor. You have to let EVERYTHING cool down that might take awhile unless you make so many IHDs that you can continuously loop. You need this many resources to make 1 IHD

ResourceRequiredStacksRaw orecopper dust158glowstone dust2iron dust42lapis lazuli2redstone6rubber6tin dust95

Multiply that by 100?

ResourceRequiredStacksRaw orecopper dust1,12517 stacks, plus 378 stacks, plus 51glowstone dust2003 stacks, plus 8iron dust2503 stacks, plus 581 stack, plus 61lapis lazuli2003 stacks, plus 8redstone6009 stacks, plus 24rubber6009 stacks, plus 24tin dust2774 stacks, plus 212 stacks, plus 11

Holy crap thats exspensive. I'll let you do the rest of the math the resource calc I used is http://lolshame.com/resourcecalculator.php have fun.

Crap the chart didn't show. just plug that into the resource calc sorry.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• haha, I don't think I could claim resource efficiency, especially with 13 reactors needed. although if you consider m1/2-o reactors, to get 640eu/t output you need at least 6? needing 15? IHDs each, so 90 total.
    Personally think I will stick to bucket casuc, but it is interesting to try the logistics for reusable coolant. But I can't see anyone making this in legit play.

could be an alternative to ice casuc (based on compressors and pump) if uranium efficiency is your concern. I measured the eu usage for several cycles, total usage was 8eu/t(1/80th total output) , compared to ~1/6 total power output for compressors + pump. and far less computer intensive as most of the time stuff is just sitting in chests, only time a significant number of items are moving is when the cooling reactors are being filled or emptied.

• Looked back into this a couple days later and this is what I now see. REALLY good design in the long run. This design will, after awhile of course, become more efficient than any ice/water CASUC anybody could make. However, how long does it take? A day? 3 days? 1 week? a month? 6 months?!?!?! You'de need to REALLY love that world. Which some people do I bet. This is pretty ingenious by the time you get this done however. You'll probably be flat broke again. Perfect time to go out and mine some more. So then eventually you can reach your own personal end game and ride it out as long as you want. If THIS isn't your endgame that is. "Yay! I built that Mark-1 CAIHD! Now what? Guess I'll start a new world." I give you props. Sorry if this didn't make a lot of sense I'm kinda thinking about this girl... So yeah.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P