Problem with Cooling-Cell-Extraction out of Cooling-Tower (DDoS)

• Hello i'm new to this forum and got special problem with my ddos setup.
    I wonder if this is already know, as i haven't found anything on this topic via forumsearch.

I'm playing FTB Mindcrack Pack 8.2.0 (IC2 1.1152231-lf) and wanted to build a Nuclear reactor using "Decentralized Distribution of Steam", as described in this forum. Therefor, I wanted to use this cooling tower system.

Attached to the Cooling tower is an RP2 Filter with a "non-damaged" Cooling Cell.
    The Problem now is, that i cant extract the Cooling-Cell, because their damagevalue is "flickering on/off", when i look at the Cooling-Tower inventory.

To me, it looks like a tiny damagevalue bounces around from the cooling cell to their adjacent Heat-Exchangers and Heatvents. So most of the time i pulse the filter, it can't extract the Cells because they have a little damage on them. When manually extracting the cooling cells the bouncing stops, but still some heat exchangers never loose their damage bar.

I played around with it and the problem doesn't occure when using Advanced Heat Exchangers or only Component heat vents.
    Of course the cooling Capacity is then crippled.
    Has anybody else encountered this problem, is it a bug ?

Thx for the help
    Andi

• Hmmm... I haven't experienced this, but I think I'm familiar enough with the mechanics to see the problem and solution...

Here's how it works.

Okay. When heat is pulled out from an item via a heat exchanger, it shares the heat with the adjacent components. Then it looks at the components nearby and distributes the heat appropriately. For the vast majority of the cycle, this isn't a problem, because the cooling cell has far more heat than the other three adjacent components. Unfortunately, at the end of the cycle, it will try to evenly distribute the heat, including a small portion back to the cooling cell.

And here's why it's generally not a problem:

FIrst off, it doesn't consider more than 99% full to be 'damaged' for some reason. Which gives you plenty of a buffer for this sort of thing. Second off, the component heat vent takes care of the little bits returned to the cooling vent.

Which means, if you are seeing this behavior, it probably means you've got a bit of heat left, and you should let it cool an additional micro-cycle. You probably tried to cut the cycle times a bit too close. Happens to the best of us.

• Hello ShneekeyTheLost,
    thx for the explanation of the component-mechanics, that sounds very reasonable.

Following that, i did some further testing with my setup and let the cells stay in the cooling tower for a longer time.
    Netherless, the damagevalues still keep bouncing on and off the reactor-components and the cells.
    Unfortunately the thing with ">99% damage" also doesnt work for me.

I wanna give an example to describe what happens:
    In my world undamaged cells have the item-ID "60k Coolant Cell 30099".
    After cooldown in the tower, the item-ID keeps changing between like "60k Coolant Cell 30099:8" , "60k Coolant Cell 30099:5", "60k Coolant Cell 30099:1" and "60k Coolant Cell 30099".
    Via testing i found out that the filter - with the non-damaged cell - will pull out only "60k Coolant Cell 30099" and "60k Coolant Cell 30099:1" .
    When i put "60k Coolant Cell 30099:5" in the Filter it will pull out cells regardless of how much damage they have, as long as they are damaged.

I have to add, that I didn't time the filter on my cooling tower with regards to the cooling-cycle time.
    To keep matters simple, I just set it to 1 sec, so that it would pull out any fully cooled cells as soon as possible and put it in a buffer for the reactor.
    Thats why i needed them to stay in their undamaged state after cooldown, because otherwise they wouldn't be sucked out of the cooling towers reliably.

Anyways, it seems i've found a workaround.
    I tested the same system with 30k Coolant Cells as well as all the other typs of Helium and NAK cells and the describe "damage-bouncing" doesn't appear.
    Guess i'm gonna have to use those for now, although they are kind of expensiv.

Have a good Day
    byby